Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
public library books

I've read the site and seen the hype but nowhere can I find the details on how the 900 will get public library books. Does anyone have more info on it or do we need to wait for someone to get it and try it (hopefully today)?

From what I can see from looking and poking I do not find the library finder in the online store, nor is there mention of it in the user manual. I'm starting to think that is going to be a strictly download and then sideload to the reader process. I hope not, I was looking forward to being able to do it over the wireless.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
mteneyck
mteneyck began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Accessing library books is not limited to the 900. I have recently purchased a 600 have a couple of books loaded up already. The service runs through Overdrive. Here is an article with more information and links to access participating libraries: http://www.overdrive.com/aboutus/get...cleID=20090812
mteneyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
mteneyck
mteneyck began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
dsvick, i re-read your question and see that you are asking how it accesses the libraries, not if or where. my answer probably won't help then as i haven't seen the 900 yet.
mteneyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't know for sure... but I would be very surprised if you could access the library via the wireless.

If it is possible it would be very nice indeed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Good question, I was under the impression that you could wirelessly download library books to the prs900; at least I was when I news first leaked about the 900, I can't recall having read anything about it lately, come to think about it. Who knows, maybe that is a feature that will be added later through firmware updates?
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The Sony site doesn't say anything about wirelessly getting library books, just that you can get at library books.

This is part of the Overdrive program a lot of libraries have jumped on board, as Overdrive uses Adobe's DRM for the lending process. Because of that, it works with pretty much all the Sony Readers.

The only wireless access I see the 900 getting is to Sony's store. So periodicals, paid books, and probably Google Books that you can get through Sony's store today.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Library books available

I located librarires via the Sony store with books available. However, I am not interested in any of their books.

Thus, I would rather purchase books which interest me.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I located librarires via the Sony store with books available. However, I am not interested in any of their books.

Thus, I would rather purchase books which interest me.
You are talking your local public library and what eBooks they have available?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
The libraries that we speak of mostly are the U.S. public libraries that carry ebooks via a subscription service that the library purchases from Overdive. Some libraries like the NYC library, the San Jose Calif. library, the Cleveland library and the Seattle City library have fairly good collections for online checkout.

12 months or so ago, there was a press release from Netlibrary indicating that they were entering a venture with Sony to provide access to ebooks as well. Some of the California libraries and the Seattle City library also give access to library card holders to the netlibrary service, but so far all I've seen is a small collection of audio books and a meager selection of pdf's that can not be downloaded to portable devices. Perhaps this is about to change.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
mxgamon
mxgamon began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900
Just did a quick search on Seattle Public Library for Alex Cross. It returned 64 eBooks, in Adobe EPUB eBook format, plus mobipocket for some. So there are popular books available for download, via Overdrive. Currently, I don't think there is any way to directly download to the prs-900. Also, I happen to live close enough to Seattle to get their library card. Maybe the general public doesn't have access to that collection?

I'm getting a new prs-900 later today, so I'm sure I'll soon be exercising the Seattle library and the Sony bookstore.
mxgamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #11
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
PRS-900 wireless connection can be used to only access the Sony Store, nothing else. If you want library books, you'll have to use USB.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is sort of disappointing that they wont be available via wireless, I'm in Cleveland so have access to a pretty decent sized collection. On the other hand I guess I really can't complain too much in that it will only take an extra couple of minutes to checkout and download a book.

I was sort of looking forward to sitting on the couch with my reader, and having my wife ask me what I was doing, and then being able to reply "Checking books out of the library"
Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it'd take Sony working with each to provide access, which is no small task. It isn't a technical hurdle, but one of the sheer amount of work arranging it all, meeting with library systems, getting agreements in place, and so on.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
dsvick
Wizard

I would hope it wouldn't be that involved and that it would be as simple as working with Overdrive to implement something that can be used by all and allow direct downloads through the Sony Store or right to your reader.

Oh well, as I said though, side loading is not a big deal - nowhere near as cool, but certainly not a show stopper.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Well, Overdrive licenses out the tech to libraries. Unless Sony wanted to start a library of their own (and in that case, why not just do a monthly fee 'subscription' service?), they need to talk to the libraries, rather than overdrive. Especially since each library system has its own way of tracking authorized users.