Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Anyone have the new Sony cover with light?

I was wondering if anyone has the cover with light built in?

It seems like a similar idea to the M-Edge cover with light, except the Sony one actually exists.

I would love to see pictures of it in action, too. Thanks.

Last edited by sahmad88; 09-22-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Fix typos
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I don't think its available yet. I would like to see it too, not nuts about the light adding bulk
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
It is available... At least for the 300.
My local Best Buy had a bunch of them, but I went for the regular cover since I wanted to keep the profile as small as possible.
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
I will have to try Best Buy. I really want the case for a 600, but I would be fine seeing a 300.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I don't think its available yet. I would like to see it too, not nuts about the light adding bulk
With the PRS 505 cover light you could take the battery and light part off and just keep the cover at times when you won't need additional light.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 AM   #6
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I just got it and put it on about an hour ago. So far, I'm not impressed. The light seems very dim to me and the arm isn't easy to adjust. I may end up returning it and using an external reading light instead. We'll see how I feel after I've gotten some rest and really had time to play with it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #7
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Thanks for the initial impressions SolRaven.
I already bought the normal cover for the 600 and might just go for the mighty bright. Although the light cover does seem nice in that everything is nicely fitted....will look out for some more impressions here before making the final decision.

btw has anyone used mighty bright pocketflex? looks nice and portable..

lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
The cover with light is just... so sad. I tried to use it to read in bed and it was just too sad and pathetic to even call a light. Forget about the low setting, the high setting isn't worthy of being called a reading light. I'd say the light's illumination would be perfect for say... putting on a key chain to help illuminate the lock on your car or home. That's about it. I have $10 lights that give off more illumination than this light. As much as I wanted to love this light, I can't even pretend that it's at all useful. Ah well... back to Abt you go.

I tried to take pics but couldn't figure out how to do it to show off the lighting. This was my best shot. What you can see is how even with the 700 you can see additional illumination coming from the built in lights. With the prsacl6 light cover, all you see is a spot on the reader showing that the light is indeed on, but no additional illumination on the page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3796.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	36319  
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I really wasn't impressed with the 505 version of it at all. The light was very uneven, and the battery life very short.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really wasn't impressed with the 505 version of it at all. The light was very uneven, and the battery life very short.
True - but still better then a round spot as the photo above shows.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's certainly true .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Harry, may I please complain again about why can they not make e-ink screens "translucent" in order to provide a backlight?

No? OK, I'll drop it, sorry to bring it up again.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Should had actually posted this here.....

I use this Great Point Light, it was the same exact light Sony marketed for the 500/505. It folds up nicely within itself, very compact. The 2 LED's light the screen perfectly. I took the shot in daylight, the reflection on the screen is just angle.....this light illuminates the screen nicely for night time reading. This is the 3rd device I am using it on, and I couldn't be happier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light1.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	36324   Click image for larger version

Name:	light2.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	36325   Click image for larger version

Name:	light3.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	36326   Click image for larger version

Name:	light4.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	36327  
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:16 PM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Should had actually posted this here.....

I use this Great Point Light, it was the same exact light Sony marketed for the 500/505. It folds up nicely within itself, very compact. The 2 LED's light the screen perfectly. I took the shot in daylight, the reflection on the screen is just angle.....this light illuminates the screen nicely for night time reading. This is the 3rd device I am using it on, and I couldn't be happier.

Is the little roach clip easy to reposition? I probably change hands with every other page, so it would be in the way. Have you tried it over the top instead of at the side?

EDIT: Oops! Explanation required: I always read in landscape mode, so for me, the pic would be where my hand is. What I should have asked is does the clip fit well onto the side nearest the spine of the cover?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really like the lightwedge cover for the 505. Been using it--sporadically, as I usually have some light--for many months, up until I got my 300 last month. Still on the first set of batteries. I find it gives fairly even light, and the low setting is fine for reading. The lighting tends to be much more even than the led 'spot' booklights I've used, and after a short while the details disappear and I'm just reading in the lightwedge glow. Just bought one as a gift for my sister's 505 too--they're getting hard to find now.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote