Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How often do you upgrade software for your handheld?
Immediately when an update becomes available 3 30.00%
Usually a few days later to hear first what others have to say about the update 2 20.00%
Weeks or months later depending on how important the update is to me 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
How often to upgrade your software

I'm not good when it comes to regularly upgrading software for my handheld. Often 2-3 months behind, I find the process of upgrading annoying and often not without difficulties. I guess I live by the old saying "Never change a running system" (or, in other words, "Move your butt as little as possible"). Well, after having experienced two nasty crashes in iSilo this week, I decided that today would be the perfect day for bringing my handheld up-to-date:
  • iSilo V4.25 -> V4.28
  • Resco Explorer 2003 V5.10 -> 2005 V5.21
  • Softick CardExport II V2.02 -> V2.04
  • TVGuide V0.6.0.127 -> V0.6.2.142
  • NewsBreak V1.0 -> V1.1
  • GSPlayer V2.15 -> V2.22
  • TCPMP V0.65y -> V0.66e

So far everything works fine and I don't regret any of these updates. But I'm curious: How regularly do you update software for your handheld?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
If it's a major upgrade or I'm having problems that the new version fixes, then I upgrade right away. If not, I take the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" approach, as I have often experienced more problems after upgrading than staying with the current version that was working fine.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I took "Weeks or months later", as I only upgrade when I hear an upgrade is available, usually.

Or on the odd chance I'm having a problem with something, I look for an upgrade. It's like with my OSX software - I only upgrade when I know something new is out. That's why I like having apps notify me when a new version is available...
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If it's stable and works well, I don't generally update unless there's features I just can't pass up. Especially true for mature programs that pretty much do the job just fine.

But I jump on updates for a programs that are either a little buggy or maybe just don't have all the features I'd like.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #5
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
I'm with Bob on this. An exception is if I'm beta testing for a developer, then I'm on their schedule.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am such a nerd that I love any kind of software updates. It makes me feel warm and safe to push version numbers up, even if's only a small digit behind the comma.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
maceyr
Palm Discoverer
maceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it ismaceyr knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 & Zire 71
Unless it's some really big update fix, as in a security patch that I ABSOLUTELY NEED to patch, I usually don't. I always find that a lot of updates and upgrades are buggy and cause more problems than the older version. If the program is working fine, I usually don't upgrade. Especially with Palm apps where the small size is quite important since most times the upgrade doesn't offer THAT much more in terms of features (that I usually don't need), I find I prefer the older versions of software compared to the newer ones.

I keep an archive of programs in my computer as a backup just in case I need to go back to them because most times, I find the old ones offer a smaller size and faster running than the newer and "better" version. Why do I need a bloated alarm app or any app for that matter when something much smaller and simpler will suffice? But that's just my opinion.
maceyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I usually update whenever I find out about a new version. I realize that new versions are created to fix bugs, not to make new ones. By the time I find out about the next version, usually the developer has gotten a bunch of feedback from the "bleeding edgers" that it's usually safe for me to download and install. If the feedback is negative, or if they say that the new version takes away anything, then I just stay with the older version for the time being.
POL9A

Last edited by Pride Of Lions; 09-17-2005 at 10:57 PM. Reason: weird grammar.
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
I always update right away, but roll back in case of trouble. For instance, I'm now using Firefox 1.0.5 because 1.0.6 crashes constantly.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
OldVersion.com
"Because newer is not always better."
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I always update as soon as I hear that one's available, though I don't go out of my way looking for updates (isilo are nice and send me a little email telling me to update, so I'm always bleeding edge there ).

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote