Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #721
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
Sorry, but IMHO there is no excuse, because Sony has crafted such a great PDF experience on their x50 readers. Thank God I have two 950s.
Problem solved for you then. Stop griping about a problem that you have sorted out by using a device with a larger screen.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #722
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Problem solved for you then. Stop griping about a problem that you have sorted out by using a device with a larger screen.
Since there was a mention of problems on the T1, I thought it made sense to mention this deficiency for the sake of those who had not heard of it. And the problem has *nothing* to do with a larger screen size, and everything to do with the superior PDF reading software on the x50 series vs the newer T1, so I feel that I have ample reason to criticize Sony, because there is such a regression in software quality. Even if I have solved my problem, there is no reason why I should not warn other people who are considering the T1, so that at least they can make the jump with both eyes open, should they choose to do so. I apologize if regular readers have seen my complaint more than once.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #723
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
I apologize if regular readers have seen my complaint more than once.
You certainly did make strong assertions on that issue in the Sony forum.

The reality is that the T1 had issues with rapid page turns/freezing when first sold, but a subsequent firmware issue fixed that issue.

I say again to you, that ereaders prime function is to display ebooks. A PDF is not considered a ebook, rather a portable digital copy of a document. For business, that is a report document based on A4 paper that can be emailed out to clients, business partners et al that can be read on a desktop or notebook monitor screen or lately a large screen tablet.

For any PDF to be successfully and easily read on a 5"-6" ereader, it needs to be source formatted to suit. Most PDF's available for sale are not. Thus it is hardly the ereaders fault it cannot display a PDF not tailored for use on an ereader.

I very much doubt the major ereader manufacturers consider PDF as an important consideration for display on their devices.

As I said to you before. If you have issues with the T1, you can use either of your two 7" PRS-950's or get a 10" tablet (iPad or similar). Problem solved for you.

The PRS-T1, with the latest firmware, is a fine ereader and is a recommended consideration for purchase.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #724
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Sabredog, I almost did not reply to your post, because I didn't want to annoy people more than I guess I already have, but please take it from me that it's not my goal to annoy anyone, just to let people know that the t1 has some PDF limitations as compared to the x50 series. So I'll just say my piece, allow you and/or anyone to reply, and leave it at that in this thread. I'm truly sorry if my protests are tiresome, but I respectfully disagree with some of your points, as follows:

a) "For any PDF to be successfully and easily read on a 5"-6" ereader, it needs to be source formatted to suit. Most PDF's available for sale are not. Thus it is hardly the ereaders fault it cannot display a PDF not tailored for use on an ereader. "
Well, how does that explain that a simple *text only* PDF should display fine on the x50 series but not on the 6" T1? It's *not* a matter of screen size, but of software support, and if Sony claims PDF support, then it should do the best job it can, or at least as good a job as it's done in the past. Sony has already established what a top notch job it can do with its x50 series, which are 5"-7", all of which support PDF better than the 6" T1.

b) "As I said to you before. If you have issues with the T1, you can use either of your two 7" PRS-950's or get a 10" tablet (iPad or similar). Problem solved for you."
Sure, solved for me, but why should I not attempt to warn people thinking of getting a T1? It's hardly off topic, as Sony claims PDF support in the T1, and reflow support at that. I think I'm on topic here.

c) "The PRS-T1, with the latest firmware, is a fine ereader and is a recommended consideration for purchase."
Yes, it is indeed excellent, but only for ePub. It's PDF support is good to mediocre and I feel that I have a right to warn people about this aspect.

In conclusion, I do realize that I've repeated myself, but I also feel that I have a right to warn anyone considering the T1, especially those who say they think PDF support is important. I apologize if I've done it in a repetitious and annoying way. Well, that's it for me in this thread.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #725
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murre View Post
What kind of problems?
So severe it's not even possible to read books on it? Crashes a lot?
I am member of e Dutch forum (ereaders.nl) and there have been a flurry of posts about problems with the PRS-T1. Some of these were about the device locking up: these seem to have disappeared with the latest firmware update, although I also saw one or two complaints about problems after the firmware update.

Other problems mentioned were being unable to authorize the device, the Reader for PC program locking up, being unable to install the erader, problems with downloading ebooks, and the synchronisation not working properly. For me these were enough to disqualify the T1 as "the best choice". Contrary to this the Kobo has mainly favorable reports in that forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Grain of salt warning. You will notice the previous post cites "tons of problems" but fails to give any specifics. That's just bashing. Everyone has their favorite readers.
I did not cite "tons of problems". Those are your words. I said "several problems" which is quite different. And it has nothing to do with my favorite ereaders.
I am just mentioning reports from other users. That's not bashing. I just did not see a reason to give a list of the problems unless explicitly asked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
The Sony's have been exceptionally dependable. I have not had a whit of problem with any including the original PRS-500, and I've owned every iteration up to the PRS-650. They are all awesome devices.
This was not about the PRS-500, or the PRS-650 but about the PRS-T1. The former ones were great devices (except that Sony Reader Library was not such a good program), and for some reason Sony made a quite a crappy entrance with the T1. They effectively released a beta version to the public. They could have done much better, and in fact they should still improve more.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #726
kligy
kligy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
PRS T1 not recognized by Calibre

I just got a Sony PRS T1 and I am charging it with my computer. When I launch Calibre, Calibre does not show the device being connected to my computer.

I am using Calibre 6.17 because I found that with v7, whenever I connected my previous device (PRS 300), it scrambled the listings of the books on the reader. I prefer having my books listed by Author: Last Name, First Name.

I had over 600 books on the PRS 300 and I want to transfer them to the PRS T1. I thought I could do it using Calibre 6.17, but if Calibre won't recognize the device, what should I do?

Do I have to go to a later version of Calibre?
Do later versions of Calibre allow the device to be sorted by Author Last Name, Author First Name?

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.

kligy
kligy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #727
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kligy View Post
Do I have to go to a later version of Calibre?
Yes you do. Support for the T1 was added in Oct 2011 (version somewhere around v0.8.21). Current version is 0.8.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kligy View Post
Do later versions of Calibre allow the device to be sorted by Author Last Name, Author First Name?
Yes you can. There are 2 different ways to do it.The simplest is to go to Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface plugins - Sony PRST1 - Customise and then check the box labelled 'Use author sort for author'
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #728
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In fairness, the T1 did have pretty horrendous problems when released, but they appear to have been fixed in a recent firmware upgrade.
In fairness there were not "horrendous problems". There was a single bug, people overreacted and acted like the sky was falling but in reality it was just an annoyance with a simple work around.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #729
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
In fairness there were not "horrendous problems". There was a single bug, people overreacted and acted like the sky was falling but in reality it was just an annoyance with a simple work around.

It's not the only bug, but the crashing/freezing seemed to be a fairly common problem experienced by many. I don't own it and I don't want to be trolled about complaining when I don't even know what it was like, but if my Reader crashed/froze/flipped pages randomly during reading sessions, I would be pretty pissed off. It may not have been a horrendous problem for you, it may have been for some.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #730
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
It's not the only bug, but the crashing/freezing seemed to be a fairly common problem experienced by many. I don't own it and I don't want to be trolled about complaining when I don't even know what it was like, but if my Reader crashed/froze/flipped pages randomly during reading sessions, I would be pretty pissed off. It may not have been a horrendous problem for you, it may have been for some.
There where also quite a few people who never had those page flipping issues, me included. But that doesn't really matter because Sony fixed it (at least I haven't heard of it since the update) so all that's left is the terrible Reader for PC/Mac (which you don't need if you just want to read) and ring0's problem with slow pageturns while reflowing PDFs.
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #731
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Like I said, people overreacted/misinterpreted what the issue really was and gave the impression of what you posted above. It's simply not true.

I'm not giving Sony a free pass for this, nor am I blaming users for being confused, but the fact is the issue was a single defect with using touch screen that lead to people not understanding what was happening in the software. Once you knew what the issue, you could avoid the issue ever happening, or quickly fix it when it did.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #732
kligy
kligy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
Hi everyone. Just a quick question but maybe w/o a quick answer.
I can sort on the Sony PRS T1 by Author - LN,FN. But how can I get the books in a series in numerical order wiythin the author lists?
If I switch to sort by Title, they come up fine but they are not in alphabetical order by author.
I guess I want a way to sort first by author (LN,FN) and then within that sort to follow up with a Title sort so books get listed the way I want them.

Any advice as to how to do this using the Sony PRS T1 with/without Calibre or using just Calibre.

Thanks muchly,
kligy
kligy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #733
sabredog

kligy

Post your question in either the Sony forum or the Calibre forum. Should have an answer pretty quickly.

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs