Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Just got my 650 -- better than I thought

My PRS-650 just arrived today. I decided on a Sony after much research, watching You Tube videos, and the feedback on Mobile Read -- I live in the sticks, so it would have been a very long drive to get to a place where I could see one in person. I had originally decided on a 950, but finally went with the 650, partly because it comes in black (avoiding any extra glare into my older eyes) and because I simply ran out of patience. I've spent the past few years not reading, and I'm more than anxious to begin again, now with the ability to crank up the print size as needed.

I have to say that, even after all of my research, I am still very pleasantly surprised (thrilled, actually) by how easy and totally intuitive it is. It was ready to go right out of the box, charged to 4 bars (but I charged it anyway, just to be sure). I used Calibre to transfer over a selection of the books I had already downloaded -- and that was easy as pie, too. I'll admit I worried a bit, having also read negative reviews of Sony here, but at this point I'm ecstatic over my new toy that allows me to read again.

So now I'm settling in to begin actually reading. The text size is adjusted to large (with XL and XXL as yet unneeded), which is working out just fine. So I'm a very happy camper, with a to-read list at least a mile long and getting longer by the day. Whoopee!!!
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Great to hear, UTC!

I've had mine a few weeks now, and I can report one negative issue ... the touch swiping has made my screen a bit messy ... but maybe I have oily digits? I also have a bit of ADD, so have sternly lectured myself: "No - you can't start a fifth book until you finish one of the four current ones!"
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Device: PRS-650
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Under the Covers View Post
My PRS-650 just arrived today.
Glad to hear that! Mine just arrived this morning too, so I totally understand how you feel right now
Quote:
.... and because I simply ran out of patience. I've spent the past few years not reading, and I'm more than anxious to begin again, now with the ability to crank up the print size as needed.
I know how that feels! ONLY 3 new books read every year is a frustrating statistics. I can no longer say my hobby is reading T_T
Quote:
It was ready to go right out of the box, charged to 4 bars (but I charged it anyway, just to be sure).
It is good practice to charge any battery powered device (different kind needs different treatment but this is still a good generalization) for the first time after it went out of factory, to charge it overnight for at least 8 hours.*

Quote:
So I'm a very happy camper, with a to-read list at least a mile long and getting longer by the day. * Whoopee!!!
May I suggest we start at mobileread's classic camp...*

God.. seeing fellow excited readers like this is what makes coming here worthwhile
lack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
lack
Zealot
lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.lack has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
the touch swiping has made my screen a bit messy ... but maybe I have oily digits? I also have a bit of ADD, so have sternly lectured myself: "No - you can't start a fifth book until you finish one of the four current ones!"

about the oily fingers, I got the same issue so I'm thinking on getting a protective screen but I'm afraid it'll have bad effects on readability and touch sensors..
Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'll admit I had to chuckle about the oily fingers bit. Keeping the screen in good condition is something I definitely want to do -- and I do use hand lotion... ... though it would certainly prevent scratches, making me yet another oily-fingered reader.

And I love the "classic camp" idea. But I'm back to my old "Just a minute!" while I continue reading, so I may never make it to camp...
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I've been using my 350 every day for over a month now, and the only time I ever saw fingerprints on the screen was when it was lying flat on the kitchen table and the sun hit it juuuusssttt right.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Congrats on your new readers Under the Covers and Lack!! Hope you both end up enjoying your new readers as much as I'm enjoying mine!!

I've had the same experience as NNolan--don't notice fingerprints unless the light is hitting the screen just right. I do clean my screen with eyeglass wipes once a week or so.

I also use the buttons for page turning about 50% of the time--just depends on which seems to be more comfortable at the moment.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I had my new 650 for about 2 weeks now so I have noticed some good things and some slightly annoying things about it compared to my trusty 505.
Good
Screen is excellent and doesn't fade in direct sunlight. My 505 partly faded when direct sunlight after awhile. Screen is much whiter and heaps faster page turns when I read the same ebook on both devices.

Database refreshes heaps faster when you unplug it from computer than what the 505 does.

Dictionary lookup is excellent. I don't know how we did without it before. I used to just skip over words I didn't know before as I couldn't be bothered finding out the definition.

Slightly annoying.
DC charge jack is now gone so you can't read while charging
USB cable is now micro instead of mini meaning my usb charger can no longer be used until I buy a spare cable to plug into my charger.

Sometimes the page doesn't turn when you swipe and a couple of times it didn't turn when I clicked the button. Anyone else had that happen ?

I think there's a problem with creating collections on the reader.The added order doesn't seem to match the order you added them on. If you add them in a bulk lot it seems to pick it own order when you look at the collection. If you pick them one by one the order seems to change when you check it later. Quite strange I'll have to see if this happens when you create collections with the Sony Library software instead.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
IDC charge jack is now gone so you can't read while charging
USB cable is now micro instead of mini meaning my usb charger can no longer be used until I buy a spare cable to plug into my charger.
Most recent devices are all micro USB, so that is a trend Sony is following. If you have a micro USB charger, you can read while charging.

Glad you're mostly happy with it, though.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
a couple of times it didn't turn when I clicked the button. Anyone else had that happen?
Yes, I thought maybe I hadn't pressed hard enough, although was pretty certain I'd used roughly the same pressure as always - thanks for the confirmation!

Last edited by SeaBookGuy; 11-07-2010 at 12:31 AM.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Sometimes the page doesn't turn when you swipe and a couple of times it didn't turn when I clicked the button. Anyone else had that happen?
Yes, I've had it happen a few times when clicking the button. I just assumed that I didn't press hard enough and that the switch didn't make contact.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Sometimes the page doesn't turn when you swipe and a couple of times it didn't turn when I clicked the button. Anyone else had that happen ?
I've had that happen on my 350, and also on every other brand of reader I own at one time or another, so I don't worry about it.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
That happens sometimes.
It seems it's the same problem as for the 505, 900 and maybe other Sony Readers.

But it doesn't happen too often so i just ignore this one.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
My PRS-650 just arrived today. I decided on a Sony after much research, watching You Tube videos, and the feedback on Mobile Read -- I live in the sticks, so it would have been a very long drive to get to a place where I could see one in person. I had originally decided on a 950, but finally went with the 650, partly because it comes in black (avoiding any extra glare into my older eyes) and because I simply ran out of patience. I've spent the past few years not reading, and I'm more than anxious to begin again, now with the ability to crank up the print size as needed.
Ditto on all counts, except that
1)I'm in India and could not have gone and seen one physically even if I were prepared for a long drive.
2) I just like black. Period.
Also I thought the 950 was a bit bulky and I didn't really want wifi or 3-G on my reader. I'm already distracted enough
3) I've also not been reading much the past 2-3 years, mainly because I've been relocating a lot and it gets difficult transporting a lot of books that's the main reader why I got the Reader.

Quote:
I have to say that, even after all of my research, I am still very pleasantly surprised (thrilled, actually) by how easy and totally intuitive it is. It was ready to go right out of the box, charged to 4 bars (but I charged it anyway, just to be sure). I used Calibre to transfer over a selection of the books I had already downloaded -- and that was easy as pie, too. I'll admit I worried a bit, having also read negative reviews of Sony here, but at this point I'm ecstatic over my new toy that allows me to read again.

So now I'm settling in to begin actually reading. The text size is adjusted to large (with XL and XXL as yet unneeded), which is working out just fine. So I'm a very happy camper, with a to-read list at least a mile long and getting longer by the day. Whoopee!!!
Ditto :-) Only I have exams for 2 weeks, so mine is stowed away for the moment. And I prefer the small and medium font.

I'm 24, I assume w.r.t. the older eyes comment you are significantly more advanced in years. Everything in your post is just the way I'd have said it ! Interesting how some things are universal beyond age groups and geographies.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
lack
Zealot

Quote:
Dictionary lookup is excellent. I don't know how we did without it before. I used to just skip over words I didn't know before as I couldn't be bothered finding out the definition.
second this. For me who is not a native english speaker this is a blessing. I used t skip the words I don't understand

But the dictionary lookup is unforgiving for big thumbs Especially my thumbs T_T
Quote:
I do. Tolerably not so often though. Glad you pointed this out. Nearly thought I got a bad unit.

Others, Anyone finds the bookmarking is rather picky? Or is it again just my big fat fingers?