Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
martinhinsch
martinhinsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DXG
Links between books?

Does anybody know whether, and if so, how it is possible to create .mobi (or html) files that contain links between *books on the device*?
martinhinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Do you mean click on a link in a Kindle document and have it open up another book which is on your Kindle?

If so, I've not read of this being done and I read quite a lot regarding the Kindle. Perhaps someone who's much more techie than me will let you know.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
martinhinsch
martinhinsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Do you mean click on a link in a Kindle document and have it open up another book which is on your Kindle?
That's what I meant. I read somewhere that .mobi file *do* support external links (i.e. links outside of the current document), but I don't know whether they work on the kindle. I tried a couple of things with plain html (renamed to .txt) but the links were just ignored...
Maybe the hash of the file (as in collections.json) would work? Hmm, I'll try that...

Anyways, getting it to work would be *very* handy, e.g. as a way to have customized collections (*with* sub-collections, which I would really, really like to have).
martinhinsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
This would be a great Idea if it could be done. This would be one more reason why eBooks are better than Paperbacks.
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Hi Martin
Been looking for something like that as well.
Would be soooo nice -> new menusystems etc ?
Please keep us informed if anything develops.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm pretty sure that mobi supports this, but the Kindle does not allow it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Osnova Direct Verse Jump allows this from the Home Screen

If I type "jn.3.16" from the Home screen, all my Bibles and Reference books appear in the Link Summary Page.

I can then access each book from the Link Summary Page and then use the Back button to return to that page and access another book.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinhinsch View Post
I read somewhere that .mobi file *do* support external links (i.e. links outside of the current document), but I don't know whether they work on the kindle.
You're right. Mobi files do support external links. They show up in the Mobi Pocket Reader, for example. But, as far as I can see, the Kindle doesn't do anything with them.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
baccilus
Enthusiast
baccilus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I just realized that the Kindle already has interlinking between books. The dictionary is interlinked with everything in that way only, isn't it?
baccilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Well - not sure. Haven't dared any of the hacks, but I would suspect a unix process is watching you cursor placement when reading a book. That process will then kick off the dictionary lookup ?
I have spent an unimaginable amount of time reading on my K3, so I just don't have the "guts" to start hacking/rooting/etc.
Watching this thread though, you NEVER know ;-D
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The way the dictionary works has nothing to do with hyperlinks.

I could swear that I've seen the Amazon Daily blog have links that will open up in the web browser, if you have wireless turned on, so that much, at least, must work. It would be difficult to know how to refer to an external book, though. What would you use? The filename? The book title? Some sort of 'file:\\' link?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I could swear that I've seen the Amazon Daily blog have links that will open up in the web browser, if you have wireless turned on, so that much, at least, must work.
Yes, external links to websites will work fine on a Kindle. Hyperlinks from one mobi book to another mobi book are ignored/not allowed on the Kindle.

I believe it used to be possible on earlier Kindle firmware, but for whatever reason, Amazon has nixed it at some point along the way.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote