Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Sigil v0.1.2

Sigil v0.1.2 has been released. The ChangeLog (live version here) for this release follows:
Quote:
Sigil v0.1.2 2009.08.12.
- added the ability to specify the main publication identifier directly,
through the "CustomID" basic metadata property (issue #3)
- fixed a bug with warning dialog not informing the user of unsaved changes
when editing in code view (issue #30)
- Sigil is now a universal Mac application (ppc and i386, in 32bit) (issue #5)
- implemented a workaround for a bug in QTextCodec causing bad HTML codec detection (issue #74)
- SVG elements are not removed anymore (issue #24)
- inter-document HTML links are now fully supported (issue #53)
- fixed rare issue where CSS style rules could get duplicated when changing views
- fixed issue with inline style tags in OPS documents not being loaded (issue #58)
- Sigil can now accept a file to load as the first command line argument; this also
provides support for "Open With..." operating system features (issue #63)
- fixed an issue where the reported build time in the About dialog was actually the execution
time (issue #65)
- loading of missing files in the recent files list is now improved (issue #57)
- fixed a rare issue where the wrong view could be sent to the printer on print actions
- Sigil now creates a guide element with a cover page in the OPF if the content of the first
OPS document is less than 1000 characters long (issue #48)
- support for importing UTF-16 encoded documents (not just UTF-8)
- provided install target for linux; the binary is now also named "sigil"
(lower case 's') on Unix systems (except Mac) for the sake of convention (issue #46)
- removed dependency on "data" directory (issue #51)
There is no binary build for the Linux version, and this is final. The build system is now trivial to use, and it has a shiny new "install" target (for Linux).

The next release should come with an installer for the Windows platform. Mac users already have a prepackaged DMG, and from what Mac users tell me (and the Apple developer website), this is the preferred way of deploying applications for that platform.

I will not be providing DEB and RPM (and whatever else package type) packages for Linux systems simply because there are too many. 32bit & 64bit DEB's and 32bit & 64bit RPM's alone make up four, and this is simply too much work for what Google Analytics and the download counts specify as 10-15% ~9% of the Sigil user base. Providing just some package types and not others would be unfair. And when/if package repository maintainers of the various distros decide to include Sigil, they will be making their own packaged versions either way. So there's really little point.

Sorry guys. But as I've said, building Sigil is trivial, and now you have an install target too. From what I can tell from other native-code, multi-platform OSS projects, an installer for Windows, a DMG for Macs and a source package for Linux people is a common way of doing things. And their build procedures are a lot more involved.

Now let's get back to "Yaaay, Sigil is 0.1.2! Why haven't you done the search dialogs and view syncing yet? You sooo suck."

Last edited by Valloric; 08-11-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
0.1.2 !! woot !! thank you valloric !!! 0.1.2 karma coming.

-added the ability to specify the main publication identifier directly,
through the "CustomID" basic metadata property (issue #3)

woot woot !!!! special thanks and karma for that too !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Grabbed it, will have a play as soon as I get a mo!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Excellent And don't fret over debs and such, it is trivial to build on Linux, even for me
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
"Yaaay, Sigil is 0.1.2! Why haven't you done the search dialogs and view syncing yet? You sooo suck."

No, but seriously. Great effort, Valloric!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
That is pretty sweet, Valloric! Awesome initiative!
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
"With Sigil I get my eBooks created much more easily than with all other products. And for that price! It's a real bargain! Even my kids love my eBooks now. When I showed Sigil to my neighbor he was totally flabbergasted. ePub editing never was that easy!"

Sorry, couldn't hold me back ... Really, Valloric, great effort! I didn't even wait for an adavnced beta version, but gave it a try, and I really like it.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
"With Sigil I get my eBooks created much more easily than with all other products. And for that price! It's a real bargain! Even my kids love my eBooks now. When I showed Sigil to my neighbor he was totally flabbergasted. ePub editing never was that easy!"

Sorry, couldn't hold me back ... Really, Valloric, great effort! I didn't even wait for an adavnced beta version, but gave it a try, and I really like it.
i nominate K-Thom as the official Sigil marketing rep.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #9
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
I couldn't get it to build in linux.

Errors:
/sigilcode/src/Sigil/Headings.cpp: In static member function ‘static QList<Headings::Heading> Headings::GetFlattenedHeadings(const QList<Headings::Heading>&)’:
/sigilcode/src/Sigil/Headings.cpp:197: error: no matching function for call to ‘QList<Headings::Heading>::append(QList<Headings:: Heading>)’
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qlist.h:414: note: candidates are: void QList<T>::append(const T&) [with T = Headings::Heading]
/sigilcode/src/Sigil/Headings.cpp: In static member function ‘static QList<Headings::Heading> Headings::FlattenHeadingNode(Headings::Heading)’:
/sigilcode/src/Sigil/Headings.cpp:214: error: no matching function for call to ‘QList<Headings::Heading>::append(QList<Headings:: Heading>)’
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qlist.h:414: note: candidates are: void QList<T>::append(const T&) [with T = Headings::Heading]
make[2]: *** [src/Sigil/CMakeFiles/sigil.dir/Headings.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src/Sigil/CMakeFiles/sigil.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Extremely nice piece of software.

Very easy to use

Now, if only it could import PDF's

But that may show up in later versions? (I hope)
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Extremely nice piece of software.

Very easy to use

Now, if only it could import PDF's

But that may show up in later versions? (I hope)
There never ever will be a decent import function for PDFs. Please DO convert your PDFs to text and edit those manually before importing them into Sigil!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
There never ever will be a decent import function for PDFs. Please DO convert your PDFs to text and edit those manually before importing them into Sigil!

M'kay... I hate PDF anywho, just hoped for an easy way to not have to fiddle around with them
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
I couldn't get it to build in linux.
I built this on Ubuntu Jaunty just fine before release. Try building from trunk. If that doesn't work, the problem must be at your end.

Please do notice that you provided basically no information about your system: which version of Qt is installed, which distro you are running, which version of GCC you are using, which version of Sigil you are trying to compile etc. All of those (and more) would be very helpful.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I built this on Ubuntu Jaunty just fine before release. Try building from trunk. If that doesn't work, the problem must be at your end.

Please do notice that you provided basically no information about your system: which version of Qt is installed, which distro you are running, which version of GCC you are using, which version of Sigil you are trying to compile etc. All of those (and more) would be very helpful.
Sorry, I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid with what the package manager says are the latest versions of everything. That's likely my problem. Thanks. I've been meaning to move to Jaunty shortly.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
M'kay... I hate PDF anywho, just hoped for an easy way to not have to fiddle around with them
Don't we all? But there is no chance that there will ever be a tool like that. PDF is so locked in that easy conversion is just not viable without losing a lot of the formatting.