Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Lancelot13
Lancelot13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is it wise to ignore epubcheck warnings and/or errors?

So I dug up some old approved epubs, and out of curiosity, I ran a dozen or so through the new epubchecks. The end result is 9/10 had some kind of errors or warnings or both. Which makes me think someone has been approving without getting these files fully validated or our distributors hasn't been as diligent either before putting our files on sale.

Of course, these files has been on sales for a while now. So my question is would anyone in their right mind continue to turn a blind eye? If so, why? I suspect these old files to be ticking time bombs just waiting to stop working and crash out of newer ereaders? Am I right? or Am I worrying too much about trivial warnings and errors when files still are side-loading and QA okay?
Lancelot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
My rule of thumb is that "Errors should be fixed, warnings should be evaluated carefully". In particular, I recommend fixing any error that might break parsing the XHTML pages or the NCX TOC --- as they are the most common causes for a Reading System to "fail" loading the EPUB.

Note, however, that some errors/warnings might have popped up because epubcheck got progressively better and lately it started checking even the most hidden details of the specification, even if they completely (and safely) ignored by any (sanely coded) reading system.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest fixing all errors and warnings and putting up newly fixed versions.

And when validating, use epubcheck 3.0.1 as it's the current version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Lancelot13
Lancelot13 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unfortunately, I'm not in charge of these files. Best I can do is ask questions and raise my concerns. I think epub is becoming the new pdf. Everyone thinks they can create good quality files just because they can. Mistaken quantity for quality is something publishers do way too often these days.
Lancelot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Warnings are just that. You have something (usually an extra) that should not cause a problem.
Errors are jut that. Some reader may help you along, but others will not. IMHO fix errors
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert