Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #1
silverfern
silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kobo glo
Oliver Twist

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, from New Zealand, and obviously enjoy reading when I can. I just wanted to say Hi and share my thoughts on my latest read.

I don't know if this is in the right place, so admin please feel free to move it if it's not.

I have just finished reading Oliver Twist - a book that has taken me 34 years to get round to trying. I'm not sure why, it's just never been high on my list. I've read a few Dickens' novels and have enjoyed most of them.

But I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed it. I've never seen the musical or any other version, so I had no preconceived ideas about it. It's wonderfully dark and horrific and shows the worst of the English Victorian world. I really feel it's a book that should teach us what not to go back to and what 'civilised' societies are capable of in different times.

There is just so much to talk about with this book. What I was so surprised with was the reviews I found of it online. I only read these after finishing the book, but so many people hate it. I can't imagine how anyone could not like it!

What are your thoughts on it if you've read it?

Cate.
silverfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I tend to find Dickens' prose a bit too rich for my taste. I wouldn't go and complain about it online (erm, isn't that what I'm doing right now?) but it does mean I don't turn to his work when I'm looking for something to read.

I don't think I've read Oliver Twist, and I doubt I'm likely to.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I really like Dickens, but Oliver Twist was not my favorite novel. I'd put it in about the middle. The musical version , Oliver!, though I did not care for at all. It definitely smooths out the hard edges and social injustice message of the book. I almost expected the film to end with the entire cast, including a miraculously returned to the living Nancy, performing a song and dance finale. The 1948 film Oliver Twist is a much better adaption of the book.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One of my favourite books - as you say, it's very dark in its atmosphere. One very minor point - it's not portraying the Victorian world, but that of her predecessor, William IV. You'll note that, at the end of the book, when the police come to arrest Bill Sykes, they tell him to open the door "in the King's name". The book was actually published in 1838, the first year of Victoria's reign.

You may be interested in the thoroughly proof-read versions of all Dickens's novels I've created for the MobileRead library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I started it some yrs back and never got round to finishing the story at the time. I can't recall why. I do mean to go back and finish it one of these days. Dickens is often auto-biographical in his stories and while he wasn't an orphan he did have a very poor childhood during which his father was often in debtor's prison I understand. From what I remember I also enjoyed the book.
Spoiler:
I think I was close to the point where Fagin and Bill Sykes were trying to go after Oliver when I stopped.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 02:04 AM   #6
silverfern
silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!silverfern rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kobo glo
Ah, sorry HarryT, I just think of all of Dickens' books being Victorian as so many of his stories were. As I'm new here I'm not sure where your proof read versions are? I'd love to read some more.

It always astounds me how certain books get pigeonholed as 'childrens' books. I feel this one has had that tag for a long time. But it's far from a children's story, sure it has children in it, but the true story is about how society treated the poor etc.

And I agree that Dickens wrote a lot of autobiographical stuff. I actually haven't read the most famous one in that regard - does anyone recommend David Copperfield?
silverfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfern View Post
As I'm new here I'm not sure where your proof read versions are? I'd love to read some more.
Scroll down the main page of the forum until you come to the Patricia Clark Memorial Library (or directly here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
and choose the subsection for your reader (kindle/epub ??).

Or use the Search function with the keyword Dickens.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfern View Post
Ah, sorry HarryT, I just think of all of Dickens' books being Victorian as so many of his stories were. As I'm new here I'm not sure where your proof read versions are? I'd love to read some more.

It always astounds me how certain books get pigeonholed as 'childrens' books. I feel this one has had that tag for a long time. But it's far from a children's story, sure it has children in it, but the true story is about how society treated the poor etc.

And I agree that Dickens wrote a lot of autobiographical stuff. I actually haven't read the most famous one in that regard - does anyone recommend David Copperfield?

Dickens is considered a writer of the Victorian era (and is generally regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian period). Other famous Victorian writers include Anthony Trollope, Wilkie Collins, and a number of other writers of that period.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-14-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Dickens is considered a writer of the Victorian era (and is generally regarded as the greatest novelist of the Victorian period). Other famous Victorian writers include Antony Trollope, Wilkie Collins, and a number of other writers of that period.
He is indeed, but his first two books, "The Pickwick Papers", and "Oliver Twist", predate the reign of Victoria.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I really like Dickens, but Oliver Twist was not my favorite novel. I'd put it in about the middle. The musical version , Oliver!, though I did not care for at all. It definitely smooths out the hard edges and social injustice message of the book. I almost expected the film to end with the entire cast, including a miraculously returned to the living Nancy, performing a song and dance finale. The 1948 film Oliver Twist is a much better adaption of the book.
Yes, a much better adaptation, David Lean was the director. Lean also directed an adaptation of "Great Expectations" that is marvelous.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Yes, but I still love the musical and it does have Oliver Reed as Bill Sikes to keep things from getting too sugary.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Yes, but I still love the musical and it does have Oliver Reed as Bill Sikes to keep things from getting too sugary.
Yep and Ron Moody played Fagin in that version. It's held up well for a movie that's 45 yrs old. Of course the book is considerably older and still holds its own as well. Mr. Dickens was a great writer in general, not just in the Victorian era.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #13
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
My favourite musical adaptation of a Dicken's novel is Scrooge (1970); Albert Finney won a Golden Globe for his playing of Ebenezer Scrooge. I think the dancing on the coffin scene "Thank you very much!
Thank you very much!
That's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me"
is an effective musical translation of the pawnbroker scene in the novel, and on a par with the joyful march of the Munchkins ("Ding! Dong! The witch is dead!") in the film adaptation of "The Wizard of Oz".
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #14
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I loved Oliver Twist. I read the book as a teen and then saw the musical Oliver! I thought that was good as well. As for David Copperfield, that was a great book also. Maybe I am not the right person to be giving a recommendation on Dickens. I love most of his writings and feel like he is the greatest writer of that era. Give David a try. I Hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 AM   #15
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, David Copperfield is very much worth reading. My top favourite Dickens is Bleak House, which is long but terrific, and was based on a real case that went on for an incredibly long time - over 100 years I seem to remember.

And welcome to MobileRead silverfern. I hope you enjoy being with us.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote