Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-05-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
QuickLook (Mac OS X Leopard) and BBeB / LRF / Sony Reader eBooks

Having done a Mobipocket Quicklook plugin -- see

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25603

-- I thought I have a go at a BBeB/LRF/Sony Reader plug-in for the Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) QuickLook system. This is only for unprotected LRF files.

I found it easy to extract a small GIF from the file.

[1.1 update]
With a lot of assumptions, I may have found a way to access a higher resolution cover if it's present in just the right way.

Just download the attached file, decompress it and put the result in your /Library/QuickLook folder. Your LRF eBooks should now show their pretty covers in icon view, and in coverflow view.

Only for Mac OS X 10.5, PPC or Intel.

[edit]
This is version 1.1. I have a very limited number of LRF files to test with, so do let me know of any problems.

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: zip QLBBeB.qlgenerator.zip (8.6 KB, 769 views)

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-05-2008 at 05:07 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:28 AM   #2
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Paul,

Thanks for the Quick Look plugin. It works great when the book has a high res cover. Though some covers (I suspect these LRF's actually have high res covers, ie. the D'Artangnan 4 book series recently posted show up with low res Quick Look preview) come across when opened with Quick Look as very low res/downsampled/pixelated.

Any way to have the book show the title page or first page of text in the absence of a Cover graphic?

Thanks again,

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNB View Post
Paul,

Thanks for the Quick Look plugin. It works great when the book has a high res cover. Though some covers (I suspect these LRF's actually have high res covers, ie. the D'Artangnan 4 book series recently posted show up with low res Quick Look preview) come across when opened with Quick Look as very low res/downsampled/pixelated.
Those books (which I created) have a 600x400 pixel cover image. Would you consider that to be "low resolution"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Dave,

I have only a small knowledge of the LRF format - there's an easily accessible GIF in most files, but I don't know how to find the higher res images that may be in the file at the moment. There isn't any readily available clear documentation at present.

Worse, kovidgoyal says that there is no definitive cover image marker - Calibre just makes an educated guess.

I don't have the time at present to put into decoding the LRF format, especially as I have a CyBook Gen 3 and I'm mostly interested in Mobipocket format files.

If anyone can provide an algorithm to locate a likely hi-res cover image in an LRF file, I'll have a go. I'm not familiar enough with Python to follow through the Calibre source. (Also, the Calibre source is BIG!)

As for showing the first page - this is, of course, possible with a QuickLook plug-in, but would require far more work than I can put in. It would need to have a complete BBeB/LRF renderer in the plug-in to create a suitable image.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNB View Post
Paul,

Any way to have the book show the title page or first page of text in the absence of a Cover graphic?

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Well, with the help of some more documentation pointed out to me, and a hex editor and a big dose of optimism, I have a version 1.1 to let you try out. It works on one file I have. But I have very few LRF files, so I've no idea how successful it will be generally.

Version 1.1 has been uploaded to thefirst message in this thread.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If anyone can provide an algorithm to locate a likely hi-res cover image in an LRF file, I'll have a go. I'm not familiar enough with Python to follow through the Calibre source. (Also, the Calibre source is BIG!)
Paul
Advert
Old 10-06-2008, 05:21 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Having realised that I have lots of sample files on-hand at Mobileread (duh!), I find that, as I rather expected, my simplistic approach doesn't work. The cover image isn't always last, and it's sometimes pseudo-encypted.

No time today, perhaps next wekend I'll work on a new version.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, with the help of some more documentation pointed out to me, and a hex editor and a big dose of optimism, I have a version 1.1 to let you try out. It works on one file I have. But I have very few LRF files, so I've no idea how successful it will be generally.

Version 1.1 has been uploaded to thefirst message in this thread.

Paul