Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #46
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lithium Ion and Lithion Ion Polymer batteries are alike in that respect - neither of them minds being "topped up", unlike older battery technologies where it did harm the battery not to fully discharge/recharge it.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't a lithium ion polymer battery; they've almost completely replaced the older lithium ion technology.
All the current Sonys are ion battery but the Kindle is polymer.

A quote from the repository of all human knowledge (Wikipedia) on Lithium-ion battery (without the polymer bit).

* The rate of degradation of Lithium-ion batteries is also related to battery charge level; they degrade much faster when at 100% charge, than at lower charges. Since batteries die if deep discharged (depleted) and since a battery has some self-discharge it is frequently recommended to store batteries at 40% charge level.

I'm just going to buy a 40%-ometer.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #48
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Priced more than $200? Here we go again (in the U.S.).
If the price is €165, then it most certainly won't be over $200. Remember, all Dutch shops (unless specifically geared towards companies) have the VAT included in the price. And, as Harry already mentioned, that's 19%. And als Pietvo also already mentioned, it usually is about €1 = $1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
Does that mean the WiFi will be tied to local e-book stores? I hope not since I buy very few swedish e-books.

Other than that, it looks like really nice
No. But bol.com has a specific mobile site for ebook readers. So, you can go there easily from your reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
LOL - the joys of machine translation. I don't know what the "mustache" line should really say,
"Dat zit wel snor" (that sits mustache) is a very literal translation of a Dutch saying. It means something like "that will be alright, don't worry about it".

Quote:
It's attractive compared to the £199 of the PRS-650, but it is competitive against the £111 of the WiFi Kindle?
Comparison: the K3, if I were to order that, would be €135. So, €165 isn't so bad a price.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #49
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I see in the screenshot that they have kept the same bad font, and no mention of changing fonts on-device (just changing sizes and margins, which you can already do). Bummer. I realize I am probably in the minority about this, but better fonts and/or ability to change them is the #1 thing that would make me upgrade.

Right now I use a Calibre plug-in to copy all the cover images to my device and then I manually choose the cover for the book I'm currently reading. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this and having it automatic would be much better. So I am excited to see that. There is just something much more book-like about seeing the cover of the book you are reading as the stand-by image. They stole this feature from Kobo, but I don't care, I would love to have it.

I would be really surprised if they stopped using the IR touchscreen. It's so great that Kobo and Nook also adopted it recently.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
If the price is €165, then it most certainly won't be over $200.
It could be. €165 with VAT is €138.61 without VAT, which is $201 at today's exchange rate. But I agree that it's unlikely to be this much - European prices are generally significantly above US prices. I suspect it's more likely to be in the $150 range.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #51
Thamyris
Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!Thamyris rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I see in the screenshot that they have kept the same bad font, and no mention of changing fonts on-device (just changing sizes and margins, which you can already do). Bummer. I realize I am probably in the minority about this, but better fonts and/or ability to change them is the #1 thing that would make me upgrade.
Google translate messed it up a bit. From the Dutch description: "Ook kun je het lettertype en de -grootte aanpassen", meaning you can change both the font and font size. Yay!
Thamyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #52
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamyris View Post
Google translate messed it up a bit. From the Dutch description: "Ook kun je het lettertype en de -grootte aanpassen", meaning you can change both the font and font size. Yay!
Great news, thank you! Actually that creates a problem for me. I don't like to "upgrade" with every cycle, but it is a big frustration I have with my current device. Hmmmm....

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #53
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Looks like a nice upgrade. Nothing special, but nice. It will be interesting to see what local prices are and how they compare to other readers like the Nook or Kindle.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #54
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
168g for a 6 inch screen?! Thanks to my dodgy shoulder, weight is always my main concern when researching a new ereader. I want this...
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #55
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
168g for a 6 inch screen?! Thanks to my dodgy shoulder, weight is always my main concern when researching a new ereader. I want this...
Some people will complain about a plastic casing and others will see it as an upgrade

For me, the upgrade is not even close enough to want to upgrade my PRS-650. I don't need that zooming ability (considering I create my own PDF's), and wifi is nice, but not a requirement for me. And that dual-touch, I don't care about. I just want to read and highlight...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #56
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Good idea to move this out of the Sony forum. Some faces here I have not seen before.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #57
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Some people will complain about a plastic casing and others will see it as an upgrade

For me, the upgrade is not even close enough to want to upgrade my PRS-650. I don't need that zooming ability (considering I create my own PDF's), and wifi is nice, but not a requirement for me. And that dual-touch, I don't care about. I just want to read and highlight...
Yes, that is one less on my list of potential temptations before the end of 2011. The upgrade is not good enough for me either, I am sticking to my 650. If the new Kindle is a tab and there is no new e-ink device in the Kindle range, then amazon won't stay in the list either.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #58
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
[QUOTE=Squirsier;1719056]
Also, one thing I really liked about the PRS-350 and 650 is how their covers fit nicely with the eReader itself by using hinges. It's transparent and looks like a real book. QUOTE]

I also like having the reader on a hinge. It makes making my own cover very easy, just a fabric book cover.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #59
BenChen
EPUB Metadata ******
BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.BenChen is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Just a quick side-note: the next version of PRS+ will have the option to display the current book cover on standby. And this is for all models: 505, 300, 600, as well as 350, 650, 950. (And if you can't wait for the next version, build your own from the source. It isn't too difficult!)

Sincerely,
Ben.
BenChen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #60
melmurray
Enthusiast
melmurray began at the beginning.

The key question for me is have they sorted out the glare. I love my Sony but I'm going to need a neck brace soon from all the contortions I do try to angle the thing.
melmurray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-t1, sony, specs