Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2023, 09:48 AM   #61
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't ever mention that program that stole code from DeDRM to make a profit. It's garbage and don't mention it and don't pay for it and don't use it.
sorry i didnt know was only trying to help
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #62
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2022 View Post
sorry i didnt know was only trying to help
No need to apologize. People don’t like epubor here, but there’s no reason you should have known that. It would have been better if you’d got a response that was less about squashing and more about informing.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2023, 10:53 AM   #63
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The calibre plugin makes it appear that it will (there is an option to enter Fire serial number), and maybe it once worked, but no longer.
I don't know if that ever worked but it certainly does not now. The Kindle app on Fire tablets works like the other Kindle apps in that it uses a unique random factor generated when the app is registered with Amazon as part of the DRM key. The serial number alone is not sufficient to determine the key used to encrypt books.

I have been wondering for awhile why Amazon has not done the same thing with e-ink Kindles. That would certainly close up one of the gaping holes in their walled garden. My concern is that they may think it is unnecessary if they plan to block Kindle book downloads in the future anyway. Or perhaps they just don't care and Kindle owners will continue to get a free pass.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:14 AM   #64
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
What is the earliest kindle that to buy to overcome this?
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #65
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Maybe a Kindle Keyboard 3, if those still register. It certainly is oldest that can get azw3/KF8.
Also some S/H Kindles will never register due to being blacklisted.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2023, 11:38 AM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Or perhaps they just don't care and Kindle owners will continue to get a free pass.
They don't care and forcing someone to upgrade a free app isn't at all the same as obsoleting a physical device.

A 1949 record player with stylus/cartridge for microgroove and 33 rpm speed still plays new vinyl. Though curiously the retro-portable record players with 33, 45 & 78 can't play 78s properly unless you change the cartridge & stylus system. A 78 needs a fat round one.

A 1962 Philips compact cassette player (if belt not dozed) will still play.

I have one 1987 CD player, still plays new CDs and my 2002 DVD player still plays new DVDs.

Smashwords still sometimes has new books offering LRF for oldest Sony and pdb for oldest Palm/Symbian/WinCE PDA/phones. All the oldest Sony or other ereaders using epub still work.

The older kindles with WiFi or Mobile can't shop direct, but the very oldest 2007 model Kindle still works via Download for USB Transfer.

They got a load of bad publicity remotely removing ebooks. There is no bad publicity in obsoleting a free app that has a replacement free.

You can still replace the batteries.

So obsoleting an app and a physical Kindle are not the same category.

Mind, the MS Watches with radio data via FM are gone as is MS "Plays for Sure" media.

Amazon did kill off the ebooks they sold before the Kindle (maybe before they bought Mobipocket), but again, those were App only.

I may be misremembering a few details.
Old 01-07-2023, 11:40 AM   #67
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Remember DRM is an illusion that only makes money for the company licencing it, or in case of Amazon, it makes them no money (years ago they did buy it in, but not since azw). My tech Guru says it's doomed. It's gone off Mp3 itunes?
Old 01-07-2023, 12:17 PM   #68
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Remember DRM is an illusion that only makes money for the company licencing it,
Denuvo DRM cracks seem to be happening faster and faster. Denuvo is a very intrusive DRM that affects game performance.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 12:59 PM   #69
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Back when DVD was still a thing, nearly every commercial dvd started a fake FBI warning about jailing pirates, then continued with an unstoppable 2 minutes of anti copying oropaganda, lwith the catch phrase "you wouldn't steal a car would you", It showed a sad loner watching his download everyually fail, while honest people nearby were already enjoying their movie.

The commercial was so annoying it must have encouraged many people to buy drm stripping software which let them copy the dvd, minus the unskippable annoyances. I bought dvdfab, which served me well for many years.( Even though it was made in China and suffered having its website blacklisted ). I just now checked and dvdfab.cn is still alive and well.

Your long analogy lost me somewhere along the way,, I was waiting for the bit about how your record player could not play CDs even when you filipped them over to try playing the other side, but you never got there.

Amazon have completely killed off Amazon drive. All those promises about free lifetime cloud storage for your valuable family photos and home movies just evaporated. Does that count as obsoletiing a physical device?

dvd is now almost dead. Amazon still sell a few but blockbuster.videos is long gone. My obsoleted dvd player expired and got binned. Netflix rules.

As dvd was dying though, we went though many pointless rounds of Hollywood movies trying to made their commercial dvds uncopyable, and each new drm attempt was defeated.

If you are old enough, you may remember sony,'s attempt to stop music cdcopying my actually adding malware that silently damaged your pcs operating system ivy installing nasty malware., that also failed miserably.once exposed

More recently, as already mentioned, we had the denuvo drm damage, which allegedly killed SSD drives future lifespan with constant writes

Not sure what my point is, just enjoying rambling on...

Maybe its that hardening Drm is usually bad. And ultimately pointless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Wo...7t_Steal_a_Car
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_B...ootkit_scandal
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/is-de...th-it.1427579/

Last edited by stumped; 01-07-2023 at 01:06 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:14 PM   #70
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I'm not sure that this is correct. I was able to register my new Kindle that I got for Christmas without having 2 factor authentication turned on...the process was no different than it was for the last few Kindles that I registered.

Shari
I was talking about old Kindles, based on my recent experiences. The newer ones will prompt for code if you are using 2 factor auth. With older ones you have to append to password.

It sounds like you do not have 2 factor turned on. You might consider doing it.

With new Kindles you can also do setup using the Kindle app for iOS or Android, no need to enter Amazon or WiFi credentials. Similar to setting up new iOS devices.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-07-2023 at 01:16 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:07 PM   #71
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
dvd is now almost dead. Amazon still sell a few but blockbuster.videos is long gone. My obsoleted dvd player expired and got binned. Netflix rules.
Hey! I prefer DVDs, have a nice collection, and just bought a new DVD player - when my Philips decided to suck in my DVD of Die Hard (part of a box set!) and refused to give it back! (We took the device apart, removed the DVD, put it back together, and it still works...it's like a speaker thingy. I'll never put another DVD in it! But it plays sound from the TV)

Sorry!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:36 PM   #72
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Maybe its that hardening Drm is usually bad. And ultimately pointless
It impacts legit customers more than the pirates. Since Windows removed support for SecuROM (and rightfully so; it was a huge security hole) I've had to go to shady sites to acquire NoCD cracks to play the games I purchased!

I also have one game that I can never play again because the installer phones home to a website that no longer exists and won't let me proceed past that.
Old 01-08-2023, 06:29 AM   #73
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I was googling around to see if any other sites had picked up on this. One did... by pretty much paraphrasing my first post.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:19 AM   #74
jonathan2022
Connoisseur
jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jonathan2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I was googling around to see if any other sites had picked up on this. One did... by pretty much paraphrasing my first post.
Would be nice if Denver cracking team helped with Amazon kfx drm.
jonathan2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 03:18 PM   #75
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
Hard truth for thought. . .

For those of us very, very, small minority who never and will never own a kindle of any sort and are reading addicts, can we see ourselves, stop purchasing ebooks from Amz?

Not for Amazon as it is clear it matters not to them but for our own principled sakes?

True. There are some authors we like but their books are exclusive to Amz. That said, perhaps we should get to them and publishers asking them to make their books available elsewhere for purchasing as well. If they do, fantastic! Happy reading to us all. If not, likely just strike them off the TBR list until Amz is not the only purchase option?

Easier said than done. . .
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote