Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Dchow
Dchow began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Glo
How to Make Format Changes to E-Pubs from the Toronto Public Library?

I have a Kobo Glo that works wonderfully, and I've had no problems or issues with books I've bought through the Kobo store.

I've recently started downloading e-pub library books through Overdrive from the Toronto Public Library. The program used is Adobe Digital Editions.

I've noticed that, whereas I'm able to change the font size, I cannot change line spacing.

Also, the listed page numbers now reflect the number of pages in the entire book. I don't like this. I'd rather it reflect the number of pages within each given chapter.

I hope there is some way to make these changes, as it greatly affects my ability to enjoy reading these books. Thanks!
Dchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The page number display is how it is handled for all material in ePub format.

The only books that show page count within a chapter are those that are bought from Kobo and downloaded either wirelessly by the Glo, or, from Kobo Desktop via an USB connection.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Dchow

Ah, thanks for the reply. So I guess that means there's no way this can be changed? Do you know if this holds true for line spacing?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will admit I've not played a great deal with changing the formatting; others have. The first thing you will probably need is to remove the DRM from the books so they can be easily edited. Best way of doing that is to install calibre (see the forum here and the actual download here) and then Google for "Apprentice Alf" and install his tools into Calibre.

Be aware that discussions of Apprentice Alf and his DRM removal tools is not allowed here at MobileRead; you can (if needs be) ask for help at the Blog that you found.

Once DRM has been removed I think others will chime in on how to make the changes to the books to meet your needs.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
After DRM removal you can use Calibre to convert the epub, to include all the settings you like. Calibre's "Look and feel" in the conversion settings gives you lots of options, including changing the line height. I set mine to a minimum of 80%, so I have something to work with on the Kobo. Otherwise minimum is 120% I think, which is much too large for my taste.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Dchow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
After DRM removal you can use Calibre to convert the epub, to include all the settings you like. Calibre's "Look and feel" in the conversion settings gives you lots of options, including changing the line height. I set mine to a minimum of 80%, so I have something to work with on the Kobo. Otherwise minimum is 120% I think, which is much too large for my taste.
Thanks so much! I've figured out how to deal with the line spacing.

But now the only thing I can't figure out is how to make the page count reflect the numbers of pages in a given chapter instead of the whole book.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchow View Post
Thanks so much! I've figured out how to deal with the line spacing.

But now the only thing I can't figure out is how to make the page count reflect the numbers of pages in a given chapter instead of the whole book.
I think you can achieve this by renaming the file from *.epub to *.kepub.epub (but I haven't tried this myself, I much prefer the whole book numbering scheme).
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think you can achieve this by renaming the file from *.epub to *.kepub.epub (but I haven't tried this myself, I much prefer the whole book numbering scheme).
But I think you would have to have removed DRM first for this to work.

(As an aside to dchow does Rule 3 mean anything to you?)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #9
Dchow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
But I think you would have to have removed DRM first for this to work.

(As an aside to dchow does Rule 3 mean anything to you?)
Thanks for the suggestion, Geoffr. I just might try this. I'm a little afraid of somehow screwing the file up though.

Last edited by Dchow; 01-16-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchow View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Geoffr. I just might try this. I'm a little afraid of somehow screwing the file up though.
You won't, you'll just change the extension. You could make a duplicate as a backup. If you search this forum you'll find a thread about renaming epubs to kepub.epub, might give you some more information.

Glad you figured out the line height!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-pub, kobo glo, library, library book, toronto