Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
The touchy GO Launcher discussions

I thought what we did here was report our experiences, ask questions and help others. The GO thing has evoked responses anywhere from "Oh, I see," to "You can't be right about GO, you didn't test it in a sterile lab with a virgin KF" to one that sounds like "sux for you, use the ugly bookshelves then" tho not in those exact words.
Really? I'm a little surprised by these responses. When someone reports a problem THEY have had, I don't think (tho I could be wrong) they are saying "You must all listen to me and remove that app immediately." They are simply saying "this is what happened to me" not "it will happen to you too and you are bound for destruction."

Could we use a bit of a lighter touch?

I fell down my front steps and was injured a few months ago. When I mentioned it to other people, no one said, "You must have been walking incorrectly" or "It must be something else on the steps that made you fall" or "I've used steps and NEVER had a problem" or "Where did you get the steps? They must be made of crappy concrete." Hear what I'm saying?
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
74Cuda
MaxPuppy Rules
74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Acer A200
I've been watching those two threads myself and even participated in one of them. I agree on the direction those threads are going. You are not alone in your observation. Hopefully they will get back to being more helpful and less critical.
74Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I thought what we did here was report our experiences, ask questions......."
Well that's what people are doing, trying to gather as much information
as they can from the people who report that their kindle has malfunctioned while running a very popular piece of third party Home screen software.

"bug hunting" requires specific info about the numerous variables that may have contributed to the problem
(What version,configuration etc.)

If you are not interested in finding the cause and would rather just get rid of the **suspected** applications and move on that's fine... drop the subject.

But if you enter every Go launcher thread and announce: "back to the grey book shelves for me because Go launcher etc etc etc !!!..... "

then people are going to be curious and respond to your postings about your problems with software that they themselves are running on the same Device.
if for no other reason to try to avoid some combination of programs that might disrupt the function of their Kindle fires.

Last edited by Anabran; 02-23-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
as they can from the people who report that their kindle has malfunctioned while running a very popular piece of third party Home screen software.

"bug hunting" requires specific info about the numerous variables that may have contributed to the problem
Exactly! There a thread on XDA or Amazon's Kindle forum about a guy who had relatives over for Christmas together they had 4 KFs He installed the same apk of GL on all 4. 2 of the KF immediately wouldn't go past the logo screen like my KF did and two acted just fine. So it's hard to find out the cause of what could cause it. The guy returned the two to Best Buy and got replacements. I don't think they ever came back and said what happened next.

For those who have no problems that's great! For those who have had problems and had to explain it to a Kindle Support guy you are more cautious. I wouldn't want to have to explain to them I installed the same app again and it did the same thing as my previous. They may not be so nice next time.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
OK, I have been using GO Launcher for about a month now. On a different ROM, but you know... It's still the same hardware.

Spoiler:

Have you guys ever thought, that there is a slight possibility, besides the typical "Oh, Amazon just doesn't want us to use it and force the bookshelves on us" remark, that MAYBE there is some other issues with the launcher when used with the Amazon build? Which is why it's not officially listed as being supported anymore?

Amazon really, really made huge changes to the stock ROM, so much that they've overridden a lot of the default Android stuff to make it work for them. There are issues with GO Launcher when paired with the default Kindle setup, and that's a fact.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 02-25-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
OK, I have been using GO Launcher for about a month now. On a different ROM, but you know... It's still the same hardware.

Have you guys ever thought, that there is a slight possibility, besides the typical "Oh, Amazon just doesn't want us to use it and force the bookshelves on us" remark, that MAYBE there is some other issues with the launcher when used with the Amazon build? Which is why it's not officially listed as being supported anymore?

Amazon really, really made huge changes to the stock ROM, so much that they've overridden a lot of the default Android stuff to make it work for them. There are issues with GO Launcher when paired with the default Kindle setup, and that's a fact.
Pretty! I totally agree with you. I took a chance and now I decided it's not worth it. I mean what if the next firmware update happens to cause more issues with Go! That was my biggest decision to stay away from other launchers. Mine happen after a firmware update. So I'm just being overly cautious.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

Well said! Bravo. I seriously doubt Amazon has sabotaged any apps, at least not on purpose. Why should they? They are more interested in selling as many apps, books, videos, etc. as possible, and to do so means keeping the customer happy. Amazon is doing what the a$$holes at Apple stopped doing after the Apple II, that is they are allowing a lot of tweaking and modifying of the KF to keep us happy little shoppers busy spending money with them. It is a very smart business model--one which might eventually bite Apple in the their bank account.

I totally agree that if there is an issue with Go Launcher on the KF it is the developer who must be at fault. Although "at fault" is not quite the correct term either as the developer is under no obligation to verify their app will run correctly on the KF. It would be good to know if the developer has or has not actually tested their app on the KF.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:

I haven't tried GO Launcher EX on the Fire but when you run GO Launcher from the Fire's default Home Screen (aka launcher) are you running a launcher on top of another launcher?

For example, if I install GO Launcher on another Android Tablet such as my Pocket Edge and I press Home, I receive a "Complete this action using" pop-up message from which I can select to use the standard Android Launcher (Launcher) or GO Launcher EX by default.

I can even install multiple Home Screen launchers like ADW Launcher, Zeam, GO Launcher EX, and Launcher 7 just to name a few, and then I can choose which one I want to use as my Home Screen launcher. However, I can only use ONE at a time. I can't run multiple Launchers at the same time. If I wanted to change the Home Screen Launcher I have to Clear Defaults for that Launcher. Much like if you want to use App over another you have to clear the defaults to force the "Complete this action using" pop-up message and selection of a new default App.

I own a Viewsonic gTab which has a similar proprietary Home Screen Launcher (Viewsonic's Tap N Tap interface), however the option exists to use the Classic Android Launcher or even another launcher like the ones above.

I think Amazon is probably aware that many Fire owners don't particularly like the Bookshelf Home Screen and may in fact be working on a major revision which allows the user to select either the Bookshelf Home Screen Launcher or an alternative Android Home Screen Launcher.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-23-2012 at 05:30 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You can select GO Launcher as default on the KF stock ROM... But yes, let's hope Amazon is working on their method of how they tweak their stuff so it doesn't interfere with the typical Android stuff.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I haven't tried GO Launcher EX on the Fire but when you run GO Launcher from the Fire's default Home Screen (aka launcher) are you running a launcher on top of another launcher?

For example, if I install GO Launcher on another Android Tablet such as my Pocket Edge and I press Home, I receive a "Complete this action using" pop-up message from which I can select to use the standard Android Launcher (Launcher) or GO Launcher EX by default.

I can even install multiple Home Screen launchers like ADW Launcher, Zeam, GO Launcher EX, and Launcher 7 just to name a few, and then I can choose which one I want to use as my Home Screen launcher. However, I can only use ONE at a time. I can't run multiple Launchers at the same time. If I wanted to change the Home Screen Launcher I have to Clear Defaults for that Launcher. Much like if you want to use App over another you have to clear the defaults to force the "Complete this action using" pop-up message and selection of a new default App.

I own a Viewsonic gTab which has a similar proprietary Home Screen Launcher (Viewsonic's Tap N Tap interface), however the option exists to use the Classic Android Launcher or even another launcher like the ones above.

I think Amazon is probably aware that many Fire owners don't particularly like the Bookshelf Home Screen and may in fact be working on a major revision which allows the user to select either the Bookshelf Home Screen Launcher or an alternative Android Home Screen Launcher.
Yes you are running it over the default launcher. If you let it be default you can't read on the Kindle app or listen to music...etc. So the answer is to switch back and forth which is really easy to do. The problem is if Go! crashes or corrupts while you are using it you are gonna get stuck at the logo screen or something similar. Fixing it can be done but you need to root the device and at the time it happened to me you couldn't do that due to the tools not being updated. It's alot of steps and command lines and then you risk bricking it even further.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While I love the true android look of my KF

Frankly it was the "Carousel" that I hated the most and how it kept a huge shortcut icon to every document and web page you ever opened.
and the only way to clean it up was to press& hold each one individually and select "remove"

Anyway I am three weeks on with GL version 2.78 as my default home screen with rotating wall paper and my own custom wall paper images , so it seems I have not hit upon the magic combination that causes the problems.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I went to the Go Launcher page at the Amazon Store and its listed as INCOMPATIBLE with the Kindle Fire.

If one wants to use it, why not wait until Amazon changes the listing to compatible? That leaves the decision to the pros.

Even better, why not wait until a version appears with the following phrase: Kindle Fire Edition?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

If you are not interested in finding the cause and would rather just get rid of the **suspected** applications and move on that's fine... drop the subject.

But if you enter every Go launcher thread and announce: "back to the grey book shelves for me because Go launcher etc etc etc !!!..... "

then people are going to be curious and respond to your postings about your problems with software that they themselves are running on the same Device.
if for no other reason to try to avoid some combination of programs that might disrupt the function of their Kindle fires.
And there is the over the top kind of response I was talking about. Sorry. I have no idea what is going on. Does everyone have stock i the thing?

Last edited by beej231; 02-24-2012 at 01:13 AM. Reason: rude
Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
beej231
Addict

Quote:

I was interested in finding the cause but I have no use for juvenile bickering. IF people were behaving as tho they were curious about the problem that would be nice. But the posts really seemed aimed at saying how IT JUST ISN"T POSSIBLE that GL caused the problem I suspect that this has more to do with some know it all folks seeing who has the biggest manly appendage.

Last edited by beej231; 02-24-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: rude
Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #15
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"I went to the Go Launcher page at the Amazon Store and its listed as INCOMPATIBLE with the Kindle Fire."
Your point is well taken sir
But we are adults and we all have seen this Disclaimer:
"Your kindle and personal Data are less secure and there is a risk of unexpected behavior when using application from unknown.....etc etc"

Amazon likely predicted people would scream "CLOSED GARDEN!!"if they had completely software locked buyers
from side loading "unofficial" android applications on the Fire.
Obviously they expected that a certain percentage of people would be doing so at their own risk.