Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
JayKindle
Connoisseur
JayKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8
Exclamation Calibre's eBook Viewer buggy

Most of the time the eBook Viewer that is built in calibre fails on me.

Sometimes it takes a long time for me to skip the first page (cover) of a book. "Loading Flow"

Other times it never skips to the next page and it just freezes up and crashes.

I am wondering if there is any workaround?

Or if I am the only one having this issue?

I only use the eBook Viewer to check the conversion results before I move the book to my Kindle. I don't use it to read an entire book.

I also wonder if it has an issue skipping the cover that sometimes the image cover can be huge in size? Some ebooks have a large size cover. I tend to edit the metadata and choose a smaller sized image when I can (Amazon).

But like I said before, I find the eBook Viewer quite buggy.
JayKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKindle View Post
I am wondering if there is any workaround?

Or if I am the only one having this issue?
I don't use the viewer extensively, but I've never had a problem with calibre's viewer so I'll take a guess that you might be the only one having this issue. Hopefully others who use it more will weigh in on your problem.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@JayKindle; remember that the calibre viewer actually only supports ePubs; other book formats undergo a on the fly quick conversion to ePub, so using it to validate material intended for a Kindle does not make a great deal of sense.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
try installing kindle for PC then set mobi to be read in external viewer.
Then see if the books in question play nice in the Kindle app.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
try installing kindle for PC then set mobi to be read in external viewer.
Then see if the books in question play nice in the Kindle app.
That's the setup I have, the Kindle for PC opens mobi books when I open a book within Calibre.

The viewer within Calibre is flawless for me for epub format.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Someimes I have a short delay loading flow, but it has never crashed on me.I use the viewer extensively for both epub and mobi and have (accidentally) opened a hundred books at the same time. Then I got an error when I tried to close some of the books but never on less than 20 open at same time. Has never crashed, never skipped cover, never frozen.

Maybe a memory problem?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
JayKindle
Connoisseur
JayKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8
Here is an example.

I tried opening a Mobi file that I had converted from PDF. It took aprox. 5 minutes to unfreeze in the reader after I wanted to skip the cover page. At the end it said that a script was a problem and if I should stop the script or something. Once I did this, it skipped the cover page and finally I was able to read the text.

Here is a screenshot (see attachment below) on how high my CPU was during this process. I think there is a bug. I recall in my early days of using calibre, this problem did not happen before. Hopefully it can be fixed.

BTW, my OS is XP Pro with a 4GB RAM -- I have enough memory to convert videos swiftly fast on this PC, so I doubt it's a memory problem on my machine, but I am willing to help troubleshoot it, if you guys have some steps to offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	93880  
JayKindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JayKindle; why not do a conversion from mobi to ePub and then open the ePub in the viewer; that is after all basically what the viewer has to do.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Converting to epub might help troubleshoot. I understand that you don't want epub, but if the epub displays the same symptoms it would indicate a problem with the file. I have not used XP in quite a while so no help there.

Good luck.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKindle View Post
Here is an example.

I tried opening a Mobi file that I had converted from PDF.
What program did you use to do the conversion - I have had some similar performance issues as you're having - and I think PDF conversions may have been a factor.

I find that MobiCreator is both the simplest and the best.

It works straight out the box, apart from some folder locations there are no settings to tweak. Its free, development has ceased, so no upgrades to worry about - I've used on XP, Vista and W7. It's never misbehaved.

MobiCreator Download

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Ebook-viewer.exe crashes (latest version, factory settings) on a 9000-something page book. Though it works fine on my Kindle. (I have only 2 Gigs of RAM in my computer)

The script on this page appears to have a problem. Do you want to stop the script?
Though no scripts installed, nor do I know if I can install scripts for ebook-viewer.exe at all.

Last edited by avid01; 11-24-2013 at 12:41 PM.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Ebook-viewer.exe crashes on a 9000-something page book. Though it works fine on my Kindle. (I have only 2 Gigs of RAM in my computer, though)
I can't LIFT a 9k page book and still read it. Where/why on earth create such a monster?

I do remember using the 9inch thick Websters (I have no clue as to how many pages) in the public Library. It was confined to a stand near the center of the room. That was one of the thickest books I have ever seen.

My point is simply: Just because it is technically possible to create a single file that fills a modern 3T hard drive, does not mean that you should.

OTOH I will give a to the Kindle that does manage to not barf on that size of a book. Consider that feature: a bonus
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Maybe the o/p might try doing a conversion to ePub format within calibre as opposed to the implicit conversion that the viewer is doing, and then viewing the epub version as opposed to the kindle format.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Maybe the o/p might try doing a conversion to ePub format within calibre as opposed to the implicit conversion that the viewer is doing, and then viewing the epub version as opposed to the kindle format.
A possibility.
I would have used a native viewer for the main formats my device supported and not the built in (convert on the fly if needed) viewer
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I can't LIFT a 9k page book and still read it. Where/why on earth create such a monster?
I did not create it. But isn't that's what ebooks are created for, not to kill that much trees?

Only 2,500 pages in print, by the way: http://www.amazon.com/Merck-Manual-H.../dp/0911910301
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote