Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Nook a huge seller

Dont listen to the Kindle flamers that the Nook sucks: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #2
tautologico
tautologico is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2 International
I'm sure people will point out that demand for a product that is not out yet does not constitute proof for anything about it sucking or not sucking. Basically, no one can tell yet. What this proves is that people are interested in the product.

It will be a good thing if B&N succeeds with the nook, competition is good for customers.
tautologico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
No one can yet tell if the nook is good or bad yet. No one outside of B&N has really had much of a chance to handle it yet.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
No one can yet tell if the nook is good or bad yet. No one outside of B&N has really had much of a chance to handle it yet.
I'm not sure anyone INSIDE of B&N have had much of a chance to handle it yet, either. They sure don't seem to know how to answer questions about it.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Copynik
Copynik began at the beginning.

Device: nook
My sense is mrscoach is correct. I pre-ordered mine in the store, in part because the staff was trying so very hard to find answers to my questions (they were calling headquarters, checking sites, etc). But they really didn't know much about the nook. Granted this was on Oct 24th, just days after the announcement. They took my phone number and promised to call as soon as they got answers to my outstanding questions, but that never happened.

I pre-ordered the nook based on gut instinct and the temptation to be an early adopter. Hopefully my gut was correct. Will know in roughly 3 weeks.
Copynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Suck or not I hope it is a success. I have a Kindle but competition from someone like B&N is good for everyone
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Mine is scheduled to be shipped on Dec. 11. The sales pitch was just too good. I hope it lives up to the hype.

I don't expect it to replace my Kindle 2, but it will be nice having a second reader.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Not sure if this is for all orders or only those ordered now but shipping is supposed to happen on December 18.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It would be nice if we could keep the tone around here a BIT better. I'd rather this place not end up looking like some gaming blog comment thread. The moment we start using terms like 'flamers' we're getting into stupid territory.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #10
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Not sure if this is for all orders or only those ordered now but shipping is supposed to happen on December 18.
Only for orders placed now. I think Nov 14th is the start of orders shipping Dec 18. Those who have ordered already still have the ship dates they were told when they ordered. If anyone is curious about their ship date all they need to do is go check their order status at bn.com, it says the expected ship date. I placed my pre-order on October 20th, my ship date is still set to Nov 30.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #11
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copynik View Post
My sense is mrscoach is correct. I pre-ordered mine in the store, in part because the staff was trying so very hard to find answers to my questions (they were calling headquarters, checking sites, etc). But they really didn't know much about the nook. Granted this was on Oct 24th, just days after the announcement. They took my phone number and promised to call as soon as they got answers to my outstanding questions, but that never happened.

I pre-ordered the nook based on gut instinct and the temptation to be an early adopter. Hopefully my gut was correct. Will know in roughly 3 weeks.
The nice thing about ordering now with the slight delay is that you have time to cancel your preorder if reviews turn out to not be so good, or if you play with one in the store and you don't like it. I have 11 days after it comes out (mine is expected to ship on the 11'th) to see if I'll really want it, which is something the November 30th folks don't get.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
It would be nice if we could keep the tone around here a BIT better. I'd rather this place not end up looking like some gaming blog comment thread. The moment we start using terms like 'flamers' we're getting into stupid territory.
Who are you to tell everyone what to say?
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
Who are you to tell everyone what to say?
wow aren't you full of yourself! for one thing he's been around for quite awhile, and for another he isn't dragging attitude all over the forums
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #14
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
wow aren't you full of yourself! for one thing he's been around for quite awhile, and for another he isn't dragging attitude all over the forums
Ha ha

Thing is, you never know the age of the posters on the Internet.

This is not a good thing for a number of reasons and can actually be very dangerous (unlike the present situation)

But most likely this is an age issue.

(I agree though, best to chase them away....nicely)

Or not,

Your move.

Last edited by Mac Jones; 11-16-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
tufrostie
Enthusiast
tufrostie began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1100, PocketBook 360
My ship date is 12/18, I agree with Nitrousoxide, at least we get to hear some reviews and I am hoping to have all kinds of tips by the time mine gets here.
Course I am also hoping the change in shipping dates was B&N being cautious and mine will ship earlier :-)
tufrostie is offline   Reply With Quote