Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #16
katzenstreik
Winged Ape
katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.katzenstreik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Maybe they checked if the roaming data would burn their money
That might very well be, but what if they now decide to take the access back? Let us wait a month for 2.5.3?
katzenstreik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #17
a-2
a-2 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
@dfigueroa I've just done it, takes 6 minutes and really works.
Thank you guys very much it was great of you to upload the files. Great gift for my birthday (actually tomorrow)
a-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated and just checked my email on the K2i. Absolutely amazing, Kindle 2 is by faaaaaar the best gadget with the free 3g connection.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #19
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Well, VirgoGoddess over on the Amazon Kindle board convinced me. 2.52 is now installing. The other two updates went pretty quickly.

The only question I have is why are the .bin files zipped? There was almost no difference in size, .bin files don't compress. It's confusing to the non-computer literati.

I checked my Kindle after installing 2.3.3, BIG difference in the refresh rate. Wish I'd known about that update before.

I could upload the unzipped files to my server, but the hit it would take from the downloads would probably tick off my webhost, who rakes in a huge $6.25 a month for my three domains, stmp and pop service

I don't have any sites up, but I used one of my domains for hosting pics when I sold on Ebay...they're still sitting there, I feel so guilty. Well, he used to get 900 dollars a month from me back in the good old days of .com riches, so I guess I'm even now, lol.
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfigueroa View Post
The only question I have is why are the .bin files zipped? There was almost no difference in size, .bin files don't compress. It's confusing to the non-computer literati.
Because this forum only allows bin file attachments of 1MB or less. Zip's and RAR's can be up to 20MB. The bin files could of course be uploaded to Mediafire or some other file sharing site if it's really that big of a deal.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #21
dfigueroa
La Guera en Manzanillo
dfigueroa is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Update done..took me about 15 minutes altogether, my wireless here in Mexico isn't all that fast, so downloading took a while.

I now have 2.5.2 installed. Haven't started on collections, but the web browser is MUCH, much faster.

I'm not going to spend 3 hours doing folders yet, I'll wait until after I've done my 'chores' for the day. Have to make picadillo de cerdo for lunch and bip on over to the Comercial Mexicana and check on their Wednesday veggies specials

Thanks for the help.
dfigueroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
kornhill
kornhill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Just got my kindle 2i, comes with 2.3, upgraded to 2.33 just now. Will follow by 2.34 and then 2.5.2. Already got the duokan system parallel running.

2.5.2 up, but have problem access normal sites. Exactly what is basic page ?
kornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #23
cmdixon
cmdixon began at the beginning.

Oh No! I updated from 2.3 to 2.3.3 with no problem at all. Now I'm trying to update to 2.3.4 and my Kindle is stuck. It's sitting at the screen saying "Your Kindle software is updating." but it hasn't even made it to "stage 1 of" or the status bar hasn't even begun to be filled. I hope that makes sense. It's been like this for about 15 minutes now. I don't want to turn it off for fear of really causing a problem.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Colleen
cmdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #24
pilotdrh2003
Pilot & Reader
pilotdrh2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/3
I had that problem one time, I just did a restart and it worked fine. That was with an older update, no problems with these.
pilotdrh2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #25
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
May I make a suggestion. Those of you that removed your hacks and are waiting for the US version or DX versions. Please put your hacks back on.

Here's why:

With the hacks on, the update will download to your Kindle, but because of the hacks it won't install. It will just sit there. You will know it's there because your Kindle will not go to sleep. As soon as I picked my Kindle up and saw that it was on the Home page, I KNEW I had the update (the same thing happened with the 2.3 update) I hooked up my Kindle computer and there it was.

Once it's there, all you need to do is copy it to your computer, upload the file for others to share, then remove the hacks and install the update. It's REALLY easy!
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
helenrt
helenrt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I have the k2i .bin file for 2.5.2...

Thank you ever so much, it works great. I have made a small donation, not for the upgrade, but for the great cause. Our prayers go with you and yours.
helenrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #27
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Appreciated and welcomed the update.

Thanks a bunch, luvmy4brats!

Ditto helenrt.

Last edited by jglerner; 06-09-2010 at 01:10 PM.
jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
cmdixon
cmdixon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdrh2003 View Post
I had that problem one time, I just did a restart and it worked fine. That was with an older update, no problems with these.
Thank You! I guess I just needed someone else to tell me it would be alright. I restarted and continued on and now I have 2.5.2! Yay! Thank you everyone!

Colleen
cmdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #29
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenrt View Post
Thank you ever so much, it works great. I have made a small donation, not for the upgrade, but for the great cause. Our prayers go with you and yours.
Thank you so much! Every donation helps me towards my goal.
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #30
Walker
Walker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
@pilotdrh2003
Attachments pending approval. does this mean the files are no long available

Last edited by Walker; 06-09-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote