Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #16
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Which seems to also be getting a tepid reaction.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The fact that the Kindle is out of stock is not newsworthy. Bookeen and Sony and iRex have all been out of stock and it's just as not newsworthy.
Quote:
This is just silly. Amazon says we hope to have more units and everyone goes nuts. Other companies like Bookeen say it and nobody feels it's newsworthy. To be honest, it's not newsworthy. The Kindle is no more special then the Gen3, the 505, the iLiad, V3, or whatever.

Now if this was "We HAVE all the units needed to fill ALL the backorders" and it meant that PVI has ramped up production or some such then yes it would would worthy of all the attention.
Yeah, i'm sure you're trying really hard to shoot down a company with your obviously tinted lens.

Reminds me of kids and their console war just because they own an Xbox360 or PS3.

Last edited by spirits; 03-20-2008 at 05:51 PM.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think Jon merged the two threads.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 PM   #19
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
This is good news for the eBook market. It looks like there are huge demand for digital eBooks and eBook devices.
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:58 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I would agree. I think we're in a "rising tide lifts all boats" phase of the market.
Advert
Old 03-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think Jon merged the two threads.
Not at all did I merge them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirits View Post
Yeah, i'm sure you're trying really hard to shoot down a company with your obviously tinted lens.

Reminds me of kids and their console war just because they own an Xbox360 or PS3.
Did you read what I actually said? I did say it's not newsworthy no matter which company could have said it be it Amazon, Sony, Bookeen, iRex, or Hanlin. Hoping for stock to fill backorders just doesn't merit much excitement overall.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #23
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Did you read what I actually said? I did say it's not newsworthy no matter which company could have said it be it Amazon, Sony, Bookeen, iRex, or Hanlin. Hoping for stock to fill backorders just doesn't merit much excitement overall.
Sure, you make total sense based solely on the context of this post. You're being fair to other devices. But if in this news, the word "Amazon" is replaced by "Sony Reader", you'll post a completely different post. Probably wouldn't say it's not newsworthy because Amazon has been out of stock for awhile.

The conflict comes in when you're eager to discredit Amazon while logically word it as if you're unbiased. Your action told me that while I was trying to make a point about the Kindle in my previous post but you vandalized it.

It's just more mature to compliment / compare readers you do support rather than discredit companies you don't support.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:59 AM   #24
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
This is bad news

If only because I am waiting for Kindle V2. I am not going to jump on the Kindle right now. I know it has some advantages, but I have the PRS-505, and I want Amazon to get desperate enough to smooth out the wrinkles on the Kindle.

I personally think the next Kindle will be an offer no one can refuse.

As long as they dump the draconian DRM.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:20 AM   #25
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Interesting point. I wonder what it'll take to make a hardware Kindle 2.0. Will they wait for the next gen screen? How long are they willing to wait? Will they offer more sizes? Touchscreen? Or will if it takes too long for a next gen display, will they revamp Kindle 1.x with a few of the changes we've been clammoring for?
Old 03-21-2008, 02:34 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Interesting point. I wonder what it'll take to make a hardware Kindle 2.0. Will they wait for the next gen screen? How long are they willing to wait? Will they offer more sizes? Touchscreen? Or will if it takes too long for a next gen display, will they revamp Kindle 1.x with a few of the changes we've been clamoring for?
I would hope the next generation would be something along the lines of the Netronix EB-300 with improvements.

I like the idea of a 9.7" screen (10" would be better) with a high resolution. But I'd also like a controller capable of 16 shades. 256 megs of ram for document storage. a smallish keyboard at the bottom that's also detachable. Wifi, touchscreen, many document formats including proper HTML support, and fully open to the user to be able to do his/her own thing like the iLiad. And a higher capacity battery with easy battery removal for swapping batteries as need be. And finally dictionary support for ALL the formats it reads.

I'm sure I'll think of other things sometime down the line but that would do for now.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #27
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
... and a coffee grinder/brewer.

And a bagel toaster.

just sayin'
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 AM   #28
rationalbiker
Connoisseur
rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rationalbiker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
I did say it's not newsworthy no matter which company could have said it be it Amazon, Sony, Bookeen, iRex, or Hanlin.
What criteria do you use to determine whether or not something is newsworthy? Is it possible that other people might find some news interesting or useful to them while you may not? If you objectively examine the differences between the Kindle and it's impact on the market and then all other ebook readers do you not see anything that might affect people's interest level in Kindle news versus Sony, Bookeen, etc. etc.?
rationalbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think that what Jon is getting at is that an eInk device going out of stock is not "news". Given the shortage of screens from the screen manufacturer, PVI, they all come in and out of stock on a regular basis. The CyBook Gen3, for example, is currently out of stock until May.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think that what Jon is getting at is that an eInk device going out of stock is not "news". Given the shortage of screens from the screen manufacturer, PVI, they all come in and out of stock on a regular basis. The CyBook Gen3, for example, is currently out of stock until May.
Yes exactly. Sony, iRex, Hanlain, Bookeen, Kindle have all had periods of out-of-stock. What makes the Kindle so special that it deserves to be so newsworthy vs all the others? Nothing is the answer. Just because the CEO hopes to have stock sometime soon still doesn't make it worthy of all the attention. Now if Amazon has said we have 1000 backorders and we will be getting stock to fill all of them by the end of April, that's fine. But a message from the CEO that really says nothing isn't anything special at all.

HarryT, why not make a frontpage news post to tell everyone of Bookeen's latest notice about their stock of Gen3s.