Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Beaverbank
Beaverbank began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Calibre Library problem

Hi everyone, just joined the forum.
I have a slight problem and I hope that someone can advise me on solving it.
I have a Nook and my libray consisted of around 3000 books.
Someone gave me a disc with a further 4000 books on it.
I decided to put these extra books into my Calibre library.
The way I did it was to find the Calibre library on my C drive, open it and copy and paste the contents of the CD into that file. It took around an hour to do that.
However when I now open Calibre to make sure all of the new books are in there I find that I only have 2000 books in my library.
What have I done wrong?.
Have I loaded these new books in the wrong place?
Any responses would really help thanks
Beaverbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You cannot add books to the library using an OS level copy. As you have found if you do that then Calibre will not recognise that you have added the books. You have to do it via the Add Books facility within Calibre.

When you use the Add Books facility, Calibre is doing much more than simply making copies of the books into its library folders. It is also updating its database with the fact that books are there, renaming them if needed to conform to Calibre's internal naming standards, and extracting metadata (if present) and covers from the books.

It is likely that as a result of your actions you have lots of redundant files now stored in your Calibre library. You can tidy up this by using the Calibre Library Maintenance facility (available via the little arrow on the right of the Library icon).

NOTE TO MODERATOR: THis thread should probably be moved to the Library Management part of the forum.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
Beaverbank
Beaverbank began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Calibre problem

Thanks itimpi. I have checked and you are right about the redundant files, so I have deleted the Calibre library and re installed the Calibre software. So now I have a clean sheet.
When I click on add books it is looking for a file.
My books are all on CD.How do I get these books from the CD into my calibre?
When I bought my Nook it already had the books loaded , so this is the first time I have tried to load any books from a cd.
Sorry to be a pain.
Beaverbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Hit the little arrow to the right-hand side of the Add Books toolbar icon in Calibre and select the option that corresponds to how the files are stored on the CD. Then when the file selector dialog comes up point it at the CD.

Note that with that number of books it can take a LONG time. You might prefer to do it in smaller batches.

Note that you did not need to delete the existing Calibre library to keep its existing contents and get rid of the redundant files. The library Maintenace option I mentioned would have done that for you.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote