Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #46
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo Glow's should be available through independent book stores either now or in the next few days. I received a call from an independent in Madison Wisconsin today who said their stock had arrived.

I told them I had found a local independent in the St. Louis area who was going to carry Kobo (at last count they are six independent stores in the area who will be carrying). They have not arrived here yet but I expect tomorrow or Monday I will be hearing from my local.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #47
tnforpaul45
Zealot
tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnforpaul45 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
Kobo Glow's should be available through independent book stores either now or in the next few days. I received a call from an independent in Madison Wisconsin today who said their stock had arrived.

I told them I had found a local independent in the St. Louis area who was going to carry Kobo (at last count they are six independent stores in the area who will be carrying). They have not arrived here yet but I expect tomorrow or Monday I will be hearing from my local.
Dang, so I'm not unique anymore? ;0
tnforpaul45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #48
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
My local indie emailed me yesterday to tell me my Glo came in. Were it not for the call of laundry, I would have one in my hands now.

I see, from roaming around the Internets, that some indie stores across the country will actually be carrying the ARC, which so far is not a part of any conversation I've had with my local. So I looked into the ARC specs and it definitely is a big difference from the old and detested VOX, which I never considered. Thing is, as 7", $200 tablets go, I might get it.

Pros: Speakers are on the front, which is not true of the Nexus 7. Full Google store, which is not true of anything from Amazon. Nice screen specs. (Relatively) lightweight, although I wish it did not break the 12 ounce barrier. That's flirting with discomfort on extended reading sessions.

Cons: no SD card slot, and to get 32GB storage, you have to go to the $249 model, and I'm not sure I'm willing to go there for a 7" tab.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #49
dentateck
Enthusiast
dentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
For me, it's all about reading experience. As nice as Arc's (or any tablet screen for that matter) screen is, you can't read for any prolonged periods of time, it just aggravates your eyes especially if you read in bed in semi or complete darkness. Plus, we all go little OCD when we know it's a tablet and it just itches you to check your social feeds, your email, your who-knows-what. If you want a pure reading pleasure without unavoidable distractions of a tablet you gotta go with single purpose e-ink reader. Glo brings you nice balance between being easy on the eyes with nice front-lit screen and sheer reading nirvana of immersion in a book.
dentateck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #50
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
My Glo from shopereaders.com was delivered on Wednesday and I'm very happy with it, although I still wince when I think about what I paid to import it from Canada when they will be available locally eventually.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #51
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Well, I'm still waiting.

dang it
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #52
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnforpaul45 View Post
Dang, so I'm not unique anymore? ;0
However, if you cultivate a relationship with a local independent, perhaps you now could get local warranty service if something happened to your unit.

I also wonder if you could somehow get your unit registered with a local independent so they'd get a cut of your book purchases too?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #53
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
My local indie emailed me yesterday to tell me my Glo came in. Were it not for the call of laundry, I would have one in my hands now.
Was there a dire laundry emergency? I have trouble imagining laundry stopping me from picking up my pre-order in that situation (and yes, I do laundry in my household).

Quote:
I see, from roaming around the Internets, that some indie stores across the country will actually be carrying the ARC, which so far is not a part of any conversation I've had with my local. So I looked into the ARC specs and it definitely is a big difference from the old and detested VOX, which I never considered. Thing is, as 7", $200 tablets go, I might get it.
I must admit I hadn't considered whether any of them would carry the Arc. Very interesting.

What's odd is that Chapters/Indigo/Coles in Canada will be carrying the Nexus 7 and the Kobo Arc. *THAT* makes no sense to me. I know that Chapters/Indigo sold off Kobo, but they're still awfully tight. And the Arc supports Google Play and (like you pointed out) has a lot of pluses over the Nexus 7.

Quote:
Cons: no SD card slot, and to get 32GB storage, you have to go to the $249 model, and I'm not sure I'm willing to go there for a 7" tab.
I'll be getting the Arc as a present for my girlfriend. The lack of an SD card port was a big con, IMO, until they announced those 32GB and 64GB models. Now I don't care so much.

$249.99 model? *Phhhft* I'll be getting the 64GB model for $299.99.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #54
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Well, Fry's is now accepting pre-orders for the Kobo Glo in Silver: http://www.frys.com/product/7309684

No words on when it might actually ship, though.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #55
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I bought a Kobo Glo today, from Park Road Books in Charlotte, NC. Great store!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #56
Fernblatt
Fernblatt began at the beginning.

Device: All
To dream the impossible dreeeeeaaaaaammm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
If Best Buy US has a page set up on their website site for it, although incomplete, it would be logical to assume that "coming soon" means just that. I doubt that they would prepare a page for something that is months away from being sold...A waste of time and money I would think...
But yet, today is 4 march 2013, and US Best Buy's page still says
"Coming Soon" and most other vendors treat it as a Hot Item and
want upwards of $150 - some asking over $200

*sigh*

Guess the best prices are out of Canada to the US. Sadly, Best Buy Canada tells me they do not ship to US addresses, else I would have gotten one from
them at $129US ages ago

Tom
Fernblatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #57
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernblatt View Post
But yet, today is 4 march 2013, and US Best Buy's page still says
"Coming Soon" and most other vendors treat it as a Hot Item and
want upwards of $150 - some asking over $200

*sigh*

Guess the best prices are out of Canada to the US. Sadly, Best Buy Canada tells me they do not ship to US addresses, else I would have gotten one from
them at $129US ages ago

Tom
sorry Tom, but wouldn't either of these do?
http://www.powells.com/biblio?isbn=0681495000142
http://www.familychristian.com/kobo-...der-black.html
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #58
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Here's a link to a page at the Indiebound.org site that lists independent bookstores selling the Glo. I got mine at Pomegranate Books in Wilmington NC for the same price I see listed for it everywhere else. I'd suggest you call and check before going to one though,

http://www.indiebound.org/ebooks
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #59
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I went to Kobo's website where they list the US independent Booksellers and found the closest store that had one in stock with a couple quick phone calls. The worst part was the 60 mile round trip as the closer ones listed decided to not sell them after all. My guess is the margin is not anything to write home about, or someone locally has a screw loose about selling them cutting into their paper book sales.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #60
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Thanks for the links; I just ordered mine from Powell's!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote