Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-23-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
Stuart Young
MobileRead Editor
Stuart Young has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: e61i / Eee PC / PRS-505
Readble content on my iliad - nope :(

It can't just be me, can it? I've got two basic types of source file. Microsoft LIT and some PDF (all un encrypted) no problems actually getting them onto the device. My problem is the text it just too damn small. I'm converting the lits to PDF using Amber Lit Converter However the end result is always the same stuff looks to small to read comfortably.

I'm wondering do I wait for OEB support or a zoom function. Anyone having trouble also?
Stuart Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:33 AM   #2
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Yes - PDFs are all unreadable in my Opinion. The HTML-Viewer offers Text-Size-Increasing, but has no "page" functionality yet. The APABI-Reader looks very good, but there is no non-chinese creation-software.

ARGH
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Have you tried to go into the settings and change the pagesize for PDF to A5?
That should help a bit.

I get pagenumbers and page headers spreadded across the document. Any way to get rid of those?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
masc
Enthusiast
masc began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
The problem is that the PDF's are to big, so it will be resized proportionaly by the iLiad. The real viewing space of a PDF viewer is 120x150 mm (the hight is because of the buttonbar). Resized Fonts looking realy ugly and small.

I got the best quality whenn I crop the white space around the text.
masc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
I get pagenumbers and page headers spreadded across the document. Any way to get rid of those?
You can crop it with Acrobat.
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscherno
You can crop it with Acrobat.
No, i meant, the pagenumbers where in the middle of pages. But that was my fault. Convertet from a wrong file.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
Roceh
Roceh began at the beginning.

As tribble said, goto the pdf options in the lit converter and set the page size to A5, the font size stays the same. As the iLiad scales up pdfs to fit the screen, the text looks bigger.
Roceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #8
poir46
poir46 began at the beginning.

If you have the AutoPagex plugin http://www.evermap.com/autopage.asp (see pdf size thread -- demo free but with DEMO watermark) you can in acrobat

1. Use AutoPagex DividePages to split a pdf page to 2 halves (upper/lower)
2. Crop to remove all margins
3. Rotate 90 degrees conter-clockwise

and the result is not too bad, although your pdf file will be quite big. You will have one half pdf page to each iRex page.

Not perfect, and a bit laborious, but better than original unreadable format.

Sorry about my photography skills, here's the before and after:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010228.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	1289   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010226.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	1290  

Last edited by poir46; 07-23-2006 at 05:25 PM.
poir46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
LittleTalker
Connoisseur
LittleTalker began at the beginning.

I achieved more or less the same result using acrobat, but without this autopagex plugin. (note I said acrobat and not adobe reader).
Here's what I did with an A4, 12pt font and generous margins document:
I cropped the whitespace, and then I printed to a new file using the adobe printer, setting the page size to 120x150. I configured the print setup to 'tile all pages' and reduce the zoom level to somewehere near 80%, so it doesn't split every page in four.
I also set a 5mm overlap (the amount of the bottom of the first half that gets repeated at the top of the second half), which works well for a 12pt font.
The effect is that Acrobat automatically prints to landscape and splits the pages in half, repeating the parts that overlap to the specified parameter[funny: I set the printer to landscape and the result were pages upside down... someone said something about left handed use...]. So you get a new PDF document with some margins on the sides, which you can use to insert a page number.
I played around using the adobe printer along with acrobat, you can achieve some decent results. I am yet to try this, but I plan to print to pages slightly smaller in height than 150mm, then add top and bottom margins using the crop tool. That way the split pages will look much better.
Well, I guess the results are good 'cause the damn thing just isn't here yet. I think the results I got should be quite readable on the iLiad. I can't upload the files since these are copyrighted books.

Last edited by LittleTalker; 07-23-2006 at 06:57 PM.
LittleTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Quote:
Not perfect, and a bit laborious, but better than original unreadable format.
You can also do it this way, just crop horizontally not vertically.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7044
Devlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Gavrahil
Gavrahil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librié
The problem with PDF is that it was created not as a reading format, but as a printing format. For this reason it was never intended to have capabilities such as reflow and cropping. The Acrobat started implementing them a few versions ago, but they are sketchy features at best and many third-party PDF readers such as xpdf don't support them at all.
So if you tried to read a PDF which has been created on an A4 template on a screen that is only 12x15 cm big you don't need to be a genius to know what happens.

It is possible to create PDFs that will look absolutely gorgeous on the iLiad since the iLiad has near-print quality screen, but you need to do it right:

1 - Extract the text/images form the file you want to prepare for the iLiad. How you do it depends on the filetype. Just google for any extractor software which exports the raw (I repeat this, since it's really important: RAW) text-data. Some very good extractors conserve things like italization and stuff, but don't count on it.

2 - Import your data into a decent wordprocessor like OpenOffice Write or Microsoft Word and format the stuff like you want to have it. A tip at the sides: use A LOT of formatting templates and name them decently, so you can easily convert the stuff for future readers. Else you'll have to do the whole thing from scratch again.

3 - Create your PDF with the correct template (12x15cm page and decent quality print with 16 colours) and voilá!

I'm sorry. I know you're groaning in front of your screen right now, but this is the only way to do a decent job, and there is simply no easy way to get there, if you want a truly first-class reading experience.

I have though a bit of good news for you, or to be more precise a glitter of hope at the horizon: OpenReader.
For those barbarians of you who have now question marks floating over thier heads (just kidding), OpenReader is a newly developed file format, which has specifically been developed to cover both printing AND reading, so it comes with all the sweetness of configurable imaging, reflowability and the such. And I heard rumors that they are developing a reader software for the iLiad.

So keep your fingers crossed and pray to the gods of e-reading.
Gavrahil is offline   Reply With Quote