Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2007, 06:55 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Toshiba Matsushita Display readies E Ink competing LCD panel

Toshiba Matsushita Display Technology (a joint venture formed between Toshiba and Matsushita) announced today that the company has developed and started mass production of a new monochrome LCD panel for use in electronic dictionaries and e-book readers. Specs:
  • Display size: 5.01-inch
  • Resolution: 640 x 480
  • Display mode: Monochrome reflective display / Internal reflective display (someone care to explain?)
  • Contrast ratio: 12:1 (no backlight)
  • Response time: 20 ms
  • Levels of gray: 16
  • Power consumption: 4mW (2-level grayscale), 20 mW (16-level grayscale)

Compared to the usual E Ink display, the new panel has a higher contrast ratio (12:1 vs. 8:1) and also relatively low power consumption (20 mW vs. 1mW (E Ink standby) and 750 mW (E Ink active update)). Screen refresh is a lot faster (20 ms vs. 0.5-1s).

Before you get too excited keep in mind this is only a 640x480 screen, so hardly as high-resolution as TMD likes us to believe. [Edit: Thanks to RWood for clarifying that 640x480 on 5" is indeed high-resolution]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
nice, the fast response time makes animations possible.
Any links to a video known?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

High contrast, fast refresh rate... Now we're making some progress.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
nice, the fast response time makes animations possible.
Any links to a video known?
No video, and no other information on their website really. Found this product leaflet, but no information regarding the new panel
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
What's the advantage? Just seems like a really low end LCD with no backlight?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Higher contrast ratio = improved legibility
Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
low power consumption and great readability is the major advantage of this technology. I want a bigger one in color
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a lot faster than E Ink.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #9
emkay
Zealot
emkay began at the beginning.

Oh. It's not e-ink. Dang
Still, would be interested to see how comfortable it is to read. The OLPC screen technology should be worth looking at too.
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
blooflame
blooflame began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie/soon Reader?
Animation?

If you're after animation then you typically are going also for a more powerful (and power-hungry CPU) aren't you?

Maybe I'm a semi-Luddite but seems to me that the key ingredients for mobile reading are three things: clarity, clarity, and clarity. After that long battery life and light weight. If you don't do a clear, readable display then the advantages over paper books are lost. Consider in my (older guy) definition of clarity that screen size matters, too: I can focus on my Clie to read something, but it's a pain with progressive lenses - thankfully I didn't get into the PDA habit too badly. Book-sized readers have book-sized display areas, couple that with high-resolution display and you've got me.
blooflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Now maybe I'm missing something (it would not be the first time); but, I consider my desktop monitor to be rather good for what I do (a lot of word processing, spreadsheets, and surfing MobileRead) and the 1280 x 1024 resolution on a 17" screen is not half bad. Now that works out to an average of 9,337 per sq inch. The Toshiba with its 5.1" screen has 24,606 per sq inch. In my view that makes it high resolution.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #12
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
I think this should be the panel used in the Chinese ebook company jcnip's M218A.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=M218A

The spec., i.e. resolution etc.. is so similar. Right?
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Now maybe I'm missing something (it would not be the first time); but, I consider my desktop monitor to be rather good for what I do (a lot of word processing, spreadsheets, and surfing MobileRead) and the 1280 x 1024 resolution on a 17" screen is not half bad. Now that works out to an average of 9,337 per sq inch. The Toshiba with its 5.1" screen has 24,606 per sq inch. In my view that makes it high resolution.
Points taken and lesson learned. I updated the first post accordingly.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #14
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

The faster response time, while not doing a whole lot to make an e-book a better device, does allow for embedded video and animation within text. An object or scene being described in text could be supported by an embedded visual application. Another technology the fast response time enables is digitizer input so the user can make annotations to the text.

One last benefit of the fast response time should be eradication of image persistance. I'd like to see more optical measurements, though, before rendering any comparison to an electrophoretic display.
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by segatang
I think this should be the panel used in the Chinese ebook company jcnip's M218A.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=M218A

The spec., i.e. resolution etc.. is so similar. Right?
Possibly, but then again, how would they have gotten their hands on the panel since it was definitely not for mass production at that time yet.