Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Smashwords Moves to Agency Model

I saw this on Telereads and couldn't believe it:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/sm...odel/#comments

Here is the straight scoop from Smashwords website:

Quote:
December 1, 2010 - The big news of the day, as hinted yesterday: We renegotiated our distribution contracts with Kobo, B&N and Sony and effective today, Smashwords authors and publishers control the pricing of their books at retail. No more discounting. For those of you who follow this updates page, you already knew about Kobo. We trust B&N and Sony are a pleasant surprise. Oh, and we increased royalty rates for sales through Kobo, B&N and Sony to 60% of your list price. Read the post over at the Smashwords Blog, and do your fellow author a favor and tell a friend. Also, please show your love to Kobo, B&N and Sony. They didn't have to do this. Each went above and beyond to make this happen for Smashwords authors and publishers, so please do thank them on Twitter, Facebook and everywhere else. Smashwords retailers have shown their love to indie authors and publishers, and I'm tickled pink for what it means about the future of publishing. Very exciting
https://www.smashwords.com/about/beta

Smashwords blog link:

http://blog.smashwords.com/2010/11/s...ublishers.html

Gaw! This is sickening!
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I'm actually fine with people who self-publish through Smashwords being able to set a price and know that it will be the same everywhere. To my mind, it is very different than the big agency houses doing that kind of thing. I'm betting that authors will pay attention to what kind of pricing works for them and adjust as necessary. It just feels different to me...and not at all like some big media company is holding us hostage.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
I have never bought from smashwords, (because I haven't bought any books yet) but always considered them a good source. Now (should the need arise) I have no reason to buy from them over anyone else.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
More price fixing, fewer books for me to buy.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
More price fixing, fewer books for me to buy.
You are so right.

Price competition favours efficiency and large well funded retailers through the history of commerce have rarely proven to be the winners on that score.
Price competition favours an even playing field and keeps the big well-funded retailers from becoming bloated monsters who control the market and screw the consumer. Small independent retailers, many of whom have been clients of mine in other market sectors, are able to set up with lower cost bases and can often compete on price, while offering a wider range of support services and other factors important to customers.

No, price competition is not the sole tool of retailing but it is a core and essential tool. Taking it away has been shown throughout modern commercial history to be damaging to the consumer and in the best interests of the biggest monopolies.

Consumers base their purchasing decisions on a combination of price, service, follow up service and many other factors according to the industry. The fact that price is included in this mixture encourages all players in the market to stay competitive and efficient. It keeps the market open to new entries and to new and innovative ideas.

Price fixing is no good for anyone except the sellers. Price fixing in the French book market keeps prices sky high. Price fixing kept air travel restricted to the well off until competition was freed up. Price fixing is never ever good for consumers.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell me why this would be a thing for authors to cheer over?

I've always been under the impression that Authors were ecstatic when they'd wake up one morning and find out that Amazon had discounted their book.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I bought over 100 ebooks at the Fictionwise CyberMonday sale (60% off!) that I never would have bought at all if they had been sold with Agency Model pricing. I'd guess the two companies that got most of my money were eReads and Random House. Guess how many non-free Agency Model pricing books I've bought in the last 3 months? It's been less than a dozen, and they were either discounted or purchased at Sony where I still have credit from the 40% off gift cards from last spring. I have a Nook, and I generally don't buy Agency ebooks from B&N because the publisher prices the ebook 11% higher than the mass market paperback, which B&N discounts.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell me why this would be a thing for authors to cheer over?

I've always been under the impression that Authors were ecstatic when they'd wake up one morning and find out that Amazon had discounted their book.
If they discount it too much your commission goes down from 70% to 30%.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

Not always - it depends what royalty option they've selected. When you publish via Amazon's DTP interface, you can select either 35% or 70% royalties.

If you select 35% royalties, you undertake not to sell the book anywhere else at a lower price. If Amazon decides to discount your book, you still get 35% of the list price.

If you select 70% royalties, you undertake not to sell the book anywhere else at a lower price, and that the ebook is priced at least 20% lower than any print edition you sell anywhere. If Amazon decides to discount your book, however, you get 70% of the discounted price, not the list price.

Most commonly, Amazon discounts these Kindle books to match a lower price found elsewhere. This has resulted in some authors losing royalties because of aggressive discounting by other online retail stores (such as B&N) which the author had no control over, and Amazon discounting to match. Some authors have ended up setting a list price for B&N, Kobo, etc, several dollars higher than the Kindle list price, simply to try and avoid this happening.

Of course, there are many authors who see having their book discounted as a good thing, since it might encourage some to buy their book who might not have considered it otherwise. Others, though, feel they should be able to have more control over what their book is sold for, and simply see it as an unwarranted loss of royalties when their book is discounted.

- Donna
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
So the cabal rakes in another one.

Publishers win, purchasers lose.

I'm gonna miss Smashwords.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post

Which publishers? I thought this was for self published books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Oh the horrors, authors being in control of the pricing of their books.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Yeah, this doesn't bother me so much. It's the author setting their price, They can still give out coupon codes for use on Smashwords, and I get a book DRM free in the format of my choice.

So you guys are going to stop supporting independent authors with DRM free books because the pricing scheme vaguely sounds like the big publishers, even though the books are still usually extremely cheap? Especially since the most discount you would see on these books elsewhere was maybe at the most 25% off?

Sounds silly to me. I dont usually get frustrated with the crowd here, but come on people, pick your battles.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #14
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post

I'm gonna miss Smashwords.
There's a cabal here? How? The vast majority of books on Smashwords are all self-published books, with the exception of those put up on Smashwords by small presses and micropresses. Yes, some of the titles were originally published by big publishers, but they only go up on Smashwords when the authors get their rights to their backlist back from the cabal.

I don't see this as being like the Agency Model at all. Smashwords is a distributor, not a publisher. And Smashwords is definitely not part of a cabal.

Also, reading what the founder of Smashwords said, there was a lot less drama:
"I'm also pleased to report that unlike the tactics used by the Agency 5, we did not put a gun to the head of our retailers. No shots fired, no threats made. In the end, I think each retail partner decided on their own that what is best for Smashwords authors and publishers is also what's best for them and their customers in the long term."
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I bought over 100 ebooks at the Fictionwise CyberMonday sale (60% off!) that I never would have bought at all if they had been sold with Agency Model pricing. I'd guess the two companies that got most of my money were eReads and Random House. Guess how many non-free Agency Model pricing books I've bought in the last 3 months? It's been less than a dozen, and they were either discounted or purchased at Sony where I still have credit from the 40% off gift cards from last spring. I have a Nook, and I generally don't buy Agency ebooks from B&N because the publisher prices the ebook 11% higher than the mass market paperback, which B&N discounts.
I thought I hit the jackpot when I bought 17 books with the discount. I am in awe!

Since agency pricing went into effect, I have stuck to my person "no ebooks over $9.99" pledge. I haven't purchased the latest Stephen King because it's too high. I've skipped a few other series books for the same reason.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote