Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #1
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
What's in store for the Kindle (x) keyboard?

I have this feeling that the Kindle (x) is going to go touchscreen. It just seems to be the way of things. If that is the case, I will sorely miss the physical keyboard. I have yet to find a virtual keyboard that I really like, including the iPad.

Will it be the K4? K5?

I'm hoping to see the restoration of the number keys on the next iteration. But it'll probably be a TS Kindle instead.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
hmmm. i'm not sure about my feelings on a touchscreen. the only touchscreen i like is the one on my ipod touch. it's very responsive and i don't have to press too hard.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Ugh! I hope not. I dislike those things intensely.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I would expect Amazon to introduce a touchscreen tablet reader probably with non eink screen for high price while also selling kindles at ever lower price. I'll stick with non touch eink.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm certainly not fond of the touch screen on my android... trying... but it isn't coming
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I'll take a kindle touchscreen please.
I would think that even if you don't like an ereader touchscreen, for the amount that it's actually used, it wouldn't be a big deal.
If you do use it constantly then a tablet is probably more to your needs anyway.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Maybe it is just because I am an old fart, but I find my Kindle 2 nearly perfect for my needs. I use the keyboard for taking the occasional note or for searching for a term or name in a book I am reading, and of course, when using the browser. I certainly would not want an ungainly LCD-screened tablet for a reader. I take my Kindle everywhere, and read it one-handed while on the bus or metro. I recently spend a week in the hospital, a couple of nights of which were spent on a gurney in a corridor. With my Kindle and some earplugs, I was just fine.

My vote is: no, for touchscreen; and yes, for keyboard.

A slide-out keyboard might be a nice space-saver, if it didn't add too much weight.

Last edited by montalex; 04-03-2011 at 09:07 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Sure, I like physical keyboard. The one on my desk! The one on the kindle is pretty horrible. Fortunately, I never use it for anything except search. I'd just as well have a touch screen kbd if it means a smaller, lighter unit, or dare I dream, a bigger screen in the same body.

(All my fingers are amputated and I have these big knobs but still manage to use iPhone and iPad, so I really don't understand what normal people are complanning about with touch screens.)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I personally don't mind the removal of the keyboard, since I rarely use my Kindle anyways. Plus, with a touch screen, the web browser would be a lot easier to use (no 5-way controller to deal with). However, I can see how it can be of use, so I deal with it.

What I think would be best is if they kept the keyboard, but added touch screen support (AND touch sensitive buttons). That way, people would be able to choose. Then again, people will complain about that too.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 AM   #10
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kranu: people complain about everything but i do like having choices however, if amazon decides to go along with this, i think i'd prefer it to be a separate "edition" of sorts? i mean, if it adds a substantial $$$ to the price, people might get turned off
Old 04-04-2011, 02:52 AM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
@kranu: people complain about everything but i do like having choices however, if amazon decides to go along with this, i think i'd prefer it to be a separate "edition" of sorts? i mean, if it adds a substantial $$$ to the price, people might get turned off
That could work, but it could be very confusing:
  • Kindle WiFi
  • Kindle WiFi Touch
  • Kindle 3G+WiFi
  • Kindle 3G+WiFi Touch
  • (I know that DX does not have a WiFi model yet, but I think that it's inevitable)
  • Kindle DX WiFi
  • Kindle DX WiFi Touch
  • Kindle DX WiFi+3G
  • Kindle DX WiFi+3G Touch

A more practical solution would be to offer a "Touch" edition only in the premium models. For example, you cannot get a white Kindle WiFi; you have to pay $50 for the 3G. Similarly, they could make it so that only the 3G model could support touch.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
That could work, but it could be very confusing:
  • Kindle WiFi
  • Kindle WiFi Touch
  • Kindle 3G+WiFi
  • Kindle 3G+WiFi Touch
  • (I know that DX does not have a WiFi model yet, but I think that it's inevitable)
  • Kindle DX WiFi
  • Kindle DX WiFi Touch
  • Kindle DX WiFi+3G
  • Kindle DX WiFi+3G Touch

A more practical solution would be to offer a "Touch" edition only in the premium models. For example, you cannot get a white Kindle WiFi; you have to pay $50 for the 3G. Similarly, they could make it so that only the 3G model could support touch.
yeah, i can see where everyone would just get confused more

i just don't want amazon trying to make its kindle "trendy" or...how shall i say it, everything-all-at-once thing. it's going to be a challenge for them to figure out how to make the screen size bigger without making the overall kindle size bigger and still keep the keyboard, which many people here seem to want to stay. some here have suggested that the keyboard just be a slide-out thing, but it might add to the weight and i wonder if that kind of tech seems more fragile since you keep pushing and pulling it out.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I find the touchscreen on the Sony 650 very good, so it wouldn't particularly bother me if they used the same on the Kindle and ditched the physical keyboard. I have to say that when I read something on my Kindle just after using the Sony, I sometimes get really annoyed that I have to use the 5 way thingy.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i just don't want amazon trying to make its kindle "trendy" or...how shall i say it, everything-all-at-once thing.
I don't want to see it turn into a tablet either!
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Maybe it is just because I am an old fart
I'm also one of those, but I'm very much in favour of a touch screen, providing it's smooth and responsive with a well thought out and intuitive layout.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote