Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #46
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
This is definitely a good deal for those that don't live in fear of a new CC. At least people are doing their research before jumping in; I remember a while back where some CC companies would offer a free laptop, or some such expensive item, but when you read the fine-print it was found that you needed to maintain a minimum balance of say $1500 for 18 months or you'd default on the terms of agreement and be liable for the cost of the laptop.

Pretty shady dealings if you ask me, as the interest can quickly add up, not to mention they are getting you to *feel comfortable* maintaining a balance on your CC; i.e., conditioning you for future purchases. It doesn't appear this is the case in this deal, but at least people are looking for the hook! I won't bother searching the fine-print of this one, because a) I already have a SonyCard, and b) I have two Readers already. It appears to be a good deal though.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #47
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Well, I'm naturally suspicious, but if it turns out that there really is no horrific fine print (other than resisting the temptation to carry a balance on a credit card), I may do it for my daughter. Then she could carry all her manga around with her.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #48
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Two Readers? Well La De Dah!
Only Kidding.

My wife is the lucky one, insofar as she is at home mostly, and can take advantage of our marvelous Central IL library system--at least aging hippies are good for something, like buying lots of books.
Sadly, in Chicago, the library downtown is a bit lacking. So for $50, I can handle a Reader. Even without the $150 credit--which I hope I can get, depending on approval, &tc--the prices at ConnectStore are cheaper than the 20% off offered by Borders.

So yes, NatCh, $50 was incredibly enticing.
;-
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Just yankin' yer chain a bit there, Cthulhu, just yankin' yer chain.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #50
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Sony readers for everyone!!!

If you got good credit that is!

From TeleRead:

Quote:
Sony Card Announces Exciting New Acquisition Opportunity with Sony® Reader

Park Ridge, N.J., July 6, 2007 – Sony Card(SM) has introduced an exciting new incentive for consumers to acquire the Sony Card. Effective immediately, consumers who apply for the Sony Card and are approved, through this special offer only, have the opportunity to purchase the new Sony Portable Reader for only $49.95*. In addition, each new card member is entitled to receive up to $149.00 in eBooks!** when they authorize their Portable Reader by July 31, 2007.

Sony Card will make this offer available to all new Sony Card Members via a variety of media during the next few months.

The Sony Reader is a revolutionary product specifically designed for travelers who enjoying reading their favorite novels, but do not have the luxury of space to carry them. More information on this exciting new technology can be found at sony.com/reader.
Offer Overview:

To purchase the Reader for this low price, customers must apply and be approved for the Sony Card through this specific offer only.

The Reader can only be purchased at this special price at SonyRewards.com, the official online home of the Sony Card and it cannot be combined with any other Sony Card offers. New cardmembers must register their new Sony Card at SonyRewards.com, once their Card has been successfully registered, they can redeem the Reader and the reduced price will be applied automatically during the checkout process.

* Sony Card is issued By Chase Bank USA, NA, and is subject to credit approval. Offer available to new Sony Card account holders who open their accounts no later than 10/31/2007. $49.95 price applies only to purchases of the Sony Portable Reader (FRPRS500U) made at SonyRewards.com with the Sony Card on or before 1/31/2008. Limit of one Sony Portable Reader at this special offer price to each new Sony Card account holder. This offer may not be combined with any other Sony Card offer.

** TERMS FOR $149 CREDIT AT CONNECT™ eBOOKS (“Credit”): Available only to customers who purchase a Reader between 5/1/07 and 7/31/07, register for a CONNECT eBooks account (“Account”), and authorize their device by 07/31/07. Must be U.S. Resident, 13 years or older, with a valid U.S. credit card. Credit good for $50 toward any title and $99.50 toward any CONNECT eBooks Classics title will be applied to your Account. Must spend entire Credit by 08/31/07. Limit 1 Credit per Reader device. For full terms and system requirements, visit www.ebooks.connect.com/$149.

So, it looks as though anyone approved for the card can get the Reader for $49. Very cool!!

http://www.teleread.org/blog/?p=6814#comments
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #51
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Well folks it indeed IS a legitimate offer. I apllied for a credit card for my wife on saturday.. Talked to a few people.. They were a little vague on details.. They UPS'd us our card at my wifes insistence and we recieved the sony card today...

Today she spent about an hour online and on the cellphone with a representative in order to make sure she got the 49 dollar deal... Long story short.. She Did! Heres the details...

After you get your card.. Go here...

http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/home/sonycard/

Then create a user account etc with passord etc.

Then.. Apparently their website isn't comnpleetey set up to do the 49 dollar deal yet (which incidentally will last until January 2008!!) so you have to get a human being on the phone.. at 1866 556 7669... Explain etc... Then that human being can make the 49 dollar deal happen by adding reward ponts to your card since you only get 25 points for signing up and you need 50 to buy something on special.. (Or some such baloney)

ANYHOW.. The human being knew about the deal and was a little puzzled why their own website was not letting my wife even sign on (Without adding points first) and wasnt automatically giving her the 49 dollar deal on the website... He did say they were going to try and fix the website ... Anyhow this human added points to our account (You have to have 50 to use the redeem points feature..) until we got the reader for 49 dollars.. However.. Our account showed that we were charged 159.25 but he promised her that that would be adjusted automatically since there was a code attatched to our card that said we get the reader for 49 bucks as promised... (He saw the 'code' on his end so I can only assume that the card when you are approved has an internal attatchment to this deal...)

Now.. If they.. And I can only assume they will.. Fix the website all you have to do is go in and click on REDEEM points.. And it will be all in there...

My advice?

Get ahold of a human to walk you through the process at the phone number listed above...

Anyhow...

Can I say WWWWOOOHHHHOOOOOO!!!!! at the expense of our long suffering foriegn members who cant get this deal since they dont live in the good ole YEW ESS AAYY!
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #52
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Roy--

Glad to hear that everything worked out for you.
I applied Sunday afternoon, and have heard naught since my initial email. Maybe I should have over-estimated my household income. Am nervous that I may not qualify. Will phone Chase tomorrow morning and see if there is a way to expedite my application.

Once again, congrats!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #53
Cthulhu
Technologist

So I couldn't wait and called SONY/Chase. I love 24 hour customer service!

Am approved, and should have the card in my hot little hands soon, provided they send my card to a co-worker's condo and not to my wife, who had our mail forwarded out to Harvard.

I am so incredibly glad that I am a member of this forum.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #54
rwsimon
Connoisseur
rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwsimon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 2 Sony PRS-500s, iPad
Glad I saw Cthuhu's post. I called Chase and their automated line said that it would be 7-10 business days before my application was evaluated. So I stayed on the line and asked an agent why it should take so long. She said it often does, but that she'd check on the status of mine just in case. Two minutes later, she told me it was approved and would be mailed out in the next couple of days. So, perhaps being a squeaky wheel is useful for this...
rwsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #55
Cthulhu
Technologist

In other important news, I spoke with someone at Chase who said my request to have my card mailed to a non-billing address went through. Am not going to petition for a UPS/FedEx delivery, so I should be receiving my card by next week.

Hope that in that time SONY Rewards will have remedied the glitch on their website of which Roy wrote.

Anyone else getting in on this offer?
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #56
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm going to try, just to see what happens. Now that I have one reader, I feel a dire need to get another as backup.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #57
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur

Just got my card. Website won't let me order so I am following Roy's suggestion and calling Sony right now.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #58
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
I also just received my card and after being walked through the website, here is the process for getting the reader.

1. Sign up for the Sony Rewards website. You get 25 points for signing up.
2. Add something to your wish list. You get 50 points for creating a wish list.
3. Add the Sony Reader to your shopping cart. It is 16000 points, but after it is added to your cart, with discount, it lists in the cart for 5999 points.
4. Proceed to checkout.
5. Review your order. It subtracts your 75 points from the 5999 points so you still need 5924 points.
6. Click on the Buy Points button towards the bottom of the page. They are $.01 each. It will then ask for a credit card information.
7. Confirm your order.

The total price is $59.24 which has shipping included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sonyrewards.GIF
Views:	891
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	4439  
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #59
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Nice! Thanks for the how-to, Snassek, that'll save some time for folks.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #60
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snassek View Post
I also just received my card and after being walked through the website, here is the process for getting the reader.

1. Sign up for the Sony Rewards website. You get 25 points for signing up.
2. Add something to your wish list. You get 50 points for creating a wish list.
3. Add the Sony Reader to your shopping cart. It is 16000 points, but after it is added to your cart, with discount, it lists in the cart for 5999 points.
4. Proceed to checkout.
5. Review your order. It subtracts your 75 points from the 5999 points so you still need 5924 points.
6. Click on the Buy Points button towards the bottom of the page. They are $.01 each. It will then ask for a credit card information.
7. Confirm your order.

The total price is $59.24 which has shipping included.

Yes, this is the process. The people at Sony walked me through the process as well and Snassek has it exactly right. Follow it step by step and you won't need to call.