Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
sunfish62
sunfish62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Trouble Reloading

I posted a question over in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166087 explaining the odd circumstances I have with one particular title that will not reload correctly. The first replier suggested I post in the Calibre forum for better response.

The full details are there, but basically, I loaded a title with a bad cover, and when I attempt to reload the title with a new cover, Calibre refuses to do so. Please look at the post there for more details. I would like to figure out what is (not) going on, and how I can get Calibre to reload this title.

TIA,
David
sunfish62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Delete file from device and resend.
Helen
Ps. You should post the full details here
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
sunfish62

I didn't want to cross post the same information in two places, but it looks like I probably should. WHat I said in the other post was this:

"I'm puzzled. I have a new Fire, and I decided to try a Project Gutenberg title (Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen), just to test out how to use the new toy.

I was able to get the book into Calibre (0.8.32) and uploaded to the Fire using a USB cable. The book appears in my Fire library and is readable. However, the Fire library shows an undifferentiated blue blob image instead of a cover.

So, I used the Edit Metadata window to search for a better cover, and put that in place. I then asked Calibre to reload the book, but it didn't seem to do anything. I examine the job log, and the reload job is 0m 0s for this book.

I have removed the book from the Kindle library every way I can figure out--using the Kindle Remove from Device, going in to the filesystem from my Mac, even deleting it entirely in Calibre.

I have been able in the meantime to find other Gutenberg titles, insert new images into the metadata, and load them into the Kindle library, and they all show with the changed images.

For some reason, Calibre won't try to reload this book. It's almost like Calibre knows it already uploaded this book, and it refuses to do the work again. Can anyone offer me suggestions on what to try next?"

As you can see, I did delete the file and tried to resend, without success.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
sunfish62

Let me try another way: does Calibre have a log file that it monitors and maintains about titles and actions that might affect its behavior in this situation?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Probably a stupid question, but did you reconvert the book before sending it.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
sunfish62

Not stupid, but yes I did. I converted to EPUB and back to MOBI. I just tested it again.

Interestingly, when I load the book, the cover shows at the start of the opened book, but it doesn't show in the library. Is there a second place on the Kindle where the cover image is stored?

David
Old 01-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your fire is likely caching the cover. Delete eth book from the fire. Then reboot your fire and then resend the book from calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
sunfish62

Okay, so here's my stupid question: you say "delete the book from the fire"--but which method should I use? Do I use the Kindle's Remove from Device? Do I use Calibre? Do I go in to the filesystem via the USB cable and delete the files from the OS?

I can report that Remove from Device/Reboot/Reload didn't work.

Last edited by sunfish62; 01-24-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then I have no idea how to convince your Fire to dump its cache.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote