Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #106
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
they'll have to ship daylight to me by pack mule!
And you'll need it to recharge your Earl.

And we're back on topic, just like that!
Hoo-ra, baby!

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #107
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not for nothing, but the Earl announcements says the other radio choice for the US is GMRS.

To the best of my knowledge, GMRS still requires a license. It's just a matter of filling out an online form and paying a fee, no test or anything, but required nonetheless.
The FCC has proposed to do away with that license, but it hasn't happened yet, unless the news got by me.

My advice: if you are at all technically savvy, study up on-line, find an examiner, and take the no-code technician class ham test. It really is not all that hard, and you'll be able to use a radio band that is not constantly polluted by every drunken idiot with a Walmart walkie-talkie.

As a bonus, you'll be a licensed amateur radio operator, so when the zombie apocalypse comes, you'll get stationed in the command bunker manning the radio net, and not stuck on the muddy barricade with a shotgun.
But it does not require a license to buy it, just to use it. GMRS shares 7 channels with FRS and so long as you use it in .5Watt mode without an external antenna you should be in compliance with FRS requirements to share the channel, so although it can't advertize FRS since the antenna can be swapped with an external longer or remote antenna which is not legal for FRS you should be good to go. Compliance with the law is a user thing. YMMV

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #108
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
But it does not require a license to buy it, just to use it. GMRS shares 7 channels with FRS and so long as you use it in .5Watt mode without an external antenna you should be in compliance with FRS requirements to share the channel, so although it can't advertize FRS since the antenna can be swapped with an external longer or remote antenna which is not legal for FRS you should be good to go. Compliance with the law is a user thing. YMMV

Dale
Did you see any indication that there IS a .5 Watt mode? I only see mention of 2 Watts.

And for the record, as you suggested above, in the US we don't need the license to buy ham gear, either, nor to listen to it. Only to key the transmitter.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 08-12-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #109
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Did you see any indication that there IS a .5 Watt mode? I only see mention of 2 Watts.
I only see 2W for GMRS. $85 is ridiculous for a no-test license. Sounds like a cash cow.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #110
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I only see 2W for GMRS. $85 is ridiculous for a no-test license. Sounds like a cash cow.
It would be great if they actually enforced it, because as it is, GMRS is as bad as CB was at it's worst in populated areas: just constant streams of loudmouths (aforementioned drunken idiots) endlessly holding the PTT button and singing profanity.

If it was aggressively enforced*, that $85 (for 5 years, for a family) would keep the band usable.

But, instead, they will likely just eliminate the fee, as proposed.

ApK

*By hams with directional antennas and billy clubs. We seriously need more organized vigilantism. I mean "self-regulation."
Advert
Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #111
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
It would be great if they actually enforced it, because as it is, GMRS is as bad as CB was at it's worst in populated areas: just constant streams of loudmouths (aforementioned drunken idiots) endlessly holding the PTT button and singing profanity.

If it was aggressively enforced*, that $85 (for 5 years, for a family) would keep the band usable.

But, instead, they will likely just eliminate the fee, as proposed.

ApK

*By hams with directional antennas and billy clubs. We seriously need more organized vigilantism. I mean "self-regulation."
Requiring the $85 fee at time of purchase would go a long way to weed out casual users. Manufacturers could then go back to producing non-fee FRS radios for those unwilling to pay the fee.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #112
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

And for the record, as you suggested above, in the US we don't need the license to buy ham gear, either, nor to listen to it. Only to key the transmitter.

ApK
I haven't seen any indication since they removed the FRS from the specification but before that there was a .5 Watt in the spec so I don't know if they removed it or not. It would be useful to save power and batteries when not needed. I think I will go over to their forum and ask the question. It should not be difficult to include it.

Dale
Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #113
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Delayed again...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #114
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
how long does that make the delays, total?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #115
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
Originally supposed to ship last year.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #116
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Delayed again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
how long does that make the delays, total?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
Originally supposed to ship last year.
Was supposed to ship in late September or early October of 2013, but I think everyone figured that was a pipe dream.
I'm still excited about it, but I must admit that my enthusiasm is starting to wane. I'm pretty much just waiting to have a box arrive at work out of the blue at this point.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #117
Edward_R
Zealot
Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward_R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Pacific Northwest (about 35 miles northeast of Seattle)
Device: K3 / HP 10" Tablet (FBreader Installed)
I requested abnd recieved a refund a long time ago.
Edward_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #118
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward_R View Post
I requested abnd recieved a refund a long time ago.
I'm wondering if I should get a refund, and then pay the extra for an Earl if I still want to buy one in a few years time (when they are finally available).

I'm starting to wonder if they have their software act together, seeing how they clearly don't have their hardware act together. And software is the key to making an eInk screen look good under Android.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #119
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
IAnd software is the key to making an eInk screen look good under Android.
Plus with Android maturing itself quite rapidly one has to wonder if they are staying current, or staying with what was current when they started development.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #120
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Plus with Android maturing itself quite rapidly one has to wonder if they are staying current, or staying with what was current when they started development.
They are staying current, Kit-Kat is the current test OS. I think the software is sound. They can do the software themselves but the hardware is farmed out. The software is also less regulated, no FCC testing.

Dale

Tags
earl, gps