Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A happy new eBook convert

Have recently made the transition to eReading. For me it was largely a practical concern as I didn't want my books to take over my house.

I settled on Kindle 3 Wifi as in Australia it was probably the most for the least. The price was low enough that if I wanted something even better later, at least I didn't pay an excessive amount.

I'm loving the new world that eReading has opened up to me. In Australia we're pretty crippled from an ePublishing point of view, but I can still hunt down a reasonable proportion of the books that I crave.

However, the side-effect of my decision has been exposure to an abundance of fascinating independent authors and free classics. This didn't even factor in my decision, but has become a significant benefit.

Using Calibre to manage my library and Kindle as my go-anywhere "current" bookshelf, I feel like my hunger for books can be sated without having to commission an extension to my house and the eReader technology itself is very satisfying - clear text, no eye-strain, light and even more portable than most books.

Not everything has been unqualified joy - lack of options in Australia particularly for some authors, the whole DRM thing, the crashiness of Kindle 3 Wi-fi etc.. But overall, I'm having a ball.

Anyway - little more than a rave, but I just couldn't keep it inside any longer.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
However, the side-effect of my decision has been exposure to an abundance of fascinating independent authors and free classics. This didn't even factor in my decision, but has become a significant benefit.
Ah, OK, that paragraph started out like you considered it a problem (arg. "side effect") :-)

Quote:
Anyway - little more than a rave, but I just couldn't keep it inside any longer.
Welcome to this brave new world. We've all been there, I suppose, and I for one certainly don't want to go back.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Caleb. Yup, geographical restrictions on the sale of many titles hits those outside the USA and UK hardest. And DRM is a pest everywhere. As you say, though, there's no shortage of reading material out there in spite of these nuiisances. Happy Kindling and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #4
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Hi Caleb, i'm so pleased you are enjoying the wonderfull world of digital reading.

I am also a happy Aussie Kindle owner, so i can relate to all you say, i'm pleased you found this forum, it has helped me to no end, so a big welcome to you and continue to enjoy your kindle ..
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of ebooks (warts and all).

Lee
ps: warts for the ebooks....not you
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert