Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
eReader

Even though I'm mostly in Mobipocket (.PRC) format I still have around 100 books in the eReader (.PDB) format. Since it's DRMed and I haven't found any way to convert them I'd still like to read the books I have to stay with a device that will support eReader. I'm currently on a Palm T|X but I really like the new eInk devices. Are there any that support eReader along with Mobipocket?
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Are there any that support eReader along with Mobipocket?
Nope.

If someone came out with a device that supported a number of the bigger DRM formats they'd likely have a hit, but I don't know how likely it is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Even though I'm mostly in Mobipocket (.PRC) format I still have around 100 books in the eReader (.PDB) format. Since it's DRMed and I haven't found any way to convert them I'd still like to read the books I have to stay with a device that will support eReader. I'm currently on a Palm T|X but I really like the new eInk devices. Are there any that support eReader along with Mobipocket?
No, I know of no dedicated eBook reader that supports more than one DRM format. Too bad IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would guess that perhaps "exclusivity" might be a condition of Mobi licencing their format to a device manufacturer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would guess that perhaps "exclusivity" might be a condition of Mobi licencing their format to a device manufacturer.
I've seen bits and pieces that support that guess pretty firmly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If a device ran on the Palm operating system or Windows (mobile or regular flavor) or Symbian then eReader could be loaded. I'll have to decide if I *really* want an eInk device badly enough to either rebuy my eReader books in a compatible format or keep my PDA for that format.

I actually prefer eReader to Mobipocket except for the device issue.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
If a device ran on the Palm operating system or Windows (mobile or regular flavor) or Symbian then eReader could be loaded. I'll have to decide if I *really* want an eInk device badly enough to either rebuy my eReader books in a compatible format or keep my PDA for that format.

I actually prefer eReader to Mobipocket except for the device issue.
There are a lot of people in your boat. You might like to look at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16081

Also Windows and Mac portable devices will run eReader.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

I decided to go with the Kindle, I need something easier on my aging eyes. A significant number of the eReader books I own I could repurchase on Amazon in the .AZW format for significantly less than I paid for them at eReader. My DRMed MobiPocket books are less available at Amazon. For now I'll read my eReader books and DRMed Mobipocket on my T|X. Since I own hundreds on non-DRMed MobiPocket books I'll be able to read them on the Kindle.