Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #1
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
appropriate time to buy

Hello fellows,
I am about to decide to finally buy the Reader, but I'd like to wait until the perfect timeframe:
in your opinion, considering the possible new model about to launch (autumn?), when would it be OK to but the <current> model? I would not like to wait too much and see it disappear as soon as the new model comes!

thanks

Ale
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
The best time to buy will be 1 day or 1 week AFTER you've made your purchase, whenever that may be.

Seriously, there hasn't been any notification of any new model or any big deal about to come through the system, so anything you read here is purely speculation.

I learned long ago that waiting for the best time means never buying, because once a new model comes out, there will eventually be a newer model. And when the new model is out, you're torn between the lower cost older model (until they're all sold out) or the higher prices newer model. And reading the reviews won't help much, because you'll get some who love the new as an improvement over the old and then you get others who love the old and don't think that anything in the new model was done correctly.

My advice -- when you have the money, buy the product which is available and don't keep looking over your shoulder at what might have been a better deal. You won't get an ulcer that way -- make your decision, make sure you like the product you're buying, and enjoy it without any remorse.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
As technology advances, there will continue to be improvements and tweaks and minor enhancements.

If the Reader, based upon your own needs, will fulfill those needs right now and will do so based upon the cost of entry for you, then -- in my opinion - you should check out the Reader right now.

Are you aware of the recent specials Sony has had regarding pricing?

There will always be something out there that will be somewhat different in the way it implements things and in its capabilities.

Also, the Cybook Gen3 will supposedly be released sometime in September (?).

For all the units of choice you might consider, look at group support, as well. What unit seems to have a lot of interest? How do I read? What books are already out there for this [read: any] unit? Are the books that ARE out there formatted the way I like them? What formats will a reader support? Are there newer, even more propriatary formats I have to contend with? How difficult is this unit to use [learning curve], how much do the books cost, are there already free books available for my unit, what is the history of the company I'm going to be sleeping with for awhile, etc., etc. --- so many questions, really, that only you can answer.

Whatever you buy, expect your reader to be outdated shortly, for prices to perhaps drop, and for competition (in my opinion) to heat up.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
I learned long ago that waiting for the best time means never buying, because once a new model comes out, there will eventually be a newer model. And when the new model is out, you're torn between the lower cost older model (until they're all sold out) or the higher prices newer model. And reading the reviews won't help much, because you'll get some who love the new as an improvement over the old and then you get others who love the old and don't think that anything in the new model was done correctly.

My advice -- when you have the money, buy the product which is available and don't keep looking over your shoulder at what might have been a better deal. You won't get an ulcer that way -- make your decision, make sure you like the product you're buying, and enjoy it without any remorse.
Totally agree. Life is short - enjoy what's available now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
thanks for the help guys, I agree with you.

The only thing that kept me waiting was the buzz about a new model with improvd contrast - since I heard that this is a bit disappointing for now.

But if you say that it's just rumors - for now - I guess I'll go.

P.S. you mentioned discounts made by Sony? I dunno, I live in Italy - are they available here?

cheers!

Ale
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxxm View Post
P.S. you mentioned discounts made by Sony? I dunno, I live in Italy - are they available here?

cheers!

Ale
I'm afraid not.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #7
mosteo
Enthusiast
mosteo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500 / N-Gage QD
Well, about discounts... what tipped the scales for me was the recent -50$ reduction. I saw it at FRYS and amazingly I could reach the last checkout step without any warning about shipping overseas (I'm in Spain). In the end a friend that was about to return from the USA got it for me from a sony store with the same discount (father's day or something).

But my bottom point is that maybe you can get some discounts at some online shops. Just look around.
mosteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I believe $299 is the "official" price now. That's what BHPhotoVideo are now selling it for - they do international shipping.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Consider the resell cost too. If you buy the current model now and then a new one comes out in a couple of months you can sell yours to recoup some of the initial expense and then buy the new model. So really all you're out is the difference between initial buying price vs final selling price and it's up to you to decide if having the device for the period of time in between was worth that amount.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe $299 is the "official" price now. That's what BHPhotoVideo are now selling it for - they do international shipping.
The local SonyStyle store has it for $299.99 as the price. So, I'd have to say the $50 price drop is official.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
Consider the resell cost too. If you buy the current model now and then a new one comes out in a couple of months you can sell yours to recoup some of the initial expense and then buy the new model. So really all you're out is the difference between initial buying price vs final selling price and it's up to you to decide if having the device for the period of time in between was worth that amount.
But, what about all the books you've bough in the format the old device supports that the new one does not? You lose ALL that money plus you no longer have a portable device to read these books. So all I can say is, don't buy now just to swap soon. When you buy your reader, stick with it.

Given that the Gen3 is due out sometime in September, if you can, wait until October and see what's happened. Then if the Gen3 is out, you can decide which you want. If it's not out, then you can pick from what's out. It seems silly to rush now when the Gen3 is supposedly so close if that's what you might want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
You really think Connect eBooks won't work on a Sony Reader v2? I guess if you are switching product lines/companies that would be a concern, but I thought his original question was "buy a Reader now, or wait for the next Reader revision".
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Interesting topic. Buy the Sony now and you're pretty much stuck with the Sony like the rest of us. I'm quite happy with the Sony Reader and will take a long look at any updated versions from Sony in the future but it's unrealistic I would spend the jack to replace my library. I personally would wait until Sept. and see what is available then. It’s only a couple of months and it might be worth it the wait.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Interesting topic. Buy the Sony now and you're pretty much stuck with the Sony like the rest of us. I'm quite happy with the Sony Reader and will take a long look at any updated versions from Sony in the future but it's unrealistic I would spend the jack to replace my library. I personally would wait until Sept. and see what is available then. It’s only a couple of months and it might be worth it the wait.
You're only "stuck" if you buy commercial eBooks in BBeB format, which personally I don't. I create my own books using Book Designer, and I buy "open format" books from Baen. Both of these are very easy to move to other formats. I speak from experience, having just bought an iLiad and started to read using MobiPocket rather than the Reader.

MobiPocket seems to be rapidly becoming the "de facto" standard for DRM-d eBooks.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're only "stuck" if you buy commercial eBooks in BBeB format, which personally I don't. I create my own books using Book Designer, and I buy "open format" books from Baen. Both of these are very easy to move to other formats. I speak from experience, having just bought an iLiad and started to read using MobiPocket rather than the Reader.

MobiPocket seems to be rapidly becoming the "de facto" standard for DRM-d eBooks.
I have had a look at Baen. Either I am completely useless (quite possible!) or they have a VEY limited list of books. I didn't find there Ysabel by G.G. Kay, The Terror by Dan Simmons etc. Maybe I was looking at wrong place?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote