Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #346
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
I think the "problem" here is that the Kindle app will display the cover image specified in the cover <meta> tag when you open a book. With an ePub, you need to specifically include a separate HTML page with the cover in the spine in order for it to appear when you open the book in most readers.

That said, my understanding of ePub cover best practices is that you shouldn't be showing the cover when you open the book - tell the reading software how to find the cover, but let it decide whether or not to display it.
What the threepress link says is:
Quote:
Ensuring the widest interoperability for your cover means including an XHTML cover page (as the first “flow”), a cover image, and bits of OPF metadata to refer to these items using consistent names.
Which agrees with your original point, that for an ePub the "cover" needs to be the first item in the flow. When Calibre converts a MOBI to ePub, for example, the MOBI cover is put on the 1st page of the ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 AM   #347
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Which agrees with your original point, that for an ePub the "cover" needs to be the first item in the flow.
Yes, but they also set linear="no". Which means that ADE will see it & pull a cover from it, but you won't actually see it when you open the book - which wouldn't address jhowell's complaint.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #348
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Yes, but they also set linear="no". Which means that ADE will see it & pull a cover from it, but you won't actually see it when you open the book - which wouldn't address jhowell's complaint.
Which means that ADE could do it (not show it when you open the book), but as far as I know, ADE just ignores linear="no", i.e., it displays it as anything else.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #349
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be fair, I think if Mobi_Unpack were to generate an initial (manifested) XHTML page with the cover image in it, it would be making assumptions about the original source that it couldn't possibly know. The only thing certain that can be ascertained from reading ePub specs is that there is no official way to handle cover images/pages in an ePub. So the bare minimum of properly manifesting the image and adding the <meta name="cover" content="blah"/> tag seems appropriate to me, in this light.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #350
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I agree that it would not be appropriate for an unpack tool to generate new xhtml for the cover and handling it via metadata is the most sensible thing to do. That said, the full-size cover images in the KF8 files I have unpacked to EPUB are manifested, but not explicitly indicated as being a cover in the OPF. I suggest adding a name=”cover” meta tag (as per Amazon) and/or cover-image property (as per EPUB-3).

ETA: Ooops, my bad.. The cover meta tag IS present in the unpacked files. Never mind.

Last edited by jhowell; 04-24-2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Correction
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #351
xxy
xxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Great job, Kevin. It's just getting better and better. I have previously generated a mobi file with embedded fonts using kindlegen 2.4. Now there seems a problem after unpacking and splitting into a mobi7 and a azw3 (KF8) file. The azw3 file can be opened by Kindle Touch but there's no embedded fonts any more. It might due to the lack of declaration of the fonts information in the manifest section of opf, I guess.

Last edited by xxy; 04-25-2012 at 10:43 PM.
xxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #352
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Simply run Mobi_Unpack on the split .azw3 file and examine the Log to see if the fonts were properly included or not. Perhaps the fonts were encrypted? Either way, unpack it and look to see what is up. If there is a bug, let me know here.

ps.
I can not recreate this issue ... I have tried it with various kindlgen generated sample files that have fonts and all of the fonts were properly included in the split version of the file.

So I need more here if you wan to get this bug fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxy View Post
Great job, Kevin. It's just getting better and better. I have previously generated a mobi file with embedded fonts using kindlegen 2.4. Now there seems a problem after unpacking and splitting into a mobi7 and a azw3 (KF8) file. The azw3 file can be opened by Kindle Touch but there's no embedded fonts any more. It might due to the lack of declaration of the fonts information in the manifest section of opf, I guess.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-26-2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: added request for more info here
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #353
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Mobi_Unpack_v050 is out

Hi All,

Here is Mobi_Unpack_v050 which is a pure bug fix release. Both bugs were detected and fixed by Kovid (Thank you Kovid)

- fixed bug with unreliable decoding of zlib header by letting zlib handle it

- fixed bug with images stored in urls in the style= attributes in tags in the main xhtml files

Please post any bug reports here.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi_Unpack_v050.zip (46.5 KB, 1157 views)
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #354
xxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

Simply run Mobi_Unpack on the split .azw3 file and examine the Log to see if the fonts were properly included or not. Perhaps the fonts were encrypted? Either way, unpack it and look to see what is up. If there is a bug, let me know here.

ps.
I can not recreate this issue ... I have tried it with various kindlgen generated sample files that have fonts and all of the fonts were properly included in the split version of the file.

So I need more here if you wan to get this bug fixed.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have tried to unpack the split .azw3 file and found, just as I presumed, the fonts are included but no references in the .opf file. (I have also tried the newly released 0.50. Same thing).

Curiously enough, if you check one step back, the .opf in the mobi8 folder is perfectly right (with fonts references and everything) when unpacking and splitting the original mobi. So I think this is a fixable bug.

To make your debug easier, I will upload a test mobi file later on. Thanks again.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #355
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've created several combination MOBI/KF8 ebooks containing embedded fonts using kindlegen, and the azw3 file produced with Mobi_Unpack's splitter utility always performs exactly as expected. The embedded fonts work fine in the .azw3 files (just as they did in their respective combo file). Unpacking those .azw3 files results in ePubs in which the fonts are properly manifested in the OPF, and the embedded fonts are displayed properly when using ADE.

If you do upload a test file, be sure to upload a kindlegen-produced, combination MOBI in which embedded fonts are working the way they should (in the KF8 portion) before splitting.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-26-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #356
xxy

Attached are the original .mobi file and the split .azw3 file.
mobi8-content_nodrm.azw3.zip
Please also check the 2 pictures captured from my Kindle Touch screen and you will know what the problem is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobi.gif
Views:	577
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	85751
Click image for larger version

Name:	azw3.gif
Views:	573
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	85752

Last edited by xxy; 04-27-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: remove the unnecessary attachment
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #357
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I couldn't say what might be going on with your Touch, but I assure you that the AZW3 file you uploaded has working embedded fonts and unpacking that same AZW3 file shows that the font-files are indeed properly manifested in the OPF file. The embedded fonts work as they should in the KindlePreviewer (and the Kindle for PC app), but perhaps there is something different about the Touch.

See if giving the file an AZW or MOBI extension (instead of AZW3) makes any difference.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #358
xxy

Thanks. I have re-checked the .opf unpacked from .azw3 and the fonts information ARE there. My bad, sorry about that. Looks like it's a Kindle Touch rendering problem now. Let's wait for Amazon's next firmware update then.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #359
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I’m not sure what tool produced or manipulated it, but I recently came across a mobi7 file that contains several FONT sections with no data in them. This book is viewable in Calibre and Amazon applications, but caused mobi-unpack to fail. I mention this as a “heads up” in case others come across this sort of malformed file.

FYI: The error occurs in the struct.unpack_from call following elif type == "FONT" in mobi_unpack.py. I patched my copy to skip it if the data length is too short.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #360
xxy

Looks like it's not only a problem with the sideloaded "homemade" KF8 files, but also the purchased "legal" ones (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175999) on the Kindle Touch. Amazon really needs to address this issue sooner.