Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
gondwild
gondwild began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Two book formats under one listing

I have an .epub and .pdf source file of the same book. They are both originals (.epub is not converted from the .pdf) and I would like to input them into my Calibre library and have them listed as a single entry, that I can choose which specific format to view/put on my e-reader.

Is this possible? How?
gondwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:18 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Add one of them in the normal way to create a book entry in Calibre.

Having done that find the entry, and select the Edit Metadata option. This will then open a dialog that (amongst other things) allows you to add/remove formats for that book entry.

It is also possible to create the inital entry with no format using the "Add Empty Book" (accessed via down arrow on Add Books icon) option and then add both formats via the Edit Metadata dialog.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It is also possible to create the inital entry with no format using the "Add Empty Book"
Funny story:
I tried the "Add Empty Book" option for the first time when I was adding books and got distracted, leaving the book in the database, but empty. I forgot about it, but that night my wife says the server won't work. "Odd," thinks I, "let me look at the error messages." The messages are cryptic, but one refers to "split(',',1)" Yesterday the server worked fine. I'd been playing with the source code that day, and the only change I made was to change "split()" to "split(',',1)" so I think, this has to be related to my changes.

The area of code I'd been working on had nothing to do with the server, but it seemed unlikely that it would suddenly throw an error exactly like the change I'd made.

I restore backups, delete the source code, reinstall, etc. nothing will fix the problem. Finally I figure out that the main server will work, only the \mobile server is broke. Of course, I'd been playing with the mobile server earlier! As far as I could tell, I was not running any of my code changes.
I switched to a smaller test database and that works, so I know the problem is in the main database. In the end I'm looking at the books I'd added (sorted by time) and I find the "empty book" I'd forgotten about.

Bottom line, although I haven't tried to repeat it, I think a truly empty book will throw an error in the mobile server, and the similarity of the error to my code change was just a coincidence.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Will be fixed in next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Will be fixed in next release.
You are amazing!
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert