Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
New Kindle app running after upgrade.

I notice that my GSam battery monitor shows an app called, com.nokia.odnp.service labeled as a Kindle app using more of my battery energy than any other app since the firmware upgrade to 7.3.0.

What is that app? It is labeled as a Kindle app. What does it do?

Since I do a full shut down every night, it is shut down along with all my other apps so it can't drain energy over night.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
It has to do with this:

Amazon reportedly taps Nokia for maps on upcoming Kindle Fire
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/30/32...kia-maps-rumor

Others are also complaining too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...x33WDAUPOFKREP

I think they might be about to make an announcement or something. Not very nice that it's draining the battery though.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for those links. Its too bad Amazon inserts the app without asking us. I'm really not interested in a map app for my KFHD7-32. Plus, they have given us the energy draining app without the maps at this time.

This app now forces me to use Shut Down mode all the time if I don't believe I'll be using the device for awhile.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Thanks for those links. Its too bad Amazon inserts the app without asking us. I'm really not interested in a map app for my KFHD7-32. Plus, they have given us the energy draining app without the maps at this time.

This app now forces me to use Shut Down mode all the time if I don't believe I'll be using the device for awhile.

You may be able to use an App Manager to potentially shut this off.

Watchdog: http://www.amazon.com/Zomut-LLC-Watc...f=pd_sim_mas_2

Startup Manager: http://www.amazon.com/DownloadAndroi...tartup+manager

Startup Cleaner: http://www.1mobile.com/startup-cleaner-2.0-97574.html

Last edited by obsessed2; 04-06-2013 at 10:21 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard

KIndle App may be necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
You may be able to use an App Manager to potentially shut this off.

Watchdog: http://www.amazon.com/Zomut-LLC-Watc...f=pd_sim_mas_2

Startup Manager: http://www.amazon.com/DownloadAndroi...tartup+manager

Startup Cleaner: http://www.1mobile.com/startup-cleaner-2.0-97574.html
Since that app is a Kindle branded app, it may cause some problems to shut it down entirely. Thus, using Shut Down mode when not in use, is the best approach. Firmware 7.3.0 may require its presence.
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Did you try turning off the location services to see if that helps alleviate the issue?
(I realize your hardware probably doesn't have a GPS receiver and uses WiFi location services based on IP instead, but there may still be hooks to the service from the nokia app that shutting the service down would put a stop to.)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard

Force Shut Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Did you try turning off the location services to see if that helps alleviate the issue.
(I realize your hardware probably doesn't have a GPS receiver and uses WiFi location services based on IP instead, but there may still be hooks to the service from the nokia app that shutting the service down would put a stop to.)
If one goes to Apps from the main menu, one can use a Force Shut Down for that app and end it entirely. It does not offer an option to uninstall it.

If one does this, it could cause problems with Firmware 7.3.0 and may require a Factory Reset to correct the new problems.

If one shuts down location services, then the Amazon Store may not operate properly since it filters out non-US locations and will not serve them.

The other possibility is that GSam is not calculating its energy usage properly. It may not be a problem at all.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
dthurm
dthurm began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge, kindle fire HD 7"
How to reduce the battery drain associated with recent update

[QUOTE=sirmaru;2474670]I notice that my GSam battery monitor shows an app called, com.nokia.odnp.service labeled as a Kindle app using more of my battery energy than any other app since the firmware upgrade to 7.3.0.

Since I do a full shut down every night, it is shut down along with all my other apps so it can't drain energy over night.[/QUOTE

The unknown app is associated with the location based services, if you turn off the service the battery drain will stop.
dthurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard

How to turn off location services?

[QUOTE=dthurm;2475570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I notice that my GSam battery monitor shows an app called, com.nokia.odnp.service labeled as a Kindle app using more of my battery energy than any other app since the firmware upgrade to 7.3.0.

Since I do a full shut down every night, it is shut down along with all my other apps so it can't drain energy over night.[/QUOTE

The unknown app is associated with the location based services, if you turn off the service the battery drain will stop.
Okay, thanks, I figured it out. I went to down sweep / more / Location Services and disabled it. The app is now disabled. That should do it until Amazon sends the next firmware upgrade.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-07-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's what I was trying (but obviously failing at miserably) to tell you to do in my previous post.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's what I was trying (but obviously failing at miserably) to tell you to do in my previous post.
Thanks, as well. I had been losing 1% of battery energy every 10 minutes when that app was running in sleep mode. Now I am not losing any energy in sleep mode.

Obviously, Amazon should explain what this app does and fix it so it only burns energy when we are actually using it for something.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

It might be hit or miss. I've updated now to 7.3.0 and I can't notice any difference with locations-based services turned on OR off. In fact, I've yet to catch the com.nokia.odnp.service app running or see it even show up in the GSam Battery Monitor.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
dthurm
dthurm began at the beginning.

Device: entourage pocket edge, kindle fire HD 7"
I spent a rather unproductive hour and a half with Amazon yesterday trying resolve why this app was included with the 7.3 update. I initially sent an email and got a rather deficient reply, then did a live chat and again got very poor response (both of those I communicated with did not have english as a first language and it made communication difficult at best). After some frustration I was kicked up to a higher level of assistance who was far better at communicating. This person insisted this was not a Amazon initiated app and the solution was to reset my Kindle hd to factory default...which I was unwilling to do.
Unless more folks complain directly to Amazon the battery drain associated with the app contained in the recent update (in spite of Amazon's denial) issue may go unresolved. The Gsam battery monitor (App sucker) identifies this as a kindle system app that cannot be accessed. The only way to stop this app & it's associated battery drain is to turn off the location based services.
dthurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
sirmaru
Wizard

Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthurm View Post
Unless more folks complain directly to Amazon the battery drain associated with the app contained in the recent update (in spite of Amazon's denial) issue may go unresolved. The Gsam battery monitor (App sucker) identifies this as a kindle system app that cannot be accessed. The only way to stop this app & it's associated battery drain is to turn off the location based services.
I turned off location services and that app does not run at all now. I'm still not sure what location services do anyway.

If one goes to the App section of Settings, that app can have a Forced Shut Down. It cannot be uninstalled since it is there with a Kindle brand.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I almost always do a factory reset after a firmware update... just a habit I got into a long time ago. I can assure you that the service in question is still there after a reset (and occasionally shows up in GSam's list of apps, but it doesn't noticeably affect the drain on my battery whether the Location-based services are on or off.

The idea that it's not an Amazon initiated app is ludicrous, of course--update, factory-reset ... there it is. But if my device is any indication, the factory reset does seem to tame the beast. It's understandable that not everyone is willing to take that semi-drastic step, though.

They'll probably deny it's any of their doing right up until the bugfix update is released that takes care of it.

Tags
com.nokia.odnp.service