Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 09:44 PM   #241
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
Thanks, I really appreciate your time and effort. At 72 I am still learning and trying to stay in touch with all the new stuff that keeps coming my way. Every once in a while, I get lost and even bewildered. And much thanks.
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #242
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Could you put this on your to-do list please tomorrow NiLuJe? As you know I got caught between all the different versions you put on; plus had installed clarknova's jailbreak before that. I have done a log like Granvillen has and could you check that I have all your hacks (the three of them including jailbreak) so I know that I can most likely receive updates without having to do this again? I am using your font too btw.

Thankyou
Attached Files
File Type: doc Dummy Test Install.doc (85.0 KB, 439 views)
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #243
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Pushka: Looks like the ScreenSavers hack isn't stopping correctly... What version do you have installed? (Look in the linkss/info.txt file)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #244
wilbur9
wilbur9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
reboot vs restart

Hi all,
I know how to do a restart but what is the difference between reboot and restart....

Also, how do you do a reboot on the K2 US.. (again I know how to do a restart!)

Thanks,

Willbur
wilbur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #245
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@wilbur9: Same thing, in that context, when I say reboot or restart your Kindle, I mean do a restart
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #246
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Pushka: Looks like the ScreenSavers hack isn't stopping correctly... What version do you have installed? (Look in the linkss/info.txt file)
This is what is in the text file

$Id: info.txt 6416 2010-07-01 18:20:03Z NiLuJe $

Hello! If you're wondering what all this weird stuff on your Kindle is,
I'm a screen savers hack! There's a good chance that I came from here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

I'm at version 0.5.N, so, if you wish to uninstall me, you'll at least need
the uninstaller from that version.

-- NiLuJe

Is this version available now? Do I need to uninstall it (in which case, I only seem to have .6n zip file) before upgrading to .7?

Last edited by Pushka; 07-13-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 AM   #247
Pushka
Wizard

Ok, I used the .6 uninstall file, and my screensavers were replaced, so the uninstall worked fine; loaded up the .7 version which is current, my screensavers are now back, but your note in the text file still says I am on .5 Not a biggie, all is working well but seems a little strange.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 AM   #248
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You also need to update the content of the linkss/ folder on your Kindle with what's in the latest zipfile . And probably do a full restart after that, just to make sure.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:53 AM   #249
Pushka
Wizard

Ok, just loaded up the updated links file to the root directiry, allowed files to be copied over existing same names; the option to update the kindle was greyed, so I just restarted it and sure enough, your note for 7.n is sitting there.

Please Amazon, no updates for a while....

Thanks again NiLu Je.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #250
irha
irha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Now, eject your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. It should be quick, and it should FAIL (With a U006 error, in the bottom left corner of the screen). It's completely normal, intended, and harmless.
How do I know if the jailbreak worked? For me, I never see this error, so does this mean it worked or not? I installed the screensaver hack after that and it seems to have worked, as I see that message when I slide the power switch.

The reason I am doubting if it worked is that I am also trying the usbnetwork install, but it doesn't seem to work (no log file created and no usbnet directory at the root). I would appreciate any help.
irha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:58 AM   #251
lucadita
lucadita began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
Quote:
Originally Posted by irha View Post

The reason I am doubting if it worked is that I am also trying the usbnetwork install, but it doesn't seem to work (no log file created and no usbnet directory at the root). I would appreciate any help.
I have the same problem:
after installed usbnetwork*.bin for my dxg kindle I can't find any usbnet directory...

If I enter in debug mode
;debugON
and the I write:
'usbNetork
an I connect the kindle via USB, it is reconize as storage device...

any ideas?
thanks
Luca
lucadita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #252
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irha View Post
How do I know if the jailbreak worked? For me, I never see this error, so does this mean it worked or not? I installed the screensaver hack after that and it seems to have worked, as I see that message when I slide the power switch.

If the jailbreak failed to install, you wouldn't be able to install any hacks. Any hack update would fail with a U007 error. (It flashes briefly on the lower left corner of the screen at the end, you might have missed it).

So, what 'message' are you speaking about with 'I see that message when I slide the power switch'?

Also, @irha/@lucadita re: usbnetwork: Usually, no support *means* no support... ^^ But, as long as the update file ran (ie. jailbreak ok), there *is* a log file [EDIT: Unless you forgot to upload the usbnet directory beforehand. The installer now handle this case and warns you that you messed up]. And you upload the usbnet directory yourself, like with the other hacks.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-18-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:41 AM   #253
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It only took me about a half an hour to install the jailbreak, the font hack (and figure out which font I liked best), install the screensaver hack and screensavers.

Thanks for consolidating all the info!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #254
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Can't get it to work on DXi

I have both the font hack and the screensavers hack working beautifully on my K2i, though I did have to mix and match a bit and I used clarknova's jailbreak followed by the font hack and screensaver hack here, using the instructions on the wiki.

I went back to the wiki upon arrival of my mint condition slightly used DXi - the older white version - and followed all the instructions exactly as for the K2i but with the DXi files - and b*ggred if I can get it to work!

The initial jailbreak does 'fail' with a message on the screen and a big cross as expected. I then run the font hack (haven't tried the screensaver one yet). But even after restarting, I still have the standard fonts. I have replaced the fonts with the Fontin2 ones the same as on my K2i as I really like that font.

When I ran the clarknova jailbreak on my K2i, it didn't fail. Is this the difference? But when I link through to clarknova's jailbreaks, I can't find one for DXi to try it - just K2i and K3i (what's K3i?).

Hope someone can spread some light. I won't be able to try again until Tuesday as I locked the DXi away in my work desk drawer.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #255
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@suecsi: The fact that a jailbreak didn't fail probably means that it was already jailbroken. Never actually tried that, but the fact is, on a vanilla Kindle, *any* jailbreak hack *fails*.

Regarding the fonts hack, I'm assuming the update itself was successful? If that's the case, make sure you're not missing anything in the linkfonts folder, and that it's in the right place on your Kindle.

Also, are you sure you don't have another font hack installed (or badly uninstalled)?

(As for k3/k3i, that's what the DX/DXi are called sometimes by the hacked update packager. It might become even more confusing when the actual k3 comes out, that's why I switched to using dx/dxi/dxg).

You can check some of these facts by running the dummy update here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...chmentid=55475, and attaching the dummy_testupdate.log file that'll have been created in the root of your Kindle to your next reply.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-19-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet