Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #76
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have read from folks that if they slow down their purchases to a few a week instead of 10 a day, or something similar, they are fine even after getting the email.

I think the key is to buy books slowly and not bring attention to yourself.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How to get a US Amazon.com account...

Live in the USA.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 AM   #78
Sciamano
Sciamano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I think the key is to buy books slowly and not bring attention to yourself.
I have another hypothesis: maybe they send you the email only when you buy one of those books that are available to US residents only. If you buy only books that are available anywhere, they don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Live in the USA.
Oh really? No one thought of that, I guess. Thanks for this useful solution!
Sciamano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 AM   #79
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Yeah he is known for such nuggets of wisdom.

Several folks have commented that they were fine when they bought a few books a week that were restricted but got in trouble when they bought many in one day.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #80
khromov
Connoisseur
khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khromov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey guys!

Is it possible to convert your current account to a US account? (Using an international account on the amazon.com page) when I changed my country and bought a few items I received:

"I see that you attempted to purchase "XXX [Kindle Edition]" while in a different country than the United States listed on your Amazon account. Certain Kindle titles are not available everywhere. We are reaching out to you to ensure the best possible service for your account.

If this is not the case, and you would like to share information that you live in the United States, we can be reached by fax at 001-206-266-1838 from outside the US, or 206-266-1838 from within the US. Helpful information includes:
– Passport
– Military ID
– Permanent Resident Card
– Driver’s License
– Other state photo identity card

We want to assure you that we handle this information in a secure manner: these are dedicated fax lines, staffed in an area with limited employee access. The fax is never printed, just converted to an electronic image that is used to check the country, then the image is deleted."

It all sounds pretty ominous, but can you safely ignore this warning, use a USA proxy and keep going?

PS. They did not delete the purchase off of my account, and I switched my country back to my real country. DS.
khromov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #81
killjoy
Enthusiast
killjoy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
So to clarify:

Can I buy from Amazon.COM by:

1. Deregister my UK Kindle
2.Register it on .COM with a random, but valid, US address
3. Buy on .COM
4. Repeat process and register back with a UK address.

On deregistering/registering does my list of bought books held by Amazon (under manage your kindle) get messed up?
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 AM   #82
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
As an FYI, there's only so many times you can keep switching addresses before Amazon decides to ask you for proof that you're American and only travelling in the UK.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #83
10basetom
10basetom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I know this thread is old, but read this the next time you try to order Kindle books from outside US/UK:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianki...-a-reason-why/

Your mileage may vary, but this makes me nervous about DRM in general.
10basetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #84
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
That story has been debunked I think. Everyone has assumed it's a georestriction issue but that is not confirmed. It could simply be because that person returned too many products so amazon stopped their account. There is nothing in the story saying anything about georestrictions at all.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #85
10basetom

We're still not sure what's going on, but one thing this made clear to me: back up your azw files! You know what they say about never putting all your eggs in one basket, well never put all your files in one cloud.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #86
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Unless you remove the DRM then backing them up is pointless as they cant be read on another device.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:08 AM   #87
10basetom

Yes, if there's ever the chance that your account is wiped, then at least you still have the azw files, which you can then do whatever is necessary to read them on another device *wink*.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #88
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
So to clarify:

Can I buy from Amazon.COM by:

1. Deregister my UK Kindle
2.Register it on .COM with a random, but valid, US address
3. Buy on .COM
4. Repeat process and register back with a UK address.

On deregistering/registering does my list of bought books held by Amazon (under manage your kindle) get messed up?
I've done so dozens of times (UK, US, Germany), no problems so far.
I've bought ca. 700 eBooks from Amazon over the last ca. 40 months.

Your list is fine. You simply transfer one account to the other Amazon site and your libraries get merged.
Only downside: Normally, when by accident trying to purchase the same book for a second time, you get a warning: "You already bought this title on xxx. Do you want to continue?".
But if you buy from different accounts/countries, this doesn't work anymore.
You accidentally can re-purchase the title from the other country...

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-24-2012 at 12:43 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #89
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10basetom View Post
Yes, if there's ever the chance that your account is wiped, then at least you still have the azw files, which you can then do whatever is necessary to read them on another device *wink*.
I can't imagine, it would be legal to wipe your account.
They certainly can put your account on hold.
They certainly can block you from making new purchases.
But deleting your content, purchased legally?

Just an example:
You don't have to be a US citizen.
You just need a valid address and can purchase with any valid non-US credit card.
I'm using my German credit card for 10 years (first for DVDs, later for eBooks).
You easily could buy dozens of books while on vacation or on a business trip.
Later, back in your home country, you try to purchase via this US account again.
They decide, you're not residing in the US and block your account.
How should they find any legal argument, to delete your content purchased legally before?
And: So far, I've experienced Amazon as highly customer oriented and flexible.
I never had any rash action from their side. In all minor cases I had with them, their customer support did contact me before taking any actions and was discussing all issues with a positive and problem-oriented attitude.

Unfortunately, my personal experience with Barnes & Noble was a bit different.
You only can buy from the US, for some time now you even seem to need a US credit card.
One time I forgot, to use a US proxy and my purchase failed.
But I had the "defective purchase" in my library and couldn't get rid of it myself.
Basically, B&N's response was: "You made a mistake, live with it". And, funny thing, I've got another email a few days later: "Did we solve your problem? Please rate your customer experience"....
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #90
10basetom

It's stated pretty clearly that you don't actually _own_ anything when you buy Kindle books -- you're simply buying the license to rent it indefinitely basically (well, as long as you're in good standing). Amazon reserves the right to revoke your access to these books at any time if they deem you have broken the rules.