Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-16-2008, 06:15 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
I was surprised at the prices at whsmiths, I expected them to be a lot higher. The American stores are still noticably cheaper, but not hugely so.
When you filter in the current dollar / (scottish) pound exchange rate - the US shops are significantly cheaper than the WHSmith prices. Alos, of course, there are no 'added' costs such as p&p - certainly makes any UK store less likely to be able to commercially compete at the moment...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #17
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
one of the books i was looking at is 6.92$ in adobe format, 7.24$ for LIT, and 12.97$ for mobi !!! for the same book !! why ???
When I was buying my digi camera I could buy it for £1120 at Jessops, £1250 on another website and £1450 yet on another. The same kit. Why?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
When I was buying my digi camera I could buy it for £1120 at Jessops, £1250 on another website and £1450 yet on another. The same kit. Why?
well, also a completely valid question, but these were the same book, on the same site, only in a different format. far more inexplicable, to me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #19
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
well, also a completely valid question, but these were the same book, on the same site, only in a different format. far more inexplicable, to me.
Oops. I am sorry. I missed this point (the same site).
My apologizes.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no worries !
Advert
Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #21
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
When you filter in the current dollar / (scottish) pound exchange rate - the US shops are significantly cheaper than the WHSmith prices. Alos, of course, there are no 'added' costs such as p&p - certainly makes any UK store less likely to be able to commercially compete at the moment...
I'm not sure I agree... looking at Fictionwise compared to WHSmiths the prices are the same before rebate for the (limited) number of prices I checked. Didn't check a load, and I don't have time now, back to the Cup Final on the telly!
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
this kind of thing happens because the books in the different formats are posted at different times and were priced independently. Generally sending an email to the dealer will get this kind of thing fixed. Over time the price of a book changes but some sites do not update their databases in a timely fashion.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
this kind of thing happens because the books in the different formats are posted at different times and were priced independently. Generally sending an email to the dealer will get this kind of thing fixed. Over time the price of a book changes but some sites do not update their databases in a timely fashion.

Dale
so there might in fact be a rational explanation ; thanks for the info. i remember some books were only available in one or two formats, not all ; this makes it seem even more plausible.

i still find it rather surprising ; on this site (diesel books), at least among the books i looked at, the different format / different prices were the *rule* rather than the exception (although it was not always double ; usually it was a fairly small difference), including for books which specified "price just reduced from XX$ !". i was intending to buy LIT format but some of the books i wanted were much more expensive in LIT than mobi for example, so i began to hesitate. i will definitely send an email to ask whether the prices will be aligned.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #24
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well,

I looked at a list of some 25 books , comparing prices across 5 e-shops . The dearest $ was Fictionwise ( 'cause I added in one year's club - that came out at somewhere around $160 .
That figure was only dearer by $10-20 to the others - but didn't take into account any of the micropay discounts - so my figures will be somewhat skewed .

Of those 25 books , WHSmith had only 18 , but the cost came to £150 .

Go figure !

Luckily with e-books there is no p&p, no international custom 'extras'.

All "we" need to do is pick the correct day for the best currency rates ( but I bet there'll be a 'banker's' delay which will upset those plans !! )
Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Luckily with e-books there is no p&p, no international custom 'extras'.
Depending on where you buy it, however, you may be charged VAT.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #26
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Depending on where you buy it, however, you may be charged VAT.
um ,
not had that ' problem ' with art dvds I've bought from the US .
Old 03-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
um ,
not had that ' problem ' with art dvds I've bought from the US .
Generally speaking, small packages sent through the normal post will avoid VAT, but things sent via a Courier will always get "hit" for it.

Anyone who runs a web site in the EU has, by law, to charge the appropriate VAT to any customer in the EU. For example if you buy a book from the MobiPocket web site in France, you'll get charged the French VAT rate of 19.6%. Books are "zero rated" for VAT in the UK, but not in France.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Anyone who runs a web site in the EU has, by law, to charge the appropriate VAT to any customer in the EU. For example if you buy a book from the MobiPocket web site in France, you'll get charged the French VAT rate of 19.6%. Books are "zero rated" for VAT in the UK, but not in France.
You claimed that before and I told you it was wrong. It is still wrong. Amazon UK for example charges the Swedish VAT when I buy books from them. If you sell above a certain amount to a country you have to us the VAT of the country you are selling to.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You claimed that before and I told you it was wrong. It is still wrong. Amazon UK for example charges the Swedish VAT when I buy books from them. If you sell above a certain amount to a country you have to us the VAT of the country you are selling to.
No, Tommy, as a general rule it's correct. There are very few bookstores who are sufficiently large companies to fall under that particular law - Amazon is probably the only one. I operate a VAT-registered company myself, so I am aware of the rules.

MobiPocket, for example, are probably the largest eBook store in the EU, and they charge all EU customers the French rate of VAT.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM   #30
GeoffC

Which , therefore , makes the US a more economical source for e-books ?