Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
metroave
metroave began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
epub to mobi 3 files instead of 1

I'm a basic user, so forgive this question: I have an epub file I want to publish for Kindle using KDP. I have converted it to mobi using kindlegen and also using calibre, and I prefer the way it looks when calibre converts it. Only problem is calibre produces a mobi file, the cover jpg file, and the opf file rather than one (bigger) mobi file containing all three (which is what kindlegen does). Result, when I open the calibre-generated mobi file with Kindle Previewer, the cover image doesn't show up.

1. Can I use the calibre generated mobi file for KDP? Do I upload just the mobi file and not the jpg or opf files?
2. If I do this, will my kindle book have the cover problems I described above, and will it validate?

Sorry for being stupid about this.

hsc
metroave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroave View Post
I'm a basic user, so forgive this question: I have an epub file I want to publish for Kindle using KDP. I have converted it to mobi using kindlegen and also using calibre, and I prefer the way it looks when calibre converts it. Only problem is calibre produces a mobi file, the cover jpg file, and the opf file rather than one (bigger) mobi file containing all three (which is what kindlegen does). Result, when I open the calibre-generated mobi file with Kindle Previewer, the cover image doesn't show up.

1. Can I use the calibre generated mobi file for KDP? Do I upload just the mobi file and not the jpg or opf files?
2. If I do this, will my kindle book have the cover problems I described above, and will it validate?

Sorry for being stupid about this.

hsc
The Mobi is complete as is.

Those other files are for Calibre, displayed cover and a backup of the metadata.

There is a Preference for Save to Disk to Not export those files.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
metroave
metroave began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks. Should I be concerned that the mobi file calibre saves to disk is smaller than the one kindlegen created?
metroave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroave View Post
Thanks. Should I be concerned that the mobi file calibre saves to disk is smaller than the one kindlegen created?
No. The KindleGen one also has the ePub embedded in it, that's why it's larger.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi kdp epub conversion