Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I believe that is true (conspiracy) if a group intends to commit a crime but not if you merely discuss criminal behavior.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I believe that proving that someone is wrong/right about "Kill the damn Jews!" is less harmful that not letting them speak out their mind, and let the keep thinking that "Kill the damn Jews!" is "alright/wrong".
Avoiding the discussion is not healthy in anyway, even if the subject being censored is something illicit or illegal.
The reason something like thati is illegal in most countries is because it encourages others to feel or do the same, not because one persone is proving how much of an idiot he / she is.
There are limits to any personal right, and that is when your rights hurt someone else's right. If your speech incourages someone else to hurt another person then your right to free speech should be curbed in favour of that person's right to safety.
It has nothing to do with censorship, as far as I'm concerned say anything you like in your own home, or even to other hatefull individuals, but not to innocent mind that can be affected and infected.
And people who say such things are hardly going to be "cured" by saying it.
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Speaking of piracy, here's a fun site, send them $50 and then you can download all the books you want, forever, yeah, the publishers are sure to be behind that one.

Link deleted by moderator

Last edited by HarryT; 05-28-2011 at 12:23 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please don't post links to pirate sites.

Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
When I saw the header I couldn't help but think how silly the group in question was being. It would be like someone not wanting sex education to be discussed because it might lead to teen pregnancy. Of course if such a talk was held it would probably have the opposite effect of decreasing teen pregnancy. Not talking about a subject doesn't make it go away. All it does is hide it away from people.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:48 PM   #21
Enkidu of Abydos
Master of Disaster
Enkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneEnkidu of Abydos makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't post links to pirate sites.

Thanks.
The moment I saw that post I knew it was going to be deleted. ALMOST everyone knows you can't post such links on a site like this...
But really, how could the link hurt anyone, since anyone wanting to pirate is going to pirate for free, not pay 50 $ to pirate, at least if they have half a brain...
That reminds of watching Pirates 4 last night. Arrrghhh mateys, onwards to Tortuga !
Enkidu of Abydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:14 PM   #22
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
oops sorry didn't realize it was against the rules.

eta- on another site someone asked what people thought. I think she thought it was legit. I haven't seen anyone talking about it anywhere. I wonder if it is related to that other place that was talked about goodereader or something like that. Reading the text on the site that I posted it really did sound legit, if one didn't know better. So I imagine they are making some money off it.

Oh and the person told me she followed the link from an Amazon page! I have to go and search there myself, and see if there is a way to report it to Amazon. If I can find it.

Last edited by booklover6; 05-28-2011 at 01:39 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
I think booklover6 was being sarcastic by posting a website that needed visitors to pay 50$. Does piracy mean "free" + (maybe) "donation"? I wouldn't visit any commercial pirate websites. No way.

Last edited by jshzh; 05-28-2011 at 08:08 PM.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
gracie
Enthusiast
gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm not endorsing piracy, and would be unlikely to go to their websites, but then I'm old and even pay for the software I use. I think this whole thing deserves a big "Duh!"

The major publishers are still operating in 19th century robber-baron mode, in a 21st century world with 21st century technology. And incessantly claiming poverty, which I think the vast majority of people no longer believe (if they ever did).

Colluding to raise prices, treating the buying public with disdain (as was stated earlier), charging ridiculously high prices for a format with miniscule add-on costs (if you can sell a paperback for $3, is there any reason other than greed that you can't sell an ebook for the same $3?)... Does anyone REALLY wonder why piracy is happening, and I suspect will grow increasingly, just as it has for computer software?

Electronic formats have, I believe, introduced new generations to reading. Those generations have, again I believe, a much greater acceptance of music "piracy", software "piracy", and ebook "piracy". When it's sufficiently cost effective to purchase a "legitimate" copy from a "legitimate" source, the piracy will decrease. If that doesn't happen, it'll grow...
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
This thread has been dead for 7 months. You may wish to consider whether you have anything useful to add before resurrecting it...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
gracie
Enthusiast
gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Well, Harry, I figure it's either gonna be this topic or a new one that has a very similar discussion... The number of e-readers and tablets skyrocketed this Christmas, and the number of people that are, or will shortly be, extremely "perturbed" when they see the publisher prices, will likewise skyrocket.

I suspect a significant number of those folks will go looking for places where they can get CURRENT titles - they aren't going to be interested in Gutenberg and reading Dickens - they want Steven King or Dean Koontz or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... I suspect pirate websites will proliferate just like pirate websites for software have.
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie View Post
The number of e-readers and tablets skyrocketed this Christmas, and the number of people that are, or will shortly be, extremely "perturbed" when they see the publisher prices, will likewise skyrocket.
I seriously doubt this. Why would people new to e-reading be surprised that buying an e-book costs just a bit less than buying the book in paper? None of the people I know who bought an e-book after agency pricing was established have really complained any more about e-book pricing than they have about regular book pricing.

It seems like most of the e-book pricing complaints come from people who bought an e-book reader before agency pricing and thus experienced a price hike. I don't think that many new, non-MR readers particularly expect buying a new e-book to be much less expensive than buying a new paperback. Most people seem to be happy that there are so many public domain books that they can get for free.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #28
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
Too bad idiocy isn't illegal...
If it was the 99% would be in jail!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #29
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
If it was the 99% would be in jail!
And then who would the 1% exploit?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu of Abydos View Post
Too bad idiocy isn't illegal...

P.S.
This might not be exactly true (your statement). I mean even though you have freedom of speech you still can't legally say for example : "Kill the damn Jews !" or something like that, because you're incouraging a violation of someone else's rights (to live). By the same principle calling for a ban on speaking about piracy is incouraging a violation of someone else's rights (to free speech) and should therefor be a crime (not saying the two are equal in magnitude of course).
This varies on a nation by nation basis. Here in the US, it is legal to say or print such things as "Kill [insert group here]" Heck, when it comes to discussing Middle East politics, 'turn (insert country here) into a parking lot!' is an oft-heard refrain. What crosses the line here are specific threats against specific targets, i.e. "Let's go burn down the Mosque on yonder hill!" or "Let's poison the perrier at the local Unitarian after service brunch!"

According to Richard Kolko of the FBI, "It's usually a First Amendment right if they don't cross the threshold of making threats... There's nothing we should or could do."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...#ixzz1iWGu7C4a

The above statement was in reference to a 'prayer' posted on an 'Islamic' (NOT!) website that asked God to rather vile things to Jewish people. As disgusting as such speech is, here in the US it is protected. And, frankly, I don't think that nations that have laws that forbid such speech have demonstrated themselves to be sufficiently racially harmonious to justify the existence of those laws. On the other hand, I think the laws regarding conspiracy and 'material support' of terrorism are strict enough in the US to have the effect of banning speech that would be legal in other countries (say the UK or Canada).

[Disclaimer: I love Muslims, Jews, and Unitarians and I am emphatically not advocating that anyone do any harm to members of any of these groups.]

[Mods: If this is too off-topic, I apologize, but I think it is proper to emphasize that what is and is not protected under a legal right to freedom of speech is highly variable both across nations and across topics.]
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote