Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #781
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Hoods7070 - payback time, maybe your can help here Question in regards to modifying the "insert metadata as a page in a book"

Cheers BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #782
Hoods7070
Zealot
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
This is all ancient history now, I know, but thought I'd let anyone interested know for the record that there is no doubt the culprit for all the speed issues I have had is definitely the HDD in my laptop. I was recently using Calibre on my USB3 portable and to my delight everything mentioned in this thread whizzed along as it should! So now Calibre resides on the USB drive - not altogether convenient but also quite a good thing in that my library is now portable.

The abysmal (ABYSMAL!!) drive speed doesn't noticeably affect anything else I use, but it's agonizing using Calibre for anything beyond 2/3-book library modification/maintenance. Seriously, what's the use of Toshiba making a fast i7 machine then reducing it's functionality to WWII standards with the drive in it!!?
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:15 AM   #783
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
This is all ancient history now, I know, but thought I'd let anyone interested know for the record that there is no doubt the culprit for all the speed issues I have had is definitely the HDD in my laptop. I was recently using Calibre on my USB3 portable and to my delight everything mentioned in this thread whizzed along as it should! So now Calibre resides on the USB drive - not altogether convenient but also quite a good thing in that my library is now portable.

The abysmal (ABYSMAL!!) drive speed doesn't noticeably affect anything else I use, but it's agonizing using Calibre for anything beyond 2/3-book library modification/maintenance. Seriously, what's the use of Toshiba making a fast i7 machine then reducing it's functionality to WWII standards with the drive in it!!?
have you checked the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #784
Hoods7070
Zealot
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
have you checked the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive?
I have now - thanks for the suggestion. I ran Crystal Disk Info and everything checks out. Having Calibre on the portable is really fine, many advantages, so I won't pursue this hard drive thing any further - SSD prices gave me palpitations!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #785
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
I have now - thanks for the suggestion. I ran Crystal Disk Info and everything checks out. Having Calibre on the portable is really fine, many advantages, so I won't pursue this hard drive thing any further - SSD prices gave me palpitations!
SSD's are way cheaper than my FIRST MFM (5.25" 1/2 height) HD. US$425 for 40 MB (yes, Megabytes) Seagate.
But yes for the price of 6T of drives, you can get 1 small SSD
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:25 PM   #786
Hoods7070
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
SSD's are way cheaper than my FIRST MFM (5.25" 1/2 height) HD. US$425 for 40 MB (yes, Megabytes) Seagate.
But yes for the price of 6T of drives, you can get 1 small SSD
Yes, my gosh. I might pop one in at some stage, but right now I am actually enjoying my $60 1TB USB3 drive.

My first computer in the early 90s was an Osborne portable which cost $5K, which included a state of the art dot matrix printer ... whoohee! I try to remind myself of those CPM and BASIC when I get tight about peripherals.