Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Talking Which color should I get?

I'm probably going to buy a Kobo at my local Borders tonight. I was wondering, which color should I get? I've never seen the black in person, but I've heard some people thought it looked/felt cheap, rather than the white one. Does the black help with the contrast? Is the black one even available in the US? What are your thoughts?
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I think the white looks cheap. I would not have a Kobo if only the white one existed. The black one feels like a book to me and not a gadget with a big blue dot.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I think this is a very personal decision.
I bought a black one because I thought the white one looked a bit cheap! LOL! I think the black one looks much classier - so we are all different. I also found the blue button to be distracting. On the black model the button is a much more subtle grey.
Also (and probably more importantly) I think the contrast of the page was better with the black one. For me the page looked whiter which in turn made the print look darker. Of course this is an optical illusion as the actual page and print colour don't change just the border of the Kobo around it.

You should look at both yourself and make your own decision - there is no right or wrong answer for everybody.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Whatever you like. Some people prefer the black because the contrast between the surroundings and the screen makes the latter look brighter, as Harley mentioned. For others with the white model, the white blends into the screen and gives the illusion of the screen looking bigger, or it least the contrast isn't as jarring for them. I just went with white because it beckoned to me, and you probably can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by viviena; 08-06-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: clarification
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
EtherealWinter
The Omega and Alpha
EtherealWinter began at the beginning.

White, everything is in black these days, black is too drab. White looks way better.
EtherealWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

The black one seems to show off greasy fingerprints more. The white one shows off dirty fingerprints.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Well, black cars go faster, so by extension a black kobo should do faster page turns.

Actually I got a black one because it does make the display seem lighter. White ones make the display seem more grey.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

And here was I thinking that it was red cars that went faster! LOL. Gotta go with the consensus, it's a matter of personal choice although I am giving much more consideration to selecting a cover for my white Kobo.

At least I have plenty of time as my son wants to buy me a cover for Christmas.
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTracey View Post
And here was I thinking that it was red cars that went faster!
To be 100% accurate it's actually black with red flames down the side. But Kobo don't offer that option.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 AM   #10
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
I got a black Kobo because I didn't like the blue button on the white Kobo's, and I thought the black Kobo's wouldn't show dirty fingerprints as much as the white ones.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Smile

Thanks, guys. Your posts were pretty helpful. However, they only had the white one available!

Apparently, they're selling pretty well. They had told me they were sold out, but they just got a new shipment earlier that day.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
shall1028
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccj1 View Post
However, they only had the white one available!
I wanted either the turquoise or vermilion Kobo but I too settled for the white one.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Mimzy
Mimzy began at the beginning.

Buy whatever colour you want and then get a Gela Skin to cover it! You can even create a custom skin (if you don't like any of their artists) if you would like. I've been trying to force a more arty friend of mine into making me a decent 'Hitchhiker's Guide' looking cover, but she's being slow so I can't tell you if they're a decent quality or not from personal experience. But at least it wouldn't matter what colour Kobo you get.
Mimzy is offline   Reply With Quote