Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Nope, they don't need to be DRM free... but easily available in multiple DRM formats is a bonus. For example. Kindle store only books probably won't get many nominations or votes.

BOb
books that are too limited like Kindle only books should be disallowed just to make it easier. If a Kindle only book was nominated and then went on to win, there are those of us that would not be able to read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
books that are too limited like Kindle only books should be disallowed just to make it easier. If a Kindle only book was nominated and then went on to win, there are those of us that would not be able to read it.
If you say so. Is there someone that wants to check every ebook nominated and see where it is available? I personally don't want to do it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I agree.

Wait....did I just agree with Jon?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #34
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
dreams created a very useful list on Feedbooks listing MR Authors: http://www.feedbooks.com/list/1121
Thank you, Hadrien.

Quote:
Seems to be missing some...

Steven Jordan
Dennis Batchelder
Tracy Falbe
Vonda N. McIntyre
Richard Herley

Probably more I can't think of right now.

BOb
I was trying to keep track of my feedbooks downloads. My list is of those authors I have found on feedbooks.

Let me know if there are some that I have left out that are on feedbooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Charles Stross
Cory Doctorow
Opps, need to add those.

Quote:
I would say any author that "contributes" here more than a "Come buy my book or come get my book for free message."

BOb
I also like to support those authors who join in and contribute to the community.

I just purchased the rest of Hal Spackjock and he has included the epub versions. I seem to be having a little trouble with using them though.

My link to the post...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=192

original thread..
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24437
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:30 PM   #35
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
If you say so. Is there someone that wants to check every ebook nominated and see where it is available? I personally don't want to do it.
I expect that, by the second or third nomination, someone will have checked availability and say something if it's only available as a Kindlebook, or has other access problems. Like, if it's only in weird PDF DRM, or isn't in English, or it costs more than $30--anything that might prevent people from easily joining in the fun of reading it.

I don't expect any of those would necessarily be exclusions, but people should know about them before voting.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I wouldn't want to do it for tons of nominations that aren't even seconded, but I'd be willing to do a 'where it's available' list for the books that get through into the voting if it would be helpful to folks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 AM   #37
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Ah, reasonableness emerges.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll nominate Soul View by Jeff Inlo:

Quote:
Soul View

Dr. Jim Sagacity is a Marriage and Family Therapist that has the special ability to see deep inside other people. He can see their souls. He volunteers at a Philadelphia hospital in order to be as close to death as possible, for during most fatalities, he watches the spirit of the recently deceased depart this world in a display of pure joyous wonder. Throughout his life, he celebrates his ability in secret, focusing on the sheer elation of these transitions, until one day he is shown that not all souls are willing or able to take that all important step to the next realm. Weaker souls, small and dim to Jim’s eyes, face a darker fate.

With a new understanding of what death might mean, Dr. Sagacity joins a group of other specially gifted people in hopes of assisting those spirits he believes lack the strength to move on to a new existence. Pooling their incredible and supernatural talents, they pinpoint those individuals that are facing death in the very near future. Jim Sagacity experiences the complexities of working with others focused beyond the constraints of this physical realm, but within a society attentive to the normal realities of death, despair and even murder. He finds that not everyone shares his views, that the truth can often be distorted, and that the world he lives in can be a very difficult and dangerous place.
I read his Delver Magic trilogy and enjoyed it.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #39
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Flash Forward by Robert J. Sawyer

-- sounds good to me. Intriguing.
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I wouldn't want to do it for tons of nominations that aren't even seconded, but I'd be willing to do a 'where it's available' list for the books that get through into the voting if it would be helpful to folks.
Using FlashForward as an example here's what I could do for each voting title each month if you guys think it would be helpful (I checked the below stores plus; Fictionwise, eReader, WH Smith, Waterstones, ebooks.com, Borders UK, Shortcovers)...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

FlashForward by Robert J. Sawyer

Books on Board (ePub) - $14.00
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=511096

Amazon (azw) - $7.99
http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Forward-...CE/ref=ed_oe_k

Amazon (Topaz) - $7.99
http://www.amazon.com/Flashforward-e...3721853&sr=1-1

Sony (lrx) - $12.60
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/rob...00000000175079

CyberRead (ePub) - $28.00
http://www.cyberread.com/Flashforwar...RT-J/id303626/

Mobipocket (mobi/prc) - $14.00
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/...?BookID=217578

Diesel eBooks (mobi/prc) - $12.03
http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...ard-eBook.html

Barnes & Noble (eReader) - $9.99
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fla...9914581/?itm=1

Ebooks About Everything (ePub) - $14.00
http://www.ebooksabouteverything.com...ategory=search

Author's Website - http://www.sfwriter.com
Reading group guide - http://www.sfwriter.com/rgff.htm

`

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-23-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #41
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I'll third Verdant Skies by Steven Jordan if I may.

He has been very kind posting free ebooks here and I feel somewhat guilty about never having purchased any due to my limited funds. I can, barely, afford this book, I couldn't afford FlashForward by Robert J. Sawyer.

Besides I am rather taken with Mr. Jordan's premise and time travel stuff leaves me cold.

Oh, yes, DRM free too!

Last edited by NormHart; 09-23-2009 at 02:16 PM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
ok folks... we got the weekend to get those nominations in. I will set up the poll late Sunday night (my time).

Only 4 books in the vote right now.

Stand up and be heard.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:28 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given the prices of Flashforward I rescind my nomination. Even $7.99 is too much given that I can get 10% off the pBook ($7.99) at any time and sometimes even more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #44
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll nominate Soul View by Jeff Inlo:

Quote:
Soul View

Dr. Jim Sagacity is a Marriage and Family Therapist that has the special ability to see deep inside other people. He can see their souls. He volunteers at a Philadelphia hospital in order to be as close to death as possible, for during most fatalities, he watches the spirit of the recently deceased depart this world in a display of pure joyous wonder. Throughout his life, he celebrates his ability in secret, focusing on the sheer elation of these transitions, until one day he is shown that not all souls are willing or able to take that all important step to the next realm. Weaker souls, small and dim to Jim’s eyes, face a darker fate.

With a new understanding of what death might mean, Dr. Sagacity joins a group of other specially gifted people in hopes of assisting those spirits he believes lack the strength to move on to a new existence. Pooling their incredible and supernatural talents, they pinpoint those individuals that are facing death in the very near future. Jim Sagacity experiences the complexities of working with others focused beyond the constraints of this physical realm, but within a society attentive to the normal realities of death, despair and even murder. He finds that not everyone shares his views, that the truth can often be distorted, and that the world he lives in can be a very difficult and dangerous place.
I read his Delver Magic trilogy and enjoyed it.
Verdant Skies and Tide Mill are already up so I will second (I think it's a second now) Jeff Inlo's Soul View.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #45
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
ok folks... we got the weekend to get those nominations in. I will set up the poll late Sunday night (my time).

Only 4 books in the vote right now.

Stand up and be heard.

BOb
Been trying to come up with some things, but this category is tough (especially without a complete list of eligible authors). Cherryh has some titles that sound good, but the most interesting aren't out as ebooks yet.

BTW: Anyone know Robert J. Sawyer's username? I was looking for some of his posts, but couldn't find anything.