Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
JTAL604622
Enthusiast
JTAL604622 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900
File Names to long?

I have a library and want to move it to portable from my local drive, however when i attempt to copy it via win7 it errors out with a filename to long message?

The Library works great on my local windows machine but I wanted to put it on my new 500gb portable drive, but I cannot get around this error....

Thanks,

Jonathon
JTAL604622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAL604622 View Post
I have a library and want to move it to portable from my local drive, however when i attempt to copy it via win7 it errors out with a filename to long message?

The Library works great on my local windows machine but I wanted to put it on my new 500gb portable drive, but I cannot get around this error....

Thanks,

Jonathon
where are you putting the Library on the portable (flash?) drive?
Since the Calibre Library can be many folders deep with long Author names and Titles, it needs to be close to the drive root (and that folder should be a short name also)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't remember exactly which version it was, but I believe somewhere around 0.8.11 the filename length was shortened to 75 characters. It's why I'm still running 0.8.6. My library is currently deeper than that and I don't feel like figuring out where to put it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From your description, the error is coming from Windows. The FAT32 filesystem, commonly used on portable storage devices, has a maximum file length of 256 characters. This is from the root to the filename extension, including all the \ characters, see Wiki: Long filename. So, as theducks said, the first work around to try is to shorten any folder names that appear before you get to the Calibre primary folder. From the wiki description, it might be the short name of each folder that counts, and if so then it is the number of folder's deep the Calibre folder starts from that matters the most. If your actual filenames (after the last \) are longer than about 200 characters then you probably are screwed. However, FizzyWater's comment suggests that they are likely not that long.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I found where this came up before - read this thread for more details.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 03:21 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If this is a new external drive and it's using the FAT32 file system, reformat it as NTFS - that should fix the problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote