Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
kuklachica
Enthusiast
kuklachica began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/WiFi
Where do I start? (Calibre for Kindle)

I just downloaded Calibre and hope to use it for my Kindle. I've set up my email and all that stuff. However, I am kind of confused just exactly what it will do for the Kindle and how/when to use it.

Are there any easy beginner guides? I've looked at the website and here on the forum, but it all seems very overwhelming (lots of information to digest).

Any pointers on where/how to begin to use it would be very much appreciated! Thank you!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
For an overview of calibre there's a demo video here.http://calibre-ebook.com/demo. It's not specific to the Kindle but it may be worth a look.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
When buying ebooks I download them to a temporary folder on my desktop. Then attach the kindle to the usb. Start calibre. Click "Add Book" and direct Calibre to my temporary folder and open the book I want to add. Then highlight the book, click "Edit Metadata". In the ISBN field put in the ISBN from a paper version of the book (just copy and paste from Amazon's site) then click "Fetch Metadata" and "Download Cover" if needed. Edit title, author, tags to your own taste and click "OK". Then click "Send to Device".

For books already on your kindle instead of the temporary folder direct calibre to your kindle documents folder to get the books. If you make any changes after editing the book in your Library, toggle to your Device and remove the unedited book then send the edited version back to your kindle.

Later you can try other things like under Preferences there is an option to make custom columns like "Price" or "Read". One thing that is good to do is under "Convert Books" there is an option to "Create a Catalog". This makes a kindle compatable catalog of all your books that you can send to your kindle like any other book.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote