Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #16
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
he doesn't offend me. to me he's one of those authors who is just 'there'. nothing outstanding, nothing totally worthless, meh. you're not missing much if you don't read his stuff.

i'd rather give Larry Correia (a fellow Baen author) the business. he writes 'alpha male' urban-ish fantasy but its light on the politics. and his writing/characters are far better than Ringo's.

Last edited by xg4bx; 04-04-2012 at 04:44 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #17
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
What do you think of his new series called Clan of the Claw and the first book in the series called Exile, or his recent series called Troy Rising?

Last edited by jbcohen; 04-05-2012 at 07:37 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have picked a starting point being A Hymn Before battle and that is starting out pretty well. I would much preferr if John Ringo would spend more time developing the central plot and less time with sub-plots so far. However, I am still in the early stages of the book so I am hoping that it wil develop well as the book progresses but so go so far.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What do you think of his new series called Clan of the Claw and the first book in the series called Exile
Is that the alternate history, "magic dragons vs cat-people" one?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
jbcohen
Wizard

Don't know have not picked up the books at the moment I am reading the book A Hymn Before Battle.
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
I've read a John Ringo novel, but to be honest I don't remember the name. However the bad impression remains: lots of right wing ranting with a mediocre plot line. Based on my remembered impressions I have no desire to read anything else of his.

On another note: has this ever happened to anyone else? I mean you don't remember the name of the book but do remember that you thoroughly disliked it and the author, but can't remember specifics.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
On another note: has this ever happened to anyone else? I mean you don't remember the name of the book but do remember that you thoroughly disliked it and the author, but can't remember specifics.
Oh yes. If I know that I don't like an author, the name of the book becomes irrelevant and soon gets erased from memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #23
jbcohen
Wizard

Which of his series are still open ended? Ones that he is still working on, I love that anticipation of the next book in the series.

I have noticed on john ringo's offical site he does not mention the Polseen war in any way. Is he telling me something about the series when he omits it from the web site?

Last edited by jbcohen; 04-09-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
I love most of Ringo's books though my current favorite is his current ongoing series, the Troy Rising series.

I agree about the Empire of Man series being some of his best as well.

You can download all of his books free except for the current Troy Rising series at the fifth imperium.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/1...eoftheStormCD/
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
jbcohen
Wizard

Hmm, I am going back to David Weber to polish off what he has written and the Empire of Man is on that list as well. It seems that I can read the whole series for my favorite price tag $0, its at the fifth imperium.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #26
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
I love most of Ringo's books though my current favorite is his current ongoing series, the Troy Rising series.

I agree about the Empire of Man series being some of his best as well.

You can download all of his books free except for the current Troy Rising series at the fifth imperium.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/1...eoftheStormCD/

I would have to agree about Troy Rising, it is a great series so far. However the wait for the next one in the series.....
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
jbcohen
Wizard

I realy like the fifth imperium it has been saving me a whole stack of dollars, its something that I wish I knew about when I was going through the Honor Harringtion novels. Does the fifth imperium have copies of any series that is still open?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I realy like the fifth imperium it has been saving me a whole stack of dollars, its something that I wish I knew about when I was going through the Honor Harringtion novels. Does the fifth imperium have copies of any series that is still open?
There is e.g. the first parts of the RCN Series or the complete Vorkosigan Saga.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
jbcohen
Wizard

Great I have no problem paying for part of the series if I get to sample the series for $0. Often called a loss leader I am willing to go along with that. One of the more visable examples of a loss leader is Proctor and Gamble's Gillette Fusion razors, the handles are sold for less then the comapny pays to make them and instead Proctor and Gamble makes up for it by increasing the prices of the patented blade cartridges.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #30
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
I've read and enjoyed the Council Wars series.

I'm curious about the comments about his political blah blah. Didn't see any of that in the ones I read. Anyone have examples?
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote