Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #256
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
** Grmbl. **

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-17-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Double posting. -_-"
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #257
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
NiLuJe

I'm using all your files for the DXi, and the update ran properly but 'failed' as the instructions say it should do.

I'll do your dummy update and post the log file when I am back in the office on Tuesday.

Many thanks for your kind assistance.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #258
mikeage
mikeage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hi NiLuJe,

In kindle-2.5-usbnetwork-0.11.N.zip, did you intend to include usbstorage in src/usbnet/?

It's not there, and my log file is complaining about a failed chmod.

Quote:
usbnetwork v0.11.N, Wed Dec 31 23:25:52 PST 1969
chmod: /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbstorage: No such file or directory
Thanks
mikeage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #259
mikeage

One other note.

NiLuJe, you've done some great work in packaging these hacks in an elegant and user friendly way. However, it seems like a common mistake is forgetting to copy a directory from the src/ subdirectory of the installation ZIP. Without this directory, the log files are not created at all!

May I suggest having the logger fall back on the root directory if the appropriate linkss/linkfonts/usbnet directory is not present?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #260
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mikeage: Yep, forgot about that, it was there as a first attempt to switch between usbnet/usbstorage without rebooting, until I figured that using the `usbNetwork private command as a toggle would be way simpler/easier. I'll fix the other scripts to reflect that this one doesn't exist anymore, thanks .

As for not copying the directory, that was initially done on purpose with the fonts/ss hacks to avoid doing too much IO interaction with a live rw / mounted during the update process. And when tweaking the usbnet hack, I followed the same principle... But unlike the ss/fonts hack, in this case we really need the directory to be here during the install, and I didn't think about that... ^^ I realize now that it's probably not the most user-friendly way to do things... (And quite possibly a not so great idea after all, since apparently it can be confusing both at the initial install, and even more so when doing an update that you'll have to handle the custom directory yourself... :/).

As for the logging, since I was originally only tweaking the fonts/ss hacks, and they don't really do any logging, I didn't really pay particular attention to the usbnet logging and foolproofing in general, I'll fix that too, thanks for catching all that .

EDIT: Fixed! I updated the attachment in the first post. Thanks for your detailed reports .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-18-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #261
rbbcpa
rbbcpa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Cool Jailbreak

Does the 2.5.x jailbreak allow me to install hacks that were available for the 2.3.x firmware? I am trying to find a hack to disable the screensaver altogether so I don't have to worry about my device timing out when using my Guardian case. Also, will I still receive the auto-updates of the device firmware with the jailbreak applied. Thanks.
rbbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #262
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@rbbcpa: Not sure, since the 2.3 hacks packages used an exploit which has been plugged since. You'd better ask for someone to repackage it properly for v2.5.

And, more specifically, if you're talking about ebs' screensavers timeout hack, check https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=59 .

The jailbreak in itself (at least this one and clarknova's) won't block auto-updates, no, but other hacks might. (the timeout hack does, for example, while these fonts/ss/usbnet hacks are update-safe).
Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #263
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Minor bugfix update. (v0.8.N & v3.5.N). Unless you have custom screensavers with spaces or special characters in their filename, and are using the random screensavers feature, it's not a critical update, check the ChangeLog.

To update to this version (whatever version you're actually using), you'll have to both update the content of the linkfonts & linkss folders, *and* run the latest update*_install.bin file(s). (You don't have to do an uninstall beforehand). Once that's done, do a full restart of your Kindle.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-19-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #264
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
NiLuJe

I tried everything again with a clear head and a break of a few days and yey! It all worked - I have my custom screensavers and fontin font. So no need to publish the dummy log file.

Thanks for your help.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #265
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Glad to hear that .
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #266
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Huh. Okay, found out why it failed to trap the K2 US 2.5.4 OTA update. -_-"

Minor bugfix update. (v0.9.N & v3.6.N). Unless you care about trapping official update files, it's not a critical update, check the Changelog.

If you're updating from v3.5.N/v0.8.N, you just have to update the content of the linkfonts & linkss folders. No need to run the update*.bin file, no need to restart your Kindle .
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #267
mikeage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
EDIT: Fixed! I updated the attachment in the first post. Thanks for your detailed reports .
Been away for a while, but just got my kindle and PC in the same room. New USB package works perfectly.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:30 AM   #268
rbbcpa
rbbcpa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Thanks for your response. That was fast and very helpful.
rbbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #269
OhEmGee!
Reader
OhEmGee! began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3-3g, Sony PRS600
It's fantastic the way y'all work at this and then answer our questions. Many thanks! I'm so glad this board is here. 'nuff butt sniffing . I, too, have a question.

When you say "trap the updates", does that mean catch them and update the Kindle when Amazon sends updates, or does it mean it traps the updates and prevents the Kindle from automatically updating?

I prefer to decide for myself whether to update, especially after this last go around where many had the new update and were without the hacks for weeks. I'd rather do without an update and be able to read on fonts that don't make my eyes bleed.

OhEmGee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #270
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I mean it'll store the update in a subfolder just before the update itself is launched.

It'll still update automatically, but you'll have access to the updatefile afterwards, instead of it being deleted after being applied.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet