Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Tulpana
Enthusiast
Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
When Calibre Goes to Sigil in HTML *and* XHTML

My 265-page WORD-generated manuscript was chopped up by Calibre into several chunks. Every new chunk opened in Sigil with one of the chapters identified as HTML--after which, the successive chapters were XHTML.

Is this something to worry about, and, if so, is there any way to get Sigil to turn the HTML into XHTML before you start heavy-editing?

I am a WYSIWIG user, or at least I know next-to-nothing about HTML (although I'm catching on).

Thank you.
Tulpana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpana View Post
My 265-page WORD-generated manuscript was chopped up by Calibre into several chunks. Every new chunk opened in Sigil with one of the chapters identified as HTML--after which, the successive chapters were XHTML.

Is this something to worry about, and, if so, is there any way to get Sigil to turn the HTML into XHTML before you start heavy-editing?

I am a WYSIWIG user, or at least I know next-to-nothing about HTML (although I'm catching on).

Thank you.
IMHO either is fine if it is there. There are slightly different rules for each. Sigil checks each by the proper rules.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is important to leave the chunks, rather than try to reunite them. There are some readers that will choke on sections over 250k or so. Chunks for each chapter are generally convenient for editing and under the size limit. The reader will display all the chunks as if they were one.

Sigil is not shy in telling you if you goof up, though if you leave off the closing > of a paragraph command, it is likely to tell you that the end of the section needs a </p> instead of the actual location much farther back!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The actual file extension that shows in Sigil isn't anything to get excited about. Files named with a .html or .htm extension are still XHTML internally. There's no pressing need to make all the extensions .xhtml.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Also, I would be careful in letting Calibre determine the chunks. Most crafters create a separate file for each chapter. Partially to avoid the size restrictions, partially because it is better maintainable.
By default Calibre will cut the file based on the length instead of the chapters. Altough I have been told you can ask Calibre to do it per chapter. That is, if Calibre can determine the chapters...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Tulpana
Enthusiast
Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tulpana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Again, thanks to everyone. I produced a fine product with Sigil and Calibre, using one huge file. I just wanted to know if I had anything to worry about, and apparently, I do not.
Tulpana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
By default Calibre will cut the file based on the length instead of the chapters. Altough I have been told you can ask Calibre to do it per chapter. That is, if Calibre can determine the chapters...
That works when Calibre can determine it (via Xpath):
Code:
//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']
or Chapter mark
There are oh-so-many ways to confuse this feature
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote