Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Anybody with a broken screen yet?

I've seen a few threads on the Amazon Kindle forums recently from people who have broken the screens on their Kindle Fires.

It seems that Amazon is chargng a 100$ replacement fee (as opposed to a free replacement that seems to be the rule with the e-ink kindles).

Of course some posters are raising hell that they did nothing drastic at all and it "broke all by itself", the device being defective for breaking so easily et cetera...

I was wondering whether anybody here had heard something similar. I specifically bought the Kindle Fire because I broke a Kindle 3G myself (which was replaced by Amazon) and wanted a more sturdy device. So far I have been more than happy with the stability of the Fire (OK, haven't dropped it so far), but am considering to put some protection on it. (In addition to the not-very-protecting Timbuk2 pouch that already did not protect my Kindle 3)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Self breaking screens, sorry, probably the same self destroying mechanisms that happened to iPhones and other stuff.

To be honest, I do not believe a single word of these excuses.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Rumor has it that these broken screens occurred as a result of installing Go Launcher EX.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Me either. I personally believe that with the introduction of accelerometers, people have started to become more reckless with their devices because of the games that have come out using them as the main controls.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
@obsessed2: than I am twice on the lucky side, having a undamaged screen and running Go without issues...

YMMD
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
I've seen a few threads on the Amazon Kindle forums recently from people who have broken the screens on their Kindle Fires.

It seems that Amazon is chargng a 100$ replacement fee (as opposed to a free replacement that seems to be the rule with the e-ink kindles).

Of course some posters are raising hell that they did nothing drastic at all and it "broke all by itself", the device being defective for breaking so easily et cetera...

I was wondering whether anybody here had heard something similar. I specifically bought the Kindle Fire because I broke a Kindle 3G myself (which was replaced by Amazon) and wanted a more sturdy device. So far I have been more than happy with the stability of the Fire (OK, haven't dropped it so far), but am considering to put some protection on it. (In addition to the not-very-protecting Timbuk2 pouch that already did not protect my Kindle 3)

Best regards,
Andy
It seems that no matter how careful I am with something, I will eventually drop it. I have dropped the KF twice but I've been lucky enough not to break it. It seemed like I dropped the K2 once or twice a week so I'm hoping to continue to be lucky with this thing. I'm not sure if I would pay the$100 to have it replace or use it to save for an iPad. I'm sure I couldn't stand to be without something like it for too long. I use it all day long.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Rumor has it that these broken screens occurred as a result of installing Go Launcher EX.

I think it would take alot of effort to break the Fire's screen. It's gorilla glass! Not saying it couldn't be done but I don't see it being that easy.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
tstarky
Next mood swing...6 min
tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tstarky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Fire, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post

Really? LOL I don't believe my 4 yr old when she says "It broke all by itself" and I surely don't believe anyone old enough to peck that lame statement out on a computer. Who do they think they are fooling?
tstarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi I saw this DROP TEST
your mileage may vary. But I am personally very careful with my electronics gear.

I Carried around My 13 inch white Macbook for 4.5 years
from living in Virginia up the coast to New jersey.

Only dropped after it once while still in the shoulder case in which had installed some extra styrofoam.

People may call this stuff "adult toys" but we should not treat them as such.

Last edited by Anabran; 03-01-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Wow. That drop test was pretty cool! I halfway expected it, though, as soon as they did the face-down test. I figured the bezel would absorb the damage better on the Nook.

I'm quite lucky with mine being undamaged. The 5-month-old demon spawn is getting into the wonderful habit of slapping at things when being held, and he's POW'd it out of my fingertips a few times when I'm showing him goofy stuff on youtube. Doesn't help that I have a piano app thing that he like to play with and listen to the sounds.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
tracys3sons
tracys3sons began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
I dropped my fire yesterday and it landed directly face down. Luckily, no damage.I do have it in a case but it was open at the time, making the case useless.

I did break the glass on my brand new iphone 3gs a couple of years ago. It was such a hairline crack and I honestly have no idea what happened to it. I was using it and 10 min. later there was a crack, but I hadn't dropped it. It was faint it didn't bother me but later that year I went to the apple store for something else and they gave me a new phone saying for the crack to be that faint it had to be a defect and not something I did to it. I didn't complain, I got a new phone and I think it was only days before the 1-year warranty expired. I was happy however they wanted to justify the crack!
tracys3sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
When I got my iPad, I immediately put it into an XGEAR Shield (Polycarbonate shell and bumper, see here: http://www.xgearlive.com/products/ipad/pad-shield ) and put a screen protector on it, because the main users are my 2 boys aged 8 and 7.

Now, of course it does not look/feel so nice and sleek as the iPad 2 or the ones without such protection, but on the other hand it has kept it alive and through quite a few bumps and drops so far :-)

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
stanleystarrh
Banned
stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stanleystarrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Holy crap.. that's why i purchased my screen protector from ArmorSuit through Amazon incase.

It's been a great protector & very durable, wish you guys the best!
stanleystarrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Buggadoo
Buggadoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
2 x broken screen

Both of my daughters have Kindle Fire and they can't live without them. Last week one of them dropped her Kindle on the hardwood floor and broke the screen. I called Amazon but apparently this spider-web kind of damage on the screen is not covered by warranty so the only thing they can do is replace the whole Kindle with a new one at a discounted price ($100). The other option is to find a local electronics store that can possibly replace the screen for $50.

I was just getting my mind around what to do when yesterday my other daughter dropped her Kindle on the hardwood floor and broke the screen. Now I have to deal with two.

To answer your question about how durable the Kindle Fires are…this was not the first time either of them have dropped their Kindles. I think the screens are pretty durable but it also depends how and where you drop it. Hope this helps.
Buggadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggadoo View Post
I was just getting my mind around what to do when yesterday my other daughter dropped her Kindle on the hardwood floor and broke the screen. Now I have to deal with two.
After you get replacements, you might consider getting some heavy duty cases for them: Ballistic, Griffin, Gumdrop, OtterBox, Seidio, etc.

I put my grandson's Fire 2 in a Gumdrop case and my Fire HD 8.9 in an OtterBox case. My Nexus 7 is in a BobjGear case.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote