Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Returning library books early, locked account

I recently started using my ereader for cookbooks. The library had lots of them, with no waiting lists. So I checked a number out, opened them with ADE, browsed through them to see what kind of recipes they had and then used the "return book" function in ADE.

I went to check out another book and got an error:

Error code: 710
Error details: Early return error

I emailed support and got the following response:

"We regret to confirm with you this error message is being
> shown because you have returned an excessive number of Adobe
> eBook titles over a short period of time. OverDrive Support
> recommends that you try and check out your Adobe eBook in a week or so.
>
> Should the error message persist, it is recommended
> that you allow one of the books in your account to expire
> and be auto-returned by the system as repeated attempts to
> early-return may cause the system in OverDrive to 'lock' the
> account temporarily.

The problem is, that I had a book that's been on my wait list a long time FINALLY become available and I can't check it out. If I wait a week, my hold will be canceled and I will go back to the end of the line.

I thought I was doing a good thing by returning the books I didn't want early, so others could access them. Now it seems my account is locked. My next book isn't due for 24 more days, so I have almost a month where I won't be able to check out my holds as they become available.

So be careful with how many books you return early!
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've seen others report this although I don't think every library system is doing it. One person was checking out books and "browsing" them the way you would in a bookstore to see if she was interested, and then keeping only the ones she wanted to read and she also got locked down for a couple of days.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Usually it is ok the very next day. Just make sure you try to check out only one book.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
That's ridiculous, but monetarily understandable. If the library is charged per download, you're basically eating up taxpayer money without any tangible knowledge gain. Just another example of why the system needs to be redesigned.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
I recommend you talk to the library, they may be able to manually clear the hold on your account.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Also - probably not a great help with Cookbooks but for regular reading ... it is probably better just to use the sample function at Amazon or Barnes etc to weed through the books and then only check-out what you are really interested in.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The system probably presumes that fast downloads/returns is a sign that the "borrower" is merely downloading/copying (inappropriately) and returning. Obviously - guilty until proven innocent.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
The system probably presumes that fast downloads/returns is a sign that the "borrower" is merely downloading/copying (inappropriately) and returning. Obviously - guilty until proven innocent.
My first thought.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Since seeing warnings here, I've always waited at least 48 hours to return a book.

24 days? Wow -- our maximum is 21! Then again, we get up to 25 items at once, audio and ebooks combined.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
My library allows you to choose 7, 14, or 21 days. I started looking into checking out books through the library recently. (grins)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
The lockout is usually 12 hours, but I would wait 24. I did talk to my library about lifting the lockout-no can do. They said you can't sample ebooks. But I have found, now that I have cards from multiple libraries, when your account is new, you are more likely to get that error message. And plan for when your library gets its new books - you want to have nothing checked out!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
I've had this before, the library can't do anything as it's overdrive. I waited till the next day and it was fine, so hopefully yours will be too.

I now always make sure I keep books for 24 hours before returning them to prevent this message.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
brdwygurl
Connoisseur
brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.brdwygurl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Thanks for all the replies.

I did check with the library and explained why/how it happened. They said it's with the overdrive software so there is nothing they can do. This library only lets you have 2 books out at a time, so that's why I was returning them early. So I could check out another.

btw the lockout happened late last week (I was looking for recipes for Easter). when I got the error I waited and thought I would email help after the weekend. So it's been more than 48 hours and the lock is still there.

What bothers me most is missing the book I had a hold on. For the future I will know not to return more than 1 book early. Lesson learned
brdwygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
Miss Understood
Enthusiast
Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.Miss Understood is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nook, Sony PRS-350 (pink!); IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by brdwygurl View Post
I recently started using my ereader for cookbooks. The library had lots of them, with no waiting lists. So I checked a number out, opened them with ADE, browsed through them to see what kind of recipes they had and then used the "return book" function in ADE.

I went to check out another book and got an error:

Error code: 710
Error details: Early return error

I emailed support and got the following response:

"We regret to confirm with you this error message is being
> shown because you have returned an excessive number of Adobe
> eBook titles over a short period of time. OverDrive Support
> recommends that you try and check out your Adobe eBook in a week or so.
>
> Should the error message persist, it is recommended
> that you allow one of the books in your account to expire
> and be auto-returned by the system as repeated attempts to
> early-return may cause the system in OverDrive to 'lock' the
> account temporarily.

The problem is, that I had a book that's been on my wait list a long time FINALLY become available and I can't check it out. If I wait a week, my hold will be canceled and I will go back to the end of the line.

I thought I was doing a good thing by returning the books I didn't want early, so others could access them. Now it seems my account is locked. My next book isn't due for 24 more days, so I have almost a month where I won't be able to check out my holds as they become available.

So be careful with how many books you return early!
The same thing happened to me and I lost two books that I had been waiting a couple of months for. My books didn't even go back on my wait list, they were removed entirely. It really irritated me because apparently Overdrive thinks that it's not possible (in fact they think it's unreasonable) to finish a book in 2 days. The worst part is my library has a limit of only 2 ebooks at a time.
Miss Understood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #15
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Only two ebooks at a time? Wow ... that's the lowest I've seen in these discussions. My library offers up to 10; I don't know how many on a wait list but I presume something similar. Given there is occasionally a "crowd" when hold items become available at the same time, two seems a bit ungenerous.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote