Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #241
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
OK less flippant response. A preference is simply what you like best. A moral is what you believe is the best way to live in the world. We might believe differently what is the best way, but it isn't just what we like best. I might like one thing best but choose to do something else due to my feelings on what is the moral choice. However, this is getting even further off topic than it was before.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #242
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
It doesn't sound like "moral" means anything other than "preference" in this context if all choices are moral choices.
Some people simply don't understand the difference between ethics and mores and simply project their values unto the body public insisting everybody adhere to them. Culture Wars are started and maintained that way. "Discussions" become simply people talking *past* each other without real exchange of ideas. After a while it usually leads to riots, underground extremist cells, bombs, and the collapse of civilization...
Or not...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #243
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The Google definition of morals:
Quote:
A person's standards of behavior or beliefs concerning what is and is not acceptable for them to do.
So, any decision or action COULD be a moral one if the individual believes that it is, and is basing their judgment on what they believe to be a principled position. But it is an individual thing...one person's morals are not another's.

To one person it could be a moral act to save all stray cats in their neighborhood - to another they could look at a cat and say "mmmm, dinner". (Not me, I like cats, but I've been to places in the world where that is exactly the case).

To get in an argument over whether or not an action is performed on a moral basis is ridiculous because no one can say it isn't - they can only say it isn't for them. To each his own.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #244
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
In some communities eating cat or horse is not just acceptable but encouraged. In others facilitating it is downright illegal. Different communities, different mores.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #245
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Isn't that just cultural and nothing to do with morals?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #246
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
A culture can help one define their morals. A group of people with the same morals over an extended period can create a culture. At least that's how I understand it.

People who live in a particular culture could develop a different moral stance and "rebel"...
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #247
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Isn't that just cultural and nothing to do with morals?
No, as I understand the definition, morals are directly tied to your culture's expectations of what is correct behavior.
Ethics are the reasoning and codification behind that behavior.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/ethics-vs-morals/

On a related note, integrity, as I see it, is consistency and steadfastness in the application of ethics and morals.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #248
forgottenbooks
forgottenbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I have a new grandson, so I have been buying baby stuff. One item in particular was $44 at Walmart, $55 at Target and $60 at Babies R Us. The exact same item, same packaging, everything. Do I feel at all guilty for buying it at Walmart? Nope!
When it came to sheets, the Walmart sheets were cheaper, but I didn't like the way they felt, so I bought Target. Babies R Us felt the same but were more expensive. Do I feel guilty for not buying Walmart or Babies R Us? Nope. As a matter of fact the best sheets I bought were at the used store.
Should I have to pay to go feel the fabric of those sheets? Or see which place has the cheapest price? Or feel guilty because I bought most of my sheets at the used store and none of those 3 stores got my money? I don't think so.
S
I agree and liked your example as well its impractical to pay for the feel of bedsheets fabric and likewise its not fair for bookshops to charge used for browsing only.
forgottenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #249
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
fjtorres was talking about "mores" not morals - related but possibly different...or not. Shall we have a heated debate about that?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #250
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
fjtorres was talking about "mores" not morals - related but possibly different...or not. Shall we have a heated debate about that?
Pretty much the same thing. "Mores" are the generally accepted moral standards of a group - eg a culture or society.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #251
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Pretty much the same thing. "Mores" are the generally accepted moral standards of a group - eg a culture or society.
And as such are acknowledged to be culturally and historically situated whereas, on some accounts at least, morals transcend the cultural and historical specificity in which they are manifest. For example, raping babies might be thought to be a moral issues in the sense that, it could be argued, it is always and everywhere wrong. Taking hallucinogenic drugs, on the other hand, might be thought to be more a question of of culturally specific mores - at some times and in some places it is considered a degenerate and disapproved of activity and at some times and in some places it is considered an elite and valued activity.

Morals are, it can be argued, universal whilst mores are not. However, the point was that the respondents above seem to have misread fjtorres' contribution and I was simply pointing that out.

Are you maintaining that there is actually no difference between mores and morals Harry, and that therefore the misreading, if that's what it is, makes no difference?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #252
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
My bookstores already charge to browse - they call it the cafe.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #253
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
I just got the news that my favorite brick and mortar book store, which I had thought was getting by in a well-protected niche, is going out of business.

Honestly, I don't know what the future holds any more.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #254
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAcheson View Post
I just got the news that my favorite brick and mortar book store, which I had thought was getting by in a well-protected niche, is going out of business.

Honestly, I don't know what the future holds any more.
Did they provide the reason?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #255
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Did they provide the reason?
It turns out that their landlord simply wanted to rent the space out to someone else for more money, so they lost their lease.

The going-out-of-business sale is ongoing, they are in there until April. The store owner hopes to liquidate his stock, take some much-needed time off, and figure out what to do next.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote