Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Gmail new look?

How do you like the new look for Gmail? I like the HD themes a lot better than the old theme's.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes. When they previewed it, I didn't like it at all and switched back to Classic. But with the new HD themes (I'm using Treetops) and the "Comfortable/Cosy/Compact" (using "Comfortable" on a larger screen) options, I'm actually liking it.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Nothing's changed at my end. Do you find the way the threads are displayed confusing? The way they concertina up. It's taken me a while to get my head around it. No other mail reader works like it.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Nothing's changed at my end. Do you find the way the threads are displayed confusing? The way they concertina up. It's taken me a while to get my head around it. No other mail reader works like it.
The new look, if available to you, will make itself available via a little link down on the bottom right of the GMail screen. In "plain" form, I find it a bit too grey and spartan and not delineated enough, but with that "treetops" theme it seems to be a bit more comfortable to look at. There are a few themes to try though, and you don't have to go to the "HD" picture ones of course.

I find the conversation view annoying on the iPad, as it tends to be a bit finicky, collapsing and expanding sometimes in seeming random ways, but that usually only happens when I'm trying to find my way back in a conversation, expanding the stuff I've already read.

FWIW, I think you can eliminate the "Conversation" view if you don't like it...somewhere under the settings area.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I decided on the 'Ocean View' since I can't just look out the window or walk down to the end of my street...

Do I sound jealous?

My gmail doesn't lend itself to conversations, since it's my disposable address. It sure is good on the spam filter, though.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like the new look. I'm using TeaHouse. I'm surprised everyone isn't using that one.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm kinda digging the new look. I like the HD themes.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I was using desk and still use desk... Don't like pictures as backgrounds...

And I've not really seen any real difference between the old and new look....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think I like the old look better. The new "modern" look greys things out too much and makes it more difficult to read.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Very nice. Molto bello. Comfortable and soft gray. Modern.
Of the HD I like the stones particularly.

Except that on the Mac, Ipad and Itouch I use the Mail application that works with my different accounts more easily. And for the work mails I use Thunderbird.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Until I stumbled upon Comfortable/Cosy/Compact, I wanted to ask them to reduce the spacing ASAP.
However, Compact does it and I used to other icons in the new Calendar interface.
All in all, it is not bad. I am glad they added "gadgets" because I never used chat and hated to see it, now I got rid of chat, invitations etc.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I hate it. I use priority view and it appears they got rid of archive all on the everythine else list.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Don't like pictures as backgrounds...

Light is mine. I tried wood and a few others but they proved to be only distractions.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

Light is mine. I tried wood and a few others but they proved to be only distractions.
Yes, that's what I tried too. I liked the stones as a picture, but hated it as a distracting Theme. I unexpectedly liked Treetops because it placed the detail (the leaves) out of the way on the lower right, and just left me with the simple sky blue. Otherwise I too tend to avoid picture backgrounds in all but my Desktop (and there go for similar pictures with majority areas of "smooth" low detail).

I did like getting rid of the Chat bit too.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
I decided on the 'Ocean View' since I can't just look out the window or walk down to the end of my street...

Do I sound jealous?

My gmail doesn't lend itself to conversations, since it's my disposable address. It sure is good on the spam filter, though.
Most of our windows, and our balconies, face west so I can't see the ocean...just the river and the lakes and the sun setting over the hills of the hinterlands. Unless I walk down to the end of my street, of course, when I can see or swim in the ocean just fine.

Cheers,
Marc